Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sufi Mysticism

Duke Wellington

1 hour ago, Guyver said:

I get it.....but the OP of this thread began by saying that he/she was Christian.  Yet, Christian is one word which describes a seemingly infinite variance of beliefs.  So, while there are some intense hell-fire turn or burn types, you have the opposite type of thing with the average Catholic practitioner - not priest....and some of them believe everyone eventually gets to heaven, there is no literal hell fire, and they would not impose their beliefs on you.

What the OP is trying to do is shove another systems form of mysticism into his own paradigm. When he should be looking in the direction of Christian Mysticism. 

• Like 2

There is also the great work as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Work_(Hermeticism)

The Great Work is, before all things, the creation of man by himself, that is to say, the full and entire conquest of his faculties and his future; it is especially the perfect emancipation of his will

In a lot of ways the OP is more a Thelemite than a Christian due to how he views life and god's "Will". 

We now know this as Self Actualization.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 2:37 PM, Cookie Monster said:

God created the universe with us in it. We are here to learn to regulate our minds. Yet we loose track of the fact that God is sending us the experiences we have and instead get caught up in them.

You are a product of  your birth box.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Nothing will ever make any sense because your beliefs are not your own.  They were placed in your birth box when you came out of the womb...by your parents.  Or...whoever raised you.  All religious, political and societal beliefs that  you embrace are part of  your birth box.  There are no answers there...only confusion.  Have fun with that.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2020 at 6:37 AM, XenoFish said:

I don't know what loose weight is, but I know what lose weight means. Look, just pick a reality tunnel and stick with it. We do not literally shape reality. It shape how we choose to perceive things. If you're a fat and need to lose some weight, your self-image will dictate how you feel about that comment. 

https://medium.com/reality-tunnels/introduction-to-reality-tunnels-a-tool-for-understanding-the-postmodern-world-72cdd98af9d0

loose weight is weight which comes off easily. Tight weight is harder to get rid of :) 

i disagree a little with your explanation(how surprising) I see it as our perception shaping reality over time. eg if we think we need to lose weight we  can, and probably will.

The perception shapes the reality  

We can choose any perception we like and then choose to act on it or not.

If we choose to perceive that we are no too badly overweight, then  we are likely to stay that way . If we choose to perceive ourselves as too fat, then sometimes  we can develop disorders like anorexia and bulimia where, although we are very thin we still see ourselves  as fat, and keep trying to lose weight 

On 10/11/2020 at 12:17 PM, joc said:

You are a product of  your birth box.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Nothing will ever make any sense because your beliefs are not your own.  They were placed in your birth box when you came out of the womb...by your parents.  Or...whoever raised you.  All religious, political and societal beliefs that  you embrace are part of  your birth box.  There are no answers there...only confusion.  Have fun with that.

I seriously hope you are not being serious here.

That's not how human minds work at all.

Whatever beliefs you are raised with as a child you can challenge, accept, reject, or modify them, beginning at a very ealry age.

In human cognition we cannot truly have ANY beliefs which are not our own, because belief is a self construct.  Although they may originate with others, we make them our own (or we reject/modify them to meet our own needs)