Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does God Exist? One or more?

News

All my life I had many questions about religion and religions...

Several gods exist depending on religion, as well as several beliefs.

Once a believer... My questions were never answered by anyone, the common answer was to have "faith"

I believe in nature and what I see, I believe in good, but seen some believers who are truly evil! 

Your answers will help me and perhaps many others have a better understanding in religions & god

I appreciate your comments and respect all points of view!

ART DIRECT 3.jpg

• Like 3

Einstein believed in a Pantheistic God as described by Spinoza. Pantheism is a belief that nature/the universe is God. 

• Like 5

God exist to the faithful, and faith is belief without knowing. As for many Gods, even the Judaic and Christian Bible says:

Exodus 20:3   Thou shalt have no other gods before me. 

Deuteronomy 10:17   For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward: 

1Corinthians 8:5   For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) 

1Corinthians 8:6   But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him. 

Which takes us back to Exodus 20:3: Thou shalt have no other gods before me. 

So there are other Gods, even according to the Bible, but none shall be before him. 

• Like 4

No.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome to the forum @News  There is no right answer to your questions.  You have to find the answers that fit your perception of who you are and why you are here.  Religion is used to control large groups of people and rarely touches anything near a deity, as the rules and "what god wants" are made up.  The proof of that is that everyone has a different list of "what god wants".  It helps to learn about multiple religions, mythology and philosophies, then create your own beliefs that fit how you think, what you need to believe and how you see yourself interacting with the world around you.  No one can tell you any real truth about where god is, who god is or even if there is a god, or many gods.  

And there is no reason to expect that your beliefs will never change, they will as you learn more you will change your beliefs.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, News said:

Once a believer... My questions were never answered by anyone, the common answer was to have "faith"

:st Hi News!

I grew up secular with me coming into my own unique belief. I could never understand why those ‘tell’ you to have faith. I don’t think you can force faith. I believe it has to be earned.  

2 hours ago, News said:

I believe in nature and what I see, I believe in good, but seen some believers who are truly evil! 

Your answers will help me and perhaps many others have a better understanding in religions & god

ART DIRECT 3.jpg

I think you believe like me in a way. To me, religion and spirituality will always be subjective. No one should be judgements and pushy towards others. I think, it should first teach the individual first. 
Desert is right. There is no real answer, because of the subjectivity of it. 

• Like 5

Called by whatever name (God/Brahman/Source)  I believe a non-physical Consciousness is the creator of all this material universe.

But even more straightforward than that abstraction is the belief that we are more than a physical body/machine. The world of the paranormal gives direct evidence of that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, South Alabam said:

God exist to the faithful, and faith is belief without knowing. As for many Gods, even the Judaic and Christian Bible says:

Deuteronomy 10:17   For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward: 

1Corinthians 8:5   For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) 

1Corinthians 8:6   But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him. 

So there are other Gods, even according to the Bible, but none shall be before him. 

I really do love how this implies other gods existing and this one god has to exert dominance by proclaiming it is The God. Didn't the Devil want to be god? I mean if I was the devil I'd tell people that I was The God, and that they should have no other gods except me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/6/2020 at 8:48 AM, News said:

ART DIRECT 3.jpg

What we call God, could be the parameters of the machine.  Since God doesn’t present himself for interviews, no one knows anything about God.  We know what we think we know about God.

• Like 2

• Like 3

On 10/6/2020 at 12:04 PM, OverSword said:

Einstein believed in a Pantheistic God as described by Spinoza. Pantheism is a belief that nature/the universe is God. 

Sounds like atheism with extra steps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

Sounds like atheism with extra steps.

Possibly.  

Humans tend to 4 different attitudes to (a)  god's existence

A few know it/one, through personal experience. 

Lacking such personal experience; 

Some choose disbelief (atheism)

Some choose belief via faith ( theism ) 

Some choose to suspend belief and disbelief until they can know (or until their personal needs change, and they make a choice to believe/disbelieve.)  (agnostics)

In the first, a human who encounters a god has no choice but to  accept their/its existence, and consider their/its nature.

The second two are logical belief constructs, which individuals choose to meet other needs, and  their wider world view.

The last is a rational position which says, "I cant /wont  construct any belief about the existence/non-existence  of gods, but I am open to evidences ."

All but the first allow individual choice.

My advice would be to choose whichever best suits your needs,   ie  best enriches, empowers, and makes you happiest. 

Edited by Mr Walker

Does God Exist?

Should god exist?

One or more?

Should one or more gods exist?

My counter questions are important. In other words, is there something about life or the universe that necessitates a god?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Should god exist?

Should one or more gods exist?

My counter questions are important. In other words, is there something about life or the universe that necessitates a god?

Is there anything about the universe which  NECESSITATES human  existence ?

No :) 

Yet we exist. 

So, why not other beings, which to us seem like, and are known as, gods? 

The universe, humans, and gods, (if they exist)  are all the product of natural processes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does God Exist? One or more?

Depends on who you ask, and how you ask.

Strictly speaking there is no physical evidence of God, or any other god, spirit, ghost, or supernatural event. At least AFAIK.

But, at the same time you will find Billions of people (2.4 billion Christians and 1.8 billion Muslims) that do believe in God, regardless of lack of evidence.

Why? Why would they believe? Because many, if not most, have had an experience they can not explain any other way.

