Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.S Police Forces misconduct thread

Vorg

I am going to start this thread and fully expect to post current examples every single day. Feel free to add current examples, nothing older than the latest post. Do not post too graphic content. This is also to open the eyes of those who think US Police are infallible. 

Almost everyday I see blatant examples of law enforcement engaged in behavior that is uncalled for. Our Military has career ending behavior and our Police Forces should be held to that standard too. I am not anti Police either, just against aggressive Police tactics such as people complying with Police commands facing away from Police arms raised, then suddenly being "tackled" for no reason, and all sorts of other questionable behavior.     

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2019/04/24/usa-today-revealing-misconduct-records-police-cops/3223984002/   85.000 Officers misconduct link

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2019/04/24/biggest-collection-police-accountability-records-ever-assembled/2299127002/   30,000 Officers banned by 44 states for serious misconduct link.

30,000 Officers banned by 44 states is not "a few bad apples" but a whole orchard.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/09/29/san-jose-police-officer-charged-with-misdemeanor-assault-for-rough-arrest-caught-on-camera/

A San Jose police officer has been charged with assault and battery under color of authority for kicking and dragging a woman who was in handcuffs across a parking lot in July in an incident captured on video.

Edited by Saru
Trimmed for length - please try to avoid quoting too much text when quoting news sources.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/03/us/fired-aurora-police-officer-video/index.html

A fired police officer in Aurora, Colorado, said he was "very remorseful" for dismissing the pleas of a Black woman who was upside down with her hands and feet tied together on the floorboard of his patrol car for roughly 21 minutes.

Edited by Saru
Trimmed for length - please try to avoid quoting too much text when quoting news sources.
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

You may find this of interest.

A Cato Institute website dedicated to abolishing Qualified Immunity.

The doctrine of qualified immunity protects public officials from civil liability, even when they break the law, unless a civil rights plaintiff can show that the defendant violated “clearly established law.”

Unlawful Shield: https://www.unlawfulshield.com/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

The doctrine of qualified immunity protects public officials from civil liability, even when they break the law, unless a civil rights plaintiff can show that the defendant violated “clearly established law.”

As it should be abolished, a good cop who does their job correctly would never have to Hide behind this, oh sure some will now go on rants about this bad guy or that, doesnt matter LEOs should have rules to abide by just like everone else,  things like placing a pregnant lady on her belly and kneeling on her her back is good example of a bad cop.

When LEO has to own their actions and face the consequences if they dont it will weed out the bad cops who make excuses why they need this shield.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

That is just the thing, It gets abused. If there is not clearly established local, State, or National laws, the Police can literally get away with anything. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

As it should be abolished, a good cop who does their job correctly would never have to Hide behind this, oh sure some will now go on rants about this bad guy or that, doesnt matter LEOs should have rules to abide by just like everone else,  things like placing a pregnant lady on her belly and kneeling on her her back is good example of a bad cop.

When LEO has to own their actions and face the consequences if they dont it will weed out the bad cops who make excuses why they need this shield.

I've heard of qualified immunity for over a decade, and been watching Police injustice getting worse for the last two decades, so for me this isn't just about these latest protest. I first heard of qualified immunity long ago when Police were searching a house for something and tore the house up. Walls had holes all over, things tore up etc.. nothing was ever found. When the home owners went to sue for damages to repair these things, they were told  "Qualified immunity." Police can be spiteful in cases like this and "Oh well."

To me that is just as bad as them taking two thousand dollars out of my wallet and keeping it because I cannot prove it is not drug related, AKA "Civil forfeiture." They do not have to charge you, or prove it is criminally related, "YOU DO." And the cost to prove that can be more than most could afford making it not worth the effort to recoup. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, South Alabam said:

I've heard of qualified immunity for over a decade, and been watching Police injustice getting worse for the last two decades, so for me this isn't just about these latest protest. I first heard of qualified immunity long ago when Police were searching a house for something and tore the house up. Walls had holes all over, things tore up etc.. nothing was ever found. When the home owners went to sue for damages to repair these things, they were told  "Qualified immunity." Police can be spiteful in cases like this and "Oh well."

To me that is just as bad as them taking two thousand dollars out of my wallet and keeping it because I cannot prove it is not drug related, AKA "Civil forfeiture." They do not have to charge you, or prove it is criminally related, "YOU DO." And the cost to prove that can be more than most could afford making it not worth the effort to recoup. 

