Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists tackle puzzle of 'photosneezia'

Eldorado

Scientists are attempting to unpick the mystery of the “photic sneeze” – a bizarre reflex that causes people to sternutate, or sneeze, in response to bright light – and they need your help.

Also known as “photosneezia”, the phenomenon is thought to affect about a quarter of the UK population, but the mechanism that triggers it is unknown.

“It is typically preceded by a tickling sensation, and the sneeze is not immediate. It will take a few seconds,” said Manuel Spitschan, an experimental psychologist at the University of Oxford who is launching a study into the phenomenon.

Full monty at the UK Guardian: Link

Photic sneeze reflex: Wikipedia

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't recall the source for this but I recall they said the sneeze from light may have been an evolutionary reaction.  The idea is that most early humans lived in caves or predominately dark, close environments. Because such environments would pre-dispose people to illness from the germs in that situation, the sneeze that occurred when they left the dark place would cause much of the flora in the nasal passages would be expelled.

Sometimes the sun can make me sneeze. 

• Like 2

I remember hearing something about blood vessels in your eyes expanding or restricting or something...and something about sinuses and the atmosphere in your nasal passages changing...

Stuff I remember hearing years ago. Speculation? Hearsay? I don't know.