Is that scientific evidence? Nope. But it is enough for the person who experienced it.

I tend to conform to the theory that the multiple "gods" in the Bible are really just the top level angels and demons. Who appear to have been more openly active thousands of years ago, before Jesus showed up.

43 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Why? Why would they believe? Because many, if not most, have had an experience they can not explain any other way.

So, rather than think "I'd better improve my explanation skills," instead they think, "Well, if I can't explain it, then God must have done it."

That's not a great argument. And since "God did it" isn't an explanation, but rather the face-saving way to admit the lack of an explanation, you can put the period-full stop like so:

Because many, if not most, have had an experience they can not explain. any other way.

Now you still have a problem. I'd wager that almost every adult has had some experience they can't explain. I sure have. And yet only only half believe in one of the Abrahamic gods. So, having a typical human experience doesn't distinguish believers from non-beleivers, and so there is no "because" either:

Many, if not most, have had an experience they can not explain.

Well, isn't that the truth?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, eight bits said:

So, rather than think "I'd better improve my explanation skills," instead they think, "Well, if I can't explain it, then God must have done it."

That's not a great argument. And since "God did it" isn't an explanation, but rather the face-saving way to admit the lack of an explanation, you can put the period-full stop like so:

Because many, if not most, have had an experience they can not explain. any other way.

First of all... Have you met the average person? In the USA, South America, Africa, or the Middle East? They aren't super big on deep thinking... They'd rather be TOLD what to think.

Its not a great argument, but for a worldwide majority, they accept it.

You could even say, they Dont Want to explain it any other way.

That's humanity for you.

Now you still have a problem. I'd wager that almost every adult has had some experience they can't explain. I sure have. And yet only only half believe in one of the Abrahamic gods. So, having a typical human experience doesn't distinguish believers from non-beleivers, and so there is no "because" either:

Many, if not most, have had an experience they can not explain.

Well, isn't that the truth?

Well, more like a quarter are atheist/nonreligious. Another billion and a half are Hindus.

So if 75% believe in something does that make it true? Of course not... But it does imply there may be more to it then the other 25% realizes.

So, if you've had something (to you) unexplainable, why is it unbelievable that people would believe in something supernatural that WOULD explain it? Is not the axiom, "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." (Sherlock Holmes) It comes from Fiction, but is none the less is true. And so if a common person eliminates every other reason they can think of... Then religion will seem to be true.

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

First of all... Have you met the average person? In the USA, South America, Africa, or the Middle East? They aren't super big on deep thinking... They'd rather be TOLD what to think.

Maybe so, but even if true, it's a different explanation than your previous one that I commented on.

But it does imply there may be more to it then the other 25% realizes.

I don't see any "imply" in your story. Yes, maybe 25% of us have a shallow understanding of reality (compared with whom?). But that may be true anyway, being in the minority doesn't imply shallow understanding (or its opposite; it's irrelevant).

So, if you've had something (to you) unexplainable, why is it unbelievable that people would believe in something supernatural that WOULD explain it?

It's not at all unblievable that people would choose to phrase "I haven't the faintest idea what I'm talking about" in a gentler, more socially approved phrasing.

s not the axiom, "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." (Sherlock Holmes) It comes from Fiction, but is none the less is true. And so if a common person eliminates every other reason they can think of... Then religion will seem to be true.

That was Sherlock's saying, followed up by his actively investigating the matter and eliminating the impossible. Eliminating all the reasons a haphazardly selected person happens to pull out of their butt without exerting themselves is not the same as Sharlock's "eliminating the impossible." And it's not every "other" reason ... godidit is not a reason.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 12:07 PM, South Alabam said:

They have God on their side - Imgur

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, eight bits said:

Maybe so, but even if true, it's a different explanation than your previous one that I commented on.

I didn't mean those to be referencing the same situation. People believe in God because they experienced something, or know someone who has.

People are stupid, overall as a species, because we are human. We don't really think as much as we should. Instead reacting off impulse and emotion.

One is an attempt to explain belief and the other is an attempt to explain human nature. Two different things. 

I don't see any "imply" in your story. Yes, maybe 25% of us have a shallow understanding of reality (compared with whom?). But that may be true anyway, being in the minority doesn't imply shallow understanding (or its opposite; it's irrelevant).

I'd argue that the "imply" is implied. If the atheist/non-religious default is disbelief in the supernatural. Then, assuming the paradigm that the majority is correct would directly imply that the minority should consider if there is more then is being seen. 

The majority is NOT always correct though. 

It's not at all unblievable that people would choose to phrase "I haven't the faintest idea what I'm talking about" in a gentler, more socially approved phrasing. 

I'd agree, its not at all unbelievable. Is it also believable that they'd come to the conclusion Godidit? It is...

That was Sherlock's saying, followed up by his actively investigating the matter and eliminating the impossible. Eliminating all the reasons a haphazardly selected person happens to pull out of their butt without exerting themselves is not the same as Sharlock's "eliminating the impossible." And it's not every "other" reason ...

Regardless of how smart someone is, we all eliminate what variables we can, and form our opinions based on that. It doesn't even have to be logically removing variables. It could be emotion, or socially, driven.

godidit is not a reason.

Sure it is. Who said a reason to do something has to be logical? Humans act off emotion, and impulses, probably 50% of the time.