Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shipwreck may solve mystery of the Amber Room

Eldorado

Polish divers have uncovered the wreckage of a German World War Two ship which may help to solve the mystery of the Amber Room - a stolen tsarist Russian chamber that has not been seen since 1945.

The room, built in 18th century Prussia as a gift to Tsar Peter the Great, was considered an eighth wonder of the world for the amber and gold leaf panels it was adorned with.

Full monty at the UK Independent: Link

Same story at the UK Guardian: Link

The cruiser Karlsruhe (sunk 1940): Wikipedia

The Amber Room: Wikipedia

How can a ship that sank in 1940 hold loot that disappeared in 1945?

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Related:

• Like 5

If something could be found, i would prefer to see these crates raised up and put in protected environment than opening them at 500m depth.

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 2

I read this yesterday somewhere. Apparently there were two ships with the same name, the warship sunk in 1940 and this passenger ship they just found that was carrying fleeing people from Poland in 1945 or 46. The second is the one they believe might have been carrying the Amber Room as it left from the same city the room was last seen in. Time will tell I guess. Would be a nice "mystery solved" if true.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, skliss said:

I read this yesterday somewhere. Apparently there were two ships with the same name, the warship sunk in 1940 and this passenger ship they just found that was carrying fleeing people from Poland in 1945 or 46. The second is the one they believe might have been carrying the Amber Room as it left from the same city the room was last seen in. Time will tell I guess. Would be a nice "mystery solved" if true.

Well that's confusing, two ships with the same name. It looks like my 'related topic' post isn't as related as I thought. Sorry about that and thank you for the info.

• Like 2

This was known as Operation Hannibal.I looked it up on Wikipedia.yes, they were carrying people from Poland, Courland ,etc. It was one of the largest evacuation by sea in history. My grandmother's family the Steldts and relatives lived in Riga and Libau, and there may have been some relatives on mine aboard those ships. My father's cousin Generaloberst Carl Hilpert was commander of Army Group Courland (Kurland in german) .It had been known before as Army Group North, but when they got trapped in a part of Latvia called Courland, the Army Group name was changed to where they were at. Admiral Donitz after Hitler's death took over as Reich president.He promised Carl that combat troops would have priority, but because of the british and I guess their closeness to Berlin, never happend. He surrended himself and his troops to the Russians. He died in the late 1940s as a prisioner of war of the Russians.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3