Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Record-breaking python caught in Florida

Still Waters

Two Florida hunters set a new record when they caught a Burmese python that measured a whopping 18 feet, 8.8 inches (5.71 meters), authorities in the southern state said Friday, as they encourage more people to eliminate the invasive species.

The Burmese python was captured 40 miles (60 kilometers) west of Miami and weighed in at 103 pounds (47 kilograms), the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said.

"That's a new record!" the agency said in a statement accompanied by a picture of hunters Ryan Ausburn and Kevin Pavlidis, posing at either end of the monster serpent, stretched across a country road.

The previous record for the invasive species was 18 feet and 7.6 inches, captured in 2013.

https://phys.org/news/2020-10-hunters-bag-record-breaking-python-florida.html

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

khol

The hunters with there prize catch seem quite proud of themselves in eliminating the threat. Its easy to label a species invasive yet this reptile didnt invade anything

Invasive species are primarily spread by human activities

https://www.nwf.org/Educational-Resources/Wildlife-Guide/Threats-to-Wildlife/Invasive-Species#:~:text=Invasive species are primarily spread by human activities%2C often unintentionally.&text=In addition%2C higher average temperatures,to move into new areas.

Humans in my opinion have become the invasive species on this planet

• Like 2

Seti42

Those two bros are such 'Florida Man', LMAO. Something also tells me they're in it for the huntin' and killin' not the ecosystem savin'.

• Like 3

the13bats

As a person who actually lives in florida,

I dont want creatures killed i dont like it at all but i also do know that for every native fl creature we have 5 or more not indigenous and some are causing problems, sure i would rather a zoo take creatures but they dont want them, sure they are invasive, they breed unchecked.

Parts of fl especially down south are swamps really no mans land, some creatures come into housing projects to hunt pets.

Not far from me iguanas run wild, pretty cool they dont hurt much or do they? But they are also breeding out of control they have to eat and do cause damage and harm.

3 hours ago, Seti42 said:

Those two bros are such 'Florida Man', LMAO. Something also tells me they're in it for the huntin' and killin' not the ecosystem savin'.

I guess so, seems they were at that last fl trump rally.

Oh, good ol boys like to hunt and kill but those guys loved the $$$ most.

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 1

khol
2 hours ago, the13bats said:

As a person who actually lives in florida,

I dont want creatures killed i dont like it at all but i also do know that for every native fl creature we have 5 or more not indigenous and some are causing problems, sure i would rather a zoo take creatures but they dont want them, sure they are invasive, they breed unchecked.

Parts of fl especially down south are swamps really no mans land, some creatures come into housing projects to hunt pets.

Not far from me iguanas run wild, pretty cool they dont hurt much or do they? But they are also breeding out of control they have to eat and do cause damage and harm.

I guess so, seems they were at that last fl trump rally.

Oh, good ol boys like to hunt and kill but those guys loved the $$$ most.

Yeah unfortunately culls are sometimes necessarry in these situations before native species and enviorments take a hit. But it originates with human intervention like so many other examples. This python would have originated as a pet and he didnt invade Florida on his own devices there from Asia

What I was alluding to is this https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/reference/exotic-pet-trade/   

Edited by khol
  • Like 1

the13bats
6 minutes ago, khol said:

Yeah unfortunately culls are sometimes necessarry in these situations before native species and enviorments take a hit. But it originates with human intervention like so many other examples. This python would have originated as a pet and he didnt invade Florida on his own devices

What I was alluding to is this https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/reference/exotic-pet-trade/   

we do not know the origin of how each invasive specie got into fl blaming irresponsible humans for releasing all of these creatures that are invasive to florida isnt accurate and doesnt help,

many came here on their own like the cuban lizards they invaded fl as stowaways and pretty much wiped out the anoles

• Like 2

Manwon Lender
3 minutes ago, the13bats said:

we do not know the origin of how each invasive specie got into fl blaming irresponsible humans for releasing all of these creatures that are invasive to florida isnt accurate and doesnt help,

many came here on their own like the cuban lizards they invaded fl as stowaways and pretty much wiped out the anoles

Some were released from Zoos and people's homes during Hurricanes.

• Like 1

khol

Just out of curiosity @the13bats what would the bounty be in FL. for a 20' Burmese

Myles
On 10/10/2020 at 2:46 PM, Seti42 said:

Probably a few things.   The money, wanting to get rid of these snakes, hanging out with friends and the thrill of the hunt.    I'm glad they are doing this and they need to keep it up.  

The going rate: $8.65 an hour, with extra bounties depending on the length of the snake. It's an additional $50 for the first 4 feet and $25 for every foot thereafter. Hunters who catch pythons that were guarding eggs can collect an extra $200.

• Thanks 1