Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Photo of 'ghost' at abandoned Scottish hut

Eldorado

A photographer has posted an unbelievable pic of what appears to be a ghostly face looking out of an abandoned stone hut near an old Scottish cemetery in Largs.

Reddit user Motorbiker1985 said he took the photo while living here with his now wife a few years ago.

The Reddit user explained that he took the pic in Autumn 2016 on a day out at Douglas Park with his wife using an old Rolleiflex camera.

Full story at the Daily Record Scotland: Link

• Like 4

Probably a trick of the light with shadows and stains on the wall creating the illusion there is a face.

Here is a comparison of two photos.  One of them was taken further away which makes it look more grainy and you can see the outline shape like a circle where the face appears in the closer photo.  The closer photo was either 'touched up' or just a trick of the light.

anglewindow.png

Edited by TigerBright19

Seems pretty impressive as it was taken by a serious photographer. I was thinking 'real person' inside but the window looks boarded in a later photo. 

Papameter 2.0 Reading

80% Paranormal     15% Hoax    5% Natural Explanation

Confidence Level  Low

P.S. I think I like this guy. From the article:

Adding that he is a rationalist, he said: "I do not hold beliefs, religious or otherwise.

"I see everything on the basis of probability.

Edited by papageorge1

42 minutes ago, TigerBright19 said:

Probably a trick of the light with shadows and stains on the wall creating the illusion there is a face.

Here is a comparison of two photos.  One of them was taken further away which makes it look more grainy and you can see the outline shape like a circle where the face appears in the closer photo.  The closer photo was either 'touched up' or just a trick of the light.

anglewindow.png

They are not even close to being the same photo.

(Apples and oranges)

Edited by acute
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

53 minutes ago, acute said:

(Apples and oranges)

That's why I said "Here is a comparison of two photos.  One of them was taken further away."

0_IMG_2463JPG.jpg

Edited by TigerBright19

3 minutes ago, TigerBright19 said:

Zooming in on the other photo we can see the same circular outline in the right window, which suggests it is not a face, and is just a mark on the wall.

It's nowhere near the same thing.

Right/left,  up/down.  Look at it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

It looks very much like a photo my photographer buddy made to hoax a ghost hunter we knew,

In this case kinda reminds me of chikatilo

• Like 1

13 hours ago, acute said:

(Apples and oranges)

Quite right.  One is the left hand window and the other is the right hand one.  But for myself I can’t see any circle on the wall behind the left hand window to match the ‘face’, however much I try.  Open minded about this, but suspect a rational explanation is in there somewhere.  Waiting to see what the resident photography/image expert on here as to say.

• Like 5

Maybe it is not abandoned after all

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, glorybebe said:

If it is from an old camera, I would say a double exposure is the result of this photo

Yep, look a lot like it, first one with long exposure, adding the guy with a short exposure.

• Like 2

In my film photography course,  we learned how to manipulate the film and photos.  Most people are not aware of how to double expose, so when something like this happens, they are confused and look for another explanation 

• Like 3

You can totally do in-camera multiple exposures (ie: on a single negative) intentionally or even unintentionally with that type of camera. Most manual, especially older, film cameras have shutters that can be cocked without advancing the film to the next frame. Just saying.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2020 at 7:13 PM, TigerBright19 said:

That's why I said "Here is a comparison of two photos.  One of them was taken further away."

0_IMG_2463JPG.jpg

But it looks like the one put up for comparison is the OTHER window. I've seen a lot of photos that can be explained by paredoia, but not this one.....so far. It's clearly a human face. The question is figuring out the reality of the photo...is it a double exposure? Was there a person in the cottage looking out...the photo seems to show the window as open. If a live human was standing in complete darkness, back from the window, looking out, I think it could appear the way this picture looks.  

• Like 2