Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

$310K reward in 1995 train derailment mystery

Eldorado

Michael Lum was a student at Arizona State University when he learned that a train had mysteriously derailed in rural Arizona on October 9, 1995.

“I woke up and saw it on the news, and I went to class and we talked about it,” Lum recalled.

Twenty-five years later, Lum, a special agent in the Federal Protective Service, is on an FBI task force working to find anyone responsible for the derailment that killed the train conductor and injured dozens more.

No one has been arrested, but the FBI continues to investigate.

Full article at the US FBI: Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I'd heard about the before, it seems remarkably similar to another that happened in 1939 .. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939_City_of_San_Francisco_derailment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 1:19 PM, Eldorado said:

Michael Lum was a student at Arizona State University when he learned that a train had mysteriously derailed in rural Arizona on October 9, 1995.

“I woke up and saw it on the news, and I went to class and we talked about it,” Lum recalled.

Twenty-five years later, Lum, a special agent in the Federal Protective Service, is on an FBI task force working to find anyone responsible for the derailment that killed the train conductor and injured dozens more.

No one has been arrested, but the FBI continues to investigate.

Full article at the US FBI: Link

I have an ex-friend who bragged about derailing some trains in AZ. It was more than likely psycho talk, but to even brag about something like that def. makes one suspicious.

• Sad 2

Have to look this up.It's been so long ago, forgot about it. We had a train  years ago derail east of me. It was a freight train, and don't recall if the trainmen were injured. But there was merchandise all over the place ,cases by the train. What surprises me in all the years i have lived in my town, we haven't had one derail right in town. Southern pacific  runs from San antonio to points east. Sometimes  you'll see a train highballing it towards San Antonio. If a train derailed, think it would take out almost all of downtown, which isn't very big here. There's go the bank, Bar House, The Purple Pig BBQ and a few other places.

On 11/4/2020 at 5:28 PM, HollyDolly said:

Have to look this up.It's been so long ago, forgot about it. We had a train  years ago derail east of me. It was a freight train, and don't recall if the trainmen were injured. But there was merchandise all over the place ,cases by the train. What surprises me in all the years i have lived in my town, we haven't had one derail right in town. Southern pacific  runs from San antonio to points east. Sometimes  you'll see a train highballing it towards San Antonio. If a train derailed, think it would take out almost all of downtown, which isn't very big here. There's go the bank, Bar House, The Purple Pig BBQ and a few other places.

We got that here, it changed the landscape a bit.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42548824

• Sad 1