Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australia: English test for partner visas

Still Waters

Australia will require foreign partners of existing residents to pass an English language test before gaining a permanent visa, its government says.

The controversial immigration requirement, if approved by parliament, would apply from mid-2021.

It would also force the partners of applicants to prove a level of English proficiency.

Critics have called the change "discriminatory", but the government says it will build "social cohesion".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-54458637

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-08/500-hours-of-english-classes-required-under-partner-visa-changes/12741714

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Seriously?  So are you required to speak English to be an Australian citizen?  If not then this makes little sense.

• Like 2

I hope that you are required to speak English if you want to live in an Anglophone Country. No possibility of integrating if you dont

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This says it all...

"In some cases, the husband will not want his partner or wife to learn English. And in part that's for control reasons," he said.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, keithisco said:

This says it all...

"In some cases, the husband will not want his partner or wife to learn English. And in part that's for control reasons," he said.

Which cases do you think he means?  Muslims?

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, OverSword said:
3 hours ago, keithisco said:

I have first-hand experience of this, and it's very common.

It's mainly a Muslim thing, to keep the wife dependent on her husband and unable to mix with English speakers.

• Like 5

Given the hazards of human trafficking and other hidden away crimes against foreign "spouses" I am all for requiring this. Vermin is rife out there and not everyone is as nice as you.  

Secondly is the issue of communicating with the new culture you are applying to join.

• Like 3

If you can't read or write English in Australia you're going to be in a bad way.

• Like 4

Well, It is a piece of cake for Daenoin! who studied English desperately to get job.( In Korea, you can't find job unless you speak English)

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 7:37 PM, OverSword said:

No. Not all followers of Islam are so controlling... it is an Islamic sect that adheres to every word of the Koran as being the only "true" word of Allah. Understand that it is only Male members of these sects that espouse these opinions.

Image result for give us your tired your poor{Some English required.} Just imagine if that was tacked on at the end.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Image result for give us your tired your poor{Some English required.} Just imagine if that was tacked on at the end.

To be honest, that entire quote is meaningless now. A major part of Trump's electoral success was his promise to prevent Mexico sending you any more of their 'wretched refuse'. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arbenol said:

To be honest, that entire quote is meaningless now. A major part of Trump's electoral success was his promise to prevent Mexico sending you any more of their 'wretched refuse'. 

Arbenol, that is exceptionally ignorant, even for you. Legal immigration is alive and well.

https://usafacts.org/issues/immigration/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think this is an excellent idea, and I wish we would adopt it in the UK. 

14 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

I think this is an excellent idea, and I wish we would adopt it in the UK. 

Most Brits would fail the test.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Arbenol said:

Most Brits would fail the test.

Fine. Deport them to Canada. They'll take ANYONE :P

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Arbenol said:

Hammerclaw. That is exceptionally thin-skinned. Even for you.

Not at all. I always respond to displays of incredible ignorance in a caustic, cutting way. Commonwealth countries are always chiding us for not taking in more immigrants, even 'though we top the world in that regard. At the same time, they cite being little islands or take advantage of being an island continent or being geographically isolated from the rest of the world, land-wise to not be as welcoming. it gives them the excuse and opportunity to severely limit and control immigration and preserve either/or their ethnic and cultural identity. If you look at the raw numbers, Trump isn't controlling egress much more effectively on our Southern border than Obama--he just gets taken to task for it more. Well over 600 thousand still entering illegally a month isn't peanuts. That's one and a half New Zealand's a year.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Not at all. I always respond to displays of incredible ignorance in a caustic, cutting way. Commonwealth countries are always chiding us for not taking in more immigrants, even 'though we top the world in that regard. At the same time, they cite being little islands or take advantage of being an island continent or being geographically isolated from the rest of the world, land-wise to not be as welcoming. it gives them the excuse and opportunity to severely limit and control immigration and preserve either/or their ethnic and cultural identity. If you look at the raw numbers, Trump isn't controlling egress much more effectively on our Southern border than Obama--he just gets taken to task for it more. Well over 600 thousand still entering illegally a month isn't peanuts. That's one and a half New Zealand's a year.

I don't think you'll find any post of mine criticising US immigration policy. You might find one broadly supporting it though.

You went all Mr. Walker on that one. 

lol

43 minutes ago, Arbenol said:

I don't think you'll find any post of mine criticising US immigration policy. You might find one broadly supporting it though.

You went all Mr. Walker on that one. 

lol

No, because everything I gave you is factual and verifiable, hardly a case of beating my own drum. You seem to forget your post criticizing our policy under the Trump administration. If you want to jump on the "Bash Trump" bandwagon you hardly need to exaggerate his foibles. He's very accommodating in that regard.

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

No, because everything I gave you is factual and verifiable, hardly a case of beating my own drum. You seem to forget your post criticizing our policy under the Trump administration. If you want to jump on the "Bash Trump" bandwagon you hardly need to exaggerate his foibles. He's very accommodating in that regard.

No. You've been conditioned into believing that. Look at my original post again. There was no value judgement there. You just saw what you wanted / expected to see.

Anyway, let's not derail this thread so early. My apologies to the OP.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Arbenol To be honest, that entire quote is meaningless now. A major part of Trump's electoral success was his promise to prevent Mexico sending you any more of their 'wretched refuse'. 

You'll have to share the ANZAC  definition of "value judgment" with me sometime.