Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Human Rights Council rejects Saudis

Eldorado

Saudi Arabia failed in its bid to become a member of the United Nations Human Rights Council on Tuesday as China and Russia were elected to three-year terms.

Human rights groups hailed the snub to Saudi Arabia, which deals a blow to the kingdom's attempts to improve its image in the international community.

Full report at France 24: Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Goes to show it doesn't matter if your country supports human rights, it just matters how much power you have.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Goes to show it doesn't matter if your country supports human rights, it just matters how much power you have.

Surely it shows just the opposite ? 

6 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Surely it shows just the opposite ? 

I don't follow?

Russia, China, and Saudi governments all have horrible human rights records and honestly don't really believe in the whole concept.

But China and Russia get elected onto the human rights committee while Saudi does not because China and Russia have much more influence and power.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

I don't follow?

Russia, China, and Saudi governments all have horrible human rights records and honestly don't really believe in the whole concept.

But China and Russia get elected onto the human rights committee while Saudi does not because China and Russia have much more influence and power.

Hmm... but Saudi was originally going to be placed onto the Committee AS WELL. But now it isn't. 

Surely that is a positive thing ? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmm... but Saudi was originally going to be placed onto the Committee AS WELL. But now it isn't. 

Surely that is a positive thing ? 

Yeah. Don't disagree.

I was just pointing out how the human rights committee membership has nonething to do with human rights, everything to do with power. Its sad.

Like I don't believe Saudi should be on the human rights committee if that's what you're confused about.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Yeah. Don't disagree.

I was just pointing out how the human rights committee membership has nonething to do with human rights, everything to do with power. Its sad.

Like I don't believe Saudi should be on the human rights committee if that's what you're confused about.

Fair point. But then, we have to bear in mind the very chequered history of the HRC, following the dissolution of its predecessor, the UNHCR under criticism of having members that flouted human rights, and having a disproportional focus on Israel. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Human_Rights_Council#Criticism

Guess what... the new HCR still has major human rights violators in its membership, and has a disproportional focus on Israel. This is why President Trump pulled the USA out of it.