Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Life in other planets

I believe in life in other planets, some more advanced, some more wild.

Although humans claim to be super smart, is interesting they do not know the planet yet fully!

Observing nature in our planet, and humans, perhaps humans were brought from another place...  As somehow they do not respect life or their own home (planet)

I also believe people from other planets live here and rule most of us. As thought... Perhaps even physcially different.

Would love to know what you think!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, News said:

I also believe people from other planets live here and rule most of us. As thought... Perhaps even physcially different.

Of course! :rolleyes:

30938.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Haha 5

When I look at the series of extremely unlikely events that had to have happened for life to appear on Earth, I find it extremely unlikely that there is any kind of life anywhere near Earth, and it wouldn't surprise me if Earth is the only planet with life in our galaxy. The physical laws in our universe are definitely not designed to promote life.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, News said:

Although humans claim to be super smart, is interesting they do not know the planet yet fully!

Observing nature in our planet, and humans, perhaps humans were brought from another place...  As somehow they do not respect life or their own home (planet)

Better living on a planet than in one ! But probably theres a lot of bacteria like life in other planet, protected from an harsh surface.

On 10/6/2020 at 10:54 AM, News said:

I believe there are, but space is so large we likely will never know. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 5:54 PM, News said:

Im more scientifically minded than most of my friends, so therefore Im always in the need for credible evidence before buying extraordinary claims.

And as there is absolutely zero evidence when it comes to any of your speculations about human origin or ET visitation... Im thinking No.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 4:54 PM, News said:

I think that credible evidence falls on death ears, (some accept evidence and some do not).

I would like to believe so but the evidence seems lacking. I'm not saying its possible but I remain Agnostic on the subject.

On 10/9/2020 at 10:41 PM, tmcom said:

I think that credible evidence falls on death ears, (some accept evidence and some do not).

have yet to see credible evidence 

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2020 at 11:54 PM, News said:

Is there life out there.. yes.. the odds of there not being life is extreme.. if someone thinks there is not life beyond our solar system is in all honesty.. fully deluded.. 

has life from out there visited earth.. no.. if they have.. you need to ask why.. why would they come to earth? we are in the back wash of the milky way.. some will say.. resources.. which is if you think about it.. really really dumb.. there is more resources floating around in the asteroid belts then there is on earth.. minerals.. water.. etc.. its all out there and easier to access rather than tinkering with monkeys to produce a slave race to mine for them. 

Is there life out there more technological superior to us.. I like to think there is.. but it could be we are the most advanced life in the galaxy.. one day I hope we find out.. 

10 hours ago, DingoLingo said:

Is there life out there.. yes.. the odds of there not being life is extreme.. if someone thinks there is not life beyond our solar system is in all honesty.. fully deluded..

How did you calculate these odds? Please show me the math.

3 hours ago, astrobeing said:

How did you calculate these odds? Please show me the math.

ok

N=R_* \cdot f_P \cdot n_e \cdot f_l \cdot f_i \cdot f_c \cdot L

1 minute ago, astrobeing said:

Now put in the numbers and support their validity by citing sources.

LOL.. sorry mate.. couldnt help it.. 

Thats the drake equation.. 

https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/news/1350/are-we-alone-in-the-universe-revisiting-the-drake-equation/

you could also look up the fermi paradox if you want as well.. 

2 minutes ago, DingoLingo said:

LOL.. sorry mate.. couldnt help it.. 

Thats the drake equation..

I saw Carl Sagan selling the Drake equation on television back in the 1970's.

The slight problem with it is that we don't know any of the values. People have worked around this by deciding what value they want the equation to produce and then putting in the appropriate values.

9 hours ago, astrobeing said:

I saw Carl Sagan selling the Drake equation on television back in the 1970's.

The slight problem with it is that we don't know any of the values. People have worked around this by deciding what value they want the equation to produce and then putting in the appropriate values.

So you dont believe there is life out there in the universe? just curious

and yes.. the numbers are subjective using the drake equation.. but.. you could put down the remotes chance of life.. lets say 0.00000001 of a percent.. and with that equation you would still find there would be planets that support life.. 