That's what they count on in civil forfeiture. That impoverished people cant afford the costs to get their property back. In many cases the legal bill is many multiples of the amount in question. Good post, Bama.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, South Alabam said:

I've heard of qualified immunity for over a decade,

Ive seen it in action in Canada since the seventies. Not as blatant as the U.S though.

• Thanks 3

And when they abolish this flawed shield if a LEO fears they will choke as trump called it and get sued then they can get liability insurance like Drs, businesses etc do,

Im all for adding not taking funding away from police, better training and better accountability, the more recent events are not a case of thats on the rise as we are just seeing more in the evil media,

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, the13bats said:

And when they abolish this flawed shield if a LEO fears they will choke as trump called it and get sued then they can get liability insurance like Drs, businesses etc do,

Im all for adding not taking funding away from police, better training and better accountability, the more recent events are not a case of thats on the rise as we are just seeing more in the evil media,

Even SCJ Sotomeyer said qualified immunity "tells officers that they can shoot first and think later."

And I agree it comes down to training and accountability.

• Like 5

When I was growing up outside St. Louis MO, we had a bad Police Officer who enjoyed mistreating Teenagers. The Guys name was Officer Gates, and he would stop teens for no good reason. It didn't matter what you were doing, he would stop us frisk us and slap us around. Many local parents complained about this guys behavior, and nothing was done. If this guy found anything like a little Pot or even Cigarettes he would slap the teen around and take whatever they were carrying. 

Well after I came home from Basic Training on leave from the Army I hear that the guy had finally received his just reward. He had been reselling the Pot he had confiscated and he was finally caught in the act and prosecuted. It was poetic justice but it never made up for all the crap he put the teens in the area through. I know many people have stories like this, but this is were it starts, and that's why I brought it up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

When I was growing up outside St. Louis MO, we had a bad Police Officer who enjoyed mistreating Teenagers. The Guys name was Officer Gates, and he would stop teens for no good reason. It didn't matter what you were doing, he would stop us frisk us and slap us around. Many local parents complained about this guys behavior, and nothing was done. If this guy found anything like a little Pot or even Cigarettes he would slap the teen around and take whatever they were carrying. 

Well after I came home from Basic Training on leave from the Army I hear that the guy had finally received his just reward. He had been reselling the Pot he had confiscated and he was finally caught in the act and prosecuted. It was poetic justice but it never made up for all the crap he put the teens in the area through. I know many people have stories like this, but this is were it starts, and that's why I brought it up.

I lived in Waterloo, IL when I was a teen.  For a short time the town to the north (which was just south of East St. Louis would gate the highway from East St. Louis from 11pm till 4am because the crime was too much in those late hours.   This didn't last long as they were taken to court for it.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Myles said:

I lived in Waterloo, IL when I was a teen.  For a short time the town to the north (which was just south of East St. Louis would gate the highway from East St. Louis from 11pm till 4am because the crime was too much in those late hours.   This didn't last long as they were taken to court for it.  

Pretty drastic, no doubt.

22 hours ago, Eldorado said:

This is certainly part of the problem, and it is disgusting and unacceptable that we don’t dishonorably discharge police officer, when they dishonor the badge and other officers.

it’s time to crack down on the police. Defunding them is stupid, but I also like Joe Biden‘s idea of finding more psychologists to go into the field, who are not in uniform to try to talk people down.

I’m sick of these commando style raids into private homes for drug offenses, when they are totally unnecessary, and don’t achieve anything but killing innocent people. It’s hard to believe this keeps continuing.

They can arrest these folks while they are away from home, and then go back and do what they need to do, inside the home.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

This is certainly part of the problem, and it is disgusting and unacceptable that we don’t dishonorably discharge police officer, when they dishonor the badge and other officers.

it’s time to crack down on the police. Defunding them is stupid, but I also like Joe Biden‘s idea of finding more psychologists to go into the field, who are not in uniform to try to talk people down.

I’m sick of these commando style raids into private homes for drug offenses, when they are totally unnecessary, and don’t achieve anything but killing innocent people. It’s hard to believe this keeps continuing.

They can arrest these folks while they are away from home, and then go back and do what they need to do, inside the home.

I agree with all of this except the bolded.   How are you going to find psychologists willing to put themselves in danger without police backup.   Maybe having them part of the team.  

I still think the solution is as easy as having complaints and investigation of police officers handled by a remote department with teeth.   Police feel (and many times are) protected by their friends in the department.   I think if this were being taken care of by a remote department, there is no way Chauvin would have done that to Floyd.   At minimum his 18 complaints would have had him with a short leash and he would know that he has to be on his best behavior.   

