Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
UM-Bot

Virginia invaded by hairy caterpillars

Jon the frog
Posted (edited)

A big pile of them resolves bigfoot sightings !

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chronus

Are you talking about this?

Alpacapillar

• Haha 5

tortugabob

In Florida we called them wolves.  I got stung once.  It really hurts.  Much worse than a wasp sting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

seanjo

****ing Trump...

• Haha 4

jethrofloyd
2 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

A big pile of them resolves bigfoot sightings !

Yeah, and a large family of otters resolves Loch Ness monster sightings!

• Like 1

and then

Well, that explains a lot about the idiocy going on in that state.  I'll admit, I thought the responsibility was all on the Democrats :) 

• Haha 1

Big Jim

Can we just tear this year off the calendar and start over?

Myles

I think I would step on any I see.  

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/misc/moths/puss.htm

The southern flannel moth was originally described by J. E. Smith (1797) and named Phalaena opercularis (common name, waved yellow egger moth). For a historical account of the southern flannel moth’s taxonomy see Heppner (2003). In addition to the name “puss caterpillar”, its caterpillar has been called “Italian asp,” “possum bug,” “perrito” (Spanish for puppy or little dog) (Bishopp 1923), and “woolly slug” (El-Mallakh et al. 1986).

The southern flannel moth is the most common of the five species of megalopygids found in the southeastern United States.

Distribution (Back to Top)

The southern flannel moth is found from New Jersey to Florida and west to Arkansas and Texas (Covell 2005). It is common in Florida but reaches its greatest abundance in Texas from Dallas southward in the western central part of the state (Bishopp 1923).

Description (Back to Top)

Adults: Adults are small moths with wingspans of 2.4 to 3.6 cm (approximately 1 to 1.5 in) (Covell 2005). Females are larger than males. The front wings are yellow with some black along the costal margins and waves of white hair-like setae (scales) on the basal 2/3 of the wings. Khalaf (1984) demonstrated that the hair-like setae are actually deeply divided scales and that the undivided bases of the scales are typical of wing scales of other moths. The black color is more pronounced in males. Hind wings of both sexes are uniformly creamy-yellow. The common name “flannel moth” is due to the thick coating of fur-like setae on the bodies which is predominantly orange on the thorax.

• Thanks 1

TripGun

Thanks Obama