9 hours ago, DingoLingo said:

So you dont believe there is life out there in the universe? just curious

The more I learned about the genesis of life on Earth and the more I learned about statistics, the more I realized that life is an astonishingly unlikely event. I would bet that it's more likely that life would never appear in the universe and Earth beat the odds.

9 hours ago, DingoLingo said:

and yes.. the numbers are subjective using the drake equation.. but.. you could put down the remotes chance of life.. lets say 0.00000001 of a percent.. and with that equation you would still find there would be planets that support life.. 

The flaws with the Drake equation (besides all the values are guesses) is that it's oversimplified, it's a static calculation, and it assumes life is likely in any case.

The genesis of life is a series of extremely unlikely events, and when you factor a series of extremely unlikely events then the laws of statistics hit you in the face hard. Let's take a very simple example. Let's pretend that all you need for life to appear on a planet is just two events that have a probability of, say, a million to one. By the basic law of statistics, the odds of those two events happening are a trillion to one. Suddenly the mere 400 billion stars in the entire Milky Way don't seem like a lot anymore, and that's just with two events.

The probabilities get exponentially worse when you consider that Earth required a series of hundreds if not thousands of unlikely events and conditions to take place in a proper sequence for life to appear, evolve, and not be destroyed on it. When you factor these things together you end up with probabilities that are dozens of digits long, perhaps many times more planets than there are in the entire universe. It's likely that trillions of planets in our universe have never had a trace of life or that life existed for a brief period before it died off.

The physical laws in our universe are extremely cruel to life. Everything is too hot, too cold, too dry, under too much or too little pressure, is being blasted with radiation, or is missing a critical element. When planets develop, their conditions change rapidly so conditions that might be favorable for life are likely to change and destroy that life. Even on our pleasant planet all the life that has evolved here has been traced to a single source. If life were so common, we should have seen multiple independent sources of life appear on our planet. We haven't so that strongly suggests that even in favorable conditions life is unlikely to happen. Even in the best imaginable conditions (Earth), it only happened once in four billion years!

4 hours ago, astrobeing said:

Even in the best imaginable conditions (Earth), it only happened once in four billion years!

Hmm.. It could be we are the only life in this galaxy.. but when you count how many galaxies there are in just the observable universe.. again the odds of us being the only planet with life is mind boggling.. 

as for life here on earth.. its kind of hard to say if its only happened once.. as you say.. 4 billion years.. and in that 4 billion how many times has the earth been wiped out for all we know we are the 2nd or even the 5th life to evolve.. (me.. I think we are the first time round) but we cannot say with 100% certainty that this is the case.. 

1 hour ago, Trelane said:

That's all well and good. However, there are scientists whose specialty centers on this that would strongly disagree with you.

Yes, there are scientists who really really really want to believe that life abounds in the universe to the point that they ignore our understanding of abiogenesis and how statistics work. I prefer to listen to those who accept science.

2 minutes ago, astrobeing said:

Yes, there are scientists who really really really want to believe that life abounds in the universe to the point that they ignore our understanding of abiogenesis and how statistics work. I prefer to listen to those who accept science.

Life exist on this planet. Why not somewhere else? Is it really that impossible to say 'maybe'?

1 hour ago, DingoLingo said:

Hmm.. It could be we are the only life in this galaxy.. but when you count how many galaxies there are in just the observable universe.. again the odds of us being the only planet with life is mind boggling..

For all we know, the probabilities could be hundreds of digits long. Or thousands of digits long. The digits could be more than the number of atoms in the entire universe. We know that it is an astonishing long number representing an astonishingly improbably event.

And if there's life in another galaxy, who cares? It's not like we'll be chatting with them.

1 hour ago, DingoLingo said:

as for life here on earth.. its kind of hard to say if its only happened once.. as you say.. 4 billion years.. and in that 4 billion how many times has the earth been wiped out for all we know we are the 2nd or even the 5th life to evolve.. (me.. I think we are the first time round) but we cannot say with 100% certainty that this is the case.. 

Then that would show another sad thing about life: it is easily destroyed. If true, this would not be an encouraging discovery.

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Life exist on this planet. Why not somewhere else? Is it really that impossible to say 'maybe'?

Please read my long explanation on statistics and what we know about abiogenesis and how astronomically improbable it is. In short: the physical laws of the universe don't promote the creation of life.