• Like 2

it needs to be merged with half a dozen of similar threads we had  before 2015, it is trump's fault they got lost, ever since he ran in 2016, like 90% of threads are about him. 

btw i've been contradicting people who said it is few bad apples since ever,   people did not believe me, now they seem to come around

Edited by aztek

1 hour ago, aztek said:

it needs to be merged with half a dozen of similar threads we had  before 2015, it is trump's fault they got lost, ever since he ran in 2016, like 90% of threads are about him. 

btw i've been contradicting people who said it is few bad apples since ever,   people did not believe me, now they seem to come around

These are just the ones that catch national attention. Image the ones not filmed and they get away with on a daily basis. Some would churn stomachs, but that content is not allowed here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I agree with all of this except the bolded.   How are you going to find psychologists willing to put themselves in danger without police backup.   Maybe having them part of the team.  

I still think the solution is as easy as having complaints and investigation of police officers handled by a remote department with teeth.   Police feel (and many times are) protected by their friends in the department.   I think if this were being taken care of by a remote department, there is no way Chauvin would have done that to Floyd.   At minimum his 18 complaints would have had him with a short leash and he would know that he has to be on his best behavior.   

A few years ago, a disabled young man, who was in a crisis, and carrying a screwdriver inside his own home; was murdered by the police. This, after his parents called 911.

I think that’s the first vigil I’ve ever attended, and nothing happened to that police officer. The last I checked, he kept his job, or later moved to a nearby police department.

The state murdered that young, white man. It was nothing short of murder, for hire. The parents were furious.

There are more responsible ways of dealing with many of these types of situations.

There needs to be a separation of the threat, and a cooling off period, and we’re not seeing that in many cases.

The police have become the Gestapo, and The People have had enough of it, and rightfully so.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

A few years ago, the parents of a disabled young man, who was in a crisis, and carrying a screwdriver inside his own home; was murdered by the police. This, after his parents called 911.

I think that’s the first vigil I’ve ever attended, and nothing happened to that police officer. The last I checked, he kept his job, or later moved to a nearby police department.

The state murdered that young, white man. It was nothing short of murder, for hire. The parents were furious.

There are more responsible ways of dealing with many of these types of situations.

There needs to be a separation of the threat, and a cooling off period, and we’re not seeing that in many cases.

The police have become the Gestapo, and The People have had enough of it, and rightfully so.

A few cities have gotten counsellors who are called in instead of Police during mental health crisis situations. I realize Police may have to handle a mentally disturbed man with a gun, things like that, but yes, there have been too many instances of Police showing up and killing mentally ill persons. Problem solved. :cry:

1 minute ago, South Alabam said:

A few cities have gotten counsellors who are called in instead of Police during mental health crisis situations. I realize Police may have to handle a mentally disturbed man with a gun, things like that, but yes, there have been too many instances of Police showing up and killing mentally ill persons. Problem solved. :cry:

It’s one thing if they’ve got a gun, it’s another thing if they’ve got a screwdriver  and in this case it was obvious what he had.

The parent later said the police just got tired of dealing with him, so they shot and killed their son.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

there is a way blm could have made police think twice about shooting anyone,  not protest and burn people's property,  if they really were about police not shooting people, they could use same tactic that los pepes used against cartels, you target individual cops, those cops that are responsible  for shootings, then you target individual judges that let cops off the hook.  but despite that support police in general,    so cops know if they are not abusing power, they have nothing to be afraid of, but if they do, no court would help them and no judge would let them off the hook  cuz they would be targeted too.   the problem of legal system can not be solved by legal system, there needs to be outside independent force, that dirty cops would be scared of.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/they-took-my-baby-man-killed-texas-police-after-intervening-n1242132

'They took my baby': Man killed by Texas police after intervening in dispute, family says

'They took my baby': Man killed by Texas police after intervening indispute, family says

"When police arrived, I'm told, he raised his hands and attempted to explain what was going on," Merritt said in the post. "Police fired tasers at him and when his body convulsed from the electrical current, they 'perceived a threat' and shot him to death."

i have strong feeling  cop did not preceive him as a threat,  it is just the excuse, nor i believe race had any role in it, i think  the cop saw him convulse, and realised he may be seriously hurt, or die, and there would be a lawsuit against him and the dept, he may go to prison for killing a complaint man ,so he shot him dead, "in defence" to prevent that. so it seems like he acted by the book,and rightfully shot him, but it looks like premeditated murder to me.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3