Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cougar stalks runner for six minutes.

simplybill

This would creep me out

• Like 3

They can be bl**dy persistent, so I've heard <_<

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, simplybill said:

I learned something from this man’s encounter with a mountain lion in Utah: Don’t turn your back to an angry lion!

https://kslnewsradio.com/1934995/video-cougar-follows-man-running-near-provo-for-6-minutes/

Impressive :yes:

I'd just drop dead from fear right away and problem solved :D 

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

I'd just drop dead from fear right away and problem solved :D 

I know what you mean, Helen.
I get scared in the mountains even when I don’t see a mountain lion! Lol

• Like 1

Here is the full video for context. Most clips going around leave out the beginning where he approaches the cubs. He was being a dumbass and should've backed away the moment he saw them on the trail.

35 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

Here is the full video for context. Most clips going around leave out the beginning where he approaches the cubs. He was being a dumbass and should've backed away the moment he saw them on the trail.

According to the video you posted, he immediately backed away when he saw the cubs. It was a chance encounter. He was running on the trail when the cubs appeared in front of him. He states later in the video: “I’m not going back that way”. He did everything right. 

• Like 4

From what I've learned, cats kill you first, then they eat you. Bears catch you and eat you while you still alive and kicking. Is it true though?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

From what I've learned, cats kill you first, then they eat you. Bears catch you and eat you while you still alive and kicking. Is it true though?

I’ve heard that about bears too, but I honestly don’t know if it’s true.
@Carnoferox may know.

Here’s an interesting story I just now found while looking for an answer:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1306881/The-grizzly-tried-eat-alive-One-mans-petrifying-story-attack-Alaskan-bear.html

• Like 3

1 hour ago, simplybill said:

According to the video you posted, he immediately backed away when he saw the cubs. It was a chance encounter. He was running on the trail when the cubs appeared in front of him. He states later in the video: “I’m not going back that way”. He did everything right. 

The mom and her cubs were clearly visible for at least the first 10 seconds of the video (if not longer before he started recording) and yet he still kept approaching. Big mistake.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, simplybill said:

I’ve heard that about bears too, but I honestly don’t know if it’s true.
@Carnoferox may know.

Here’s an interesting story I just now found while looking for an answer:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1306881/The-grizzly-tried-eat-alive-One-mans-petrifying-story-attack-Alaskan-bear.html

One thing for sure, if I would find myself between cat and bear, I'll choose the cat, I mean, big cat.

Edited by bmk1245
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

The mom and her cubs were clearly visible for at least the first 10 seconds of the video (if not longer before he started recording) and yet he still kept approaching. Big mistake.

Not to mention that FU screaming don't work on wild animals, well, disputed.

Just now, bmk1245 said:

Not to mention that FU screaming don't work on wild animals, well, disputed.

That is the part he did right, you are supposed to make a lot of noise to deter them.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

That is the part he did right, you are supposed to make a lot of noise to deter them.

Screaming "FU", "I'll killyou", "I'll eatyea" is less effective than just simple growling out of your lungs out. Again, havent't tried that, but heard about it.

• Like 1

Whys this im politics?

Edit added: oh i see...:tu:

Edited by the13bats

I’d never considered that cougars react differently when their cubs are threatened, compared to when they’re hunting. I was expecting the runner to bend over and pick up some of those rocks to throw at her, but she appeared to be looking for just that sort of opening to attack. 

I used to live in Utah and I still go back there to hike. Always on the lookout for cougars, bears and moose. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, simplybill said:

I’d never considered that cougars react differently when their cubs are threatened, compared to when they’re hunting. I was expecting the runner to bend over and pick up some of those rocks to throw at her, but she appeared to be looking for just that sort of opening to attack. 

I used to live in Utah and I still go back there to hike. Always on the lookout for cougars, bears and moose. 

No, he should’ve tried throwing rocks a lot sooner, because that’s what freaks most animals out. It’s a technique I’ve seen used by the Rangers in Yellowstone, when dealing with animals, who are more or less a nuisance, as opposed to trying to eat you. I saw one ranger throwing rocks at a black bear with cubs, by the roadside and the mother took off really fast. Many animals seem conditioned to run from projectiles, when nothing else works. I wouldn’t try it with a grizzly with cubs, but pretty much anything else I would.

It’s amazing that he didn’t think to try throwing rocks a lot sooner. 

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

No, he should’ve tried throwing rocks a lot sooner, because that’s what freaks most animals out. It’s a technique I’ve seen used by the Rangers in Yellowstone,

Thanks, RW, that’s good to know about the Rangers. I kept waiting for the runner to pick up the rocks, but then I started second-guessing myself when he didn’t.  

• Thanks 1

A little more authority than “nice kitty” seems appropriate, also. I give the guy credit for posting that (OP) cougar video, which is a little funny in parts. Mom was just protecting her cubs.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

A little more authority than “nice kitty” seems appropriate, also. I give the guy credit for posting that (OP) cougar video, which is a little funny in parts. Mom was just protecting her cubs.

Haha - cool video! One of my biggest fears is running into a bears in the woods.

Edited by simplybill
Clarification
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Raptor Witness said:

Mama kept turning around and looking back. Cubs explain everything. She was backing him up enough of a distance to feel they were safe. The hiker knew she had cubs because he kept mentioning them.

She wasn't attacking. I don't think so. She would have run down that trail after him as fast as she ran up it and she wouldn't have put on a show with her paws. She would have used them. She was running him off.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, simplybill said:

Haha - cool video! One of my biggest fears is running into a bears in the woods.

You should be, and black bears are occasionally predatory, so if they start stalking you, you need to be prepared.

I had a black bear stalk me once at night. It was right before hibernation too, when they are trying to fatten themselves up good. It followed me to three separate campsites, the same night, so I may have been on the menu. The third campsite was several miles away from the second. It’s hard to tell, sometimes, since they can smell any kind of food on you, even after you’ve consumed it. It’s also very hard to separate ourselves from our food odors, completely, no matter how hard we try to hide the odor. Anyway, after the third encounter, I decided to leave the area. lol 

I wish I could tell more of my story here, but it’s a little too personal, so here’s Steve Isdahl with a great bear story I think you’ll like. He’s seen it all, as a professional guide up in British Columbia.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

I had a black bear stalk me once at night. It was right before hibernation too, when they are trying to fatten themselves up good.

That’d be a great story to share as a blog post here on UM. I’d certainly read it.

Re: the bear video: British Columbia is a beautiful place. Are you familiar with the Lawless Ranch on Crows Nest Highway? My great-grandparents were the original homesteaders there in the 1800s. I went there three years ago to see the ranch and the log buildings they built. My grandfather lived in the ‘Yellow House’ that’s still standing.

While I was there I hiked up Mount Baldy and looked north across that vast wilderness and I got kind of spooked thinking about how easy it would be to get lost out there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simplybill said:

That’d be a great story to share as a blog post here on UM. I’d certainly read it.

Re: the bear video: British Columbia is a beautiful place ...

UM isn’t really suitable for hunting stories.

I’ve been lost in the wilderness twice, where you couldn’t even get an A.M. radio signal, and all it took was a prayer to the Lord of the Earth to reveal the way. When Mother Earth has your back, even the Sasquatch will assist you. The birds of prey will bring you food. Those are the kinds of stories that UM might be interested in hearing, but this crowd can’t fathom the mechanism, much less the power behind it.

• Like 1