Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Galaxies trapped in supermassive black hole

Eldorado

With the help of ESO's Very Large Telescope (VLT), astronomers have found six galaxies lying around a supermassive black hole when the Universe was less than a billion years old.

This is the first time such a close grouping has been seen so soon after the Big Bang and the finding helps us better understand how supermassive black holes, one of which exists at the centre of our Milky Way, formed and grew to their enormous sizes so quickly.

It supports the theory that black holes can grow rapidly within large, web-like structures which contain plenty of gas to fuel them.

Full script at Phys Org: link

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

With the help of ESO's Very Large Telescope (VLT), astronomers have found six galaxies lying around a supermassive black hole when the Universe was less than a billion years old.

This is the first time such a close grouping has been seen so soon after the Big Bang and the finding helps us better understand how supermassive black holes, one of which exists at the centre of our Milky Way, formed and grew to their enormous sizes so quickly.

It supports the theory that black holes can grow rapidly within large, web-like structures which contain plenty of gas to fuel them.

Full script at Phys Org: link

yep we have a black hole in our galaxy thats sucking in :(

3 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

yep we have a black hole in our galaxy thats sucking in :(

It's a creation (star generating) engine. It sucks in cold stuff and pumps out hot stuff. It actually has stars in a stable orbits around it

Edited by Piney
  • Like 2

I have no idea of celestial mechanics or any of the other sciences that go with it it,but am thinking that eventually the black holes will devour all matter and then each other in attrition ?Then the big shrink?

7 hours ago, marktime said:

I have no idea of celestial mechanics or any of the other sciences that go with it it,but am thinking that eventually the black holes will devour all matter and then each other in attrition ?Then the big shrink?

If someone wiser could verify but I think blackholes only pull in anything that get to close and as they do they grow, although things in orbit will always stay there. Well unless something redirected something in orbit or somehow the black hole got enough matter to expand everything around black holes are pretty much safe.  Do remember that everything is actually moving away from each other. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Piney.Just read your post on black holes being a creation star and generating more stars..sucking in cold and pumping out hot . I will check if there is some layman's explanation for that ,can you point me to a good source ? fascinating stuff man. My Bad I've just red the link in the OP. new here so...

Edited by marktime
add