Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fresh Start for Windows 10

Vorg

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012986/windows-security-track-device-performance-health

If you meet system requirements, you'll also see the Fresh start option, which helps you refresh your device by reinstalling and updating Windows 10. Fresh start can be useful if your device has performance issues, if the memory is full, or if you have too many unused apps. Using Fresh start, you can refresh your PC without losing your settings or your personal files and photos. Fresh start can improve your device's startup and shutdown process, memory usage, browsing, battery life, and the performance for Microsoft Store apps.

You will have to reinstall anything that didn't come with Windows 10, so read the link carefully.

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

God, I hate Windows 10.

Why don't Microsoft do a total one-eighty, and work on a user-friendly and half ****ing decent Windows 11?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, acute said:

God, I hate Windows 10.

Why don't Microsoft do a total one-eighty, and work on a user-friendly and half ****ing decent Windows 11?

So do I. I always used Windows 7, but there are a few games that wouldn't play on anything but Windows 10.

• Like 1

Just now, South Alabam said:

So do I. I always used Windows 7, but there are a few games that wouldn't play on anything but Windows 10.

I replaced my Windows 7 laptop when Microsoft stopped supporting it with updates and patches. Basically, it became unsafe to use.

It was the best version of Windows ever!  I never had a "Working....." message from Windows 7.  Everything was instant.

8 and 8.1 were a joke, and Windows 10 is worse!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Agreed Windows 7 was the best, but with the lack of support it had to go. :(

na, in my opinion regarding music software XP was the best- by far:tu:

I hate microsoft so much I bought a Macbook and I love it.  It is 11 years old and just starting to have problems, so I will probably get a new one soon. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I hate microsoft so much I bought a Macbook and I love it.  It is 11 years old and just starting to have problems, so I will probably get a new one soon. 

what do you use your computer for?

3 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

what do you use your computer for?

I use it for writing, email, downloading music, audio books, e-books, photos, browsing the internet.  What else is there?  I have to use a windows OS computer for work and I agree with someone who said XP was better than anything that has come after it.  I actually think Windows 3 was better but that is because I am old.  XP was when things started going south.

5 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

What else is there? 

tons more... depends on what software you're using, & what you want to do. Windows covers everything, Apple doesn't

Our office switched to 10 on one machine only because most of our clients were using 10 and we needed to familiarize ourselves with the layout. After some judicial cleaning 10 runs much faster then our other machines except for one XP laptop. Of course the 10 machine wasn't purchased at a box store and all the extra junk that comes prepackaged was absent.

There really isn't any reason in my opinion to upgrade to 10 just because Win 7 or XP has lost support from MS. Now of course any newer software probably won't run on the older OS but what we use them for there isn't any hurry to upgrade.

Older OS's won't run on the newer processor's either so that one thing to consider.

What a lot people don't know is that MS supported XP through 2019 for ATM machines and updates were still available for them. A simple registry hack would fool the update service into thinking it was a ATM :D it was referred to as POSReady but of course all you got was security updates. But it seems they didn't do the same for 7.

I got rid of all the big bling type icons and shrunk them down to the small size because lets face the 10 start menu is a freaky nightmare of contrasting colors. My start menu now resembles Linux Mint more than it does 10.

• Thanks 1

Nope i dont like 10 so much i refuse to use it, imnsho 10 was more MS going into a force and control the user idea.

My music gear runs 7 ( xp was ok but 7 is better ) updates are moot, it works and will keep working, i dont use music gear to "surf" but if i did i would take precautions and not worry, ive been online since 95 was infected once on 98 and that was from a buddy being a cheesedick.

Now if a person needs things only 10 can provide go wild but im not there,

I sure wouldnt dump a good working comp just because its on 7

• Thanks 1

The best fresh start would be to delete the whole blinking thing and start again with Windows 95 or something.

• Like 1

I use Windows 10, no complaints from me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dejarma said:

tons more... depends on what software you're using, & what you want to do. Windows covers everything, Apple doesn't

Like what?  I don't do movies, gaming or art, but I know that 20 years ago apple was what was used in the movie industry because microsoft was too slow, and because it took a lot more hardware to run the software.  There were other brands that were made specifically for gaming, like Acer, which I think is gone now.  

On 10/3/2020 at 2:03 AM, Buzz_Light_Year said:

there isn't any hurry to upgrade.

You can't upgrade a Windows 7 laptop to Win10 anymore, can you?

5 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

You can. I did it on my Windows 7 to check out Windows 10 a few months ago, and this article is from 28 Sep 2020.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

How about that, eh?

Obviously I haven't read the whole thing, but it appears that I may be able to rejuve my old lappy.

Thank you very very much. :nw:

• Like 1

I'm doing the Fresh Start right now, after having my HDD replaced yesterday.

Hopefully, I will enjoy many years of trouble-free laptop use.

On 10/3/2020 at 4:13 AM, Montmorency the Dog said:

The best fresh start would be to delete the whole blinking thing and start again with Windows 95 or something.

Um, i have legit copies of all the wins but 95 yarg, very unstable doesnt support usb,

Xp is okay but 7 wins for me, if a person likes 10 go for it, i have an online friend who loves his chrome book not my thing either,

The club where i do my big annual show has the same hardware ( mixer/midi ) etc i do but uses a mini mac, it seems to do very well but im not mac.

The only reason I have Windows 10 is because:

A) My other computer died on me

B ) I needed to update my graphics programs and many won't run on XP or Windows 7

C) Windows simply has more to choose from and I am not a programmer so trying to get Linux or other systems to work would be a headache if I do something wrong.

Windows 10 has the weirdest file system and to be honest I am not a fan of it; I mean I have learned some and it was useful especially when I had to uninstall programs then search through other folders to manually delete program folders left behind after uninstalling said programs.

I detest that when I play solitaire or other games that I am assaulted by ads. I like the nicer graphics of the games and is more fun but the ads are not.

I also had to unpin a boatload of tiles that I simply do not use and will have to uninstall Farm Heroes Saga and Candy Crush Friends because I do not do gaming online..that is with other people. A lot of fluff..had to search the internet just to find out how to delete images used for my 'Owner' profile pic.

I mean..I like some things but it should not be a chore just to change owner images or other stuff...I dunno..Microsoft could be doing better and focus more on usability and a bit less on fluff like online games that no one wants really...I downloaded the Majong game from the Microsoft store and uninstalled it a couple days later. If I want to play a game, I wanna play a game and not be forced to watch a bunch of stoopid ads first.

Oh well, it works and I can do more stuff so I won't complain....much.