Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Virgin Mary chalk drawing reappears 13 yrs on

UM-Bot

Why is it that only European versions only ever seem to pop up? Lol

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Well I suppose for those basking in this “divine intervention” , it is a little less deranged than worshipping a burned outline of Jesus on a piece of toast.

Soft pastel (oil) on pavement under the hot sun will cook and bind into the asphalt.  Based on where this art is located, it is dry and hot year round.  

• Like 1

Someone crept in and repainted it.  I can’t claim to know God well, though I have tried for many years, yet... it seems to me that if God we’re to make a painting, it wouldn’t be of the “virgin” Mary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AstralHorus said:

Why is it that only European versions only ever seem to pop up? Lol

You're wrong.  This is Our Lady of Guadalupe, a Mexican icon and this chalk drawing is in Mexico

20171208T1236-13066-CNS-BYZANTINE-CATHOL

• Like 2

I am a believer from the evidence that Marian miracles do occur to fortify the faithful. 13 years of cars driving over it? This may be another case but I'd like to hear a serious unbiased scientific opinion pronounced.

• Haha 1

It looks like they threw water on it, which may have washed away road grime and revealed the pigment from the drawing. This is completely possible, if it was drawn with pastels rather than sidewalk chalk.

Edited by Seti42
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

You're wrong.  This is Our Lady of Guadalupe, a Mexican icon and this chalk drawing is in Mexico

I think the reference was to "European looking" men /women.

Christ is not often portrayed as middle eastern, and neither is mary 

While there is a hint of the exotic, and perhaps native mesoamerican in the woman(and more so the child) she still appears  European ( probably southern european) Interestingly, the colour  of her hand skin is darker than her facial colour, almost as if a  European face was transposed onto a darker skinned woman.

Beautiful artwork, in any case. 

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

Beautiful.

It is interesting how in almost identical paintings her skin colour varies from  very white to quite dark, although her features are never changed 

eg

Celebrate Feast Day for Our Lady of Guadalupe with the St. George Catholic  Church – St George News

and

Rodriguez Elementary - "I'm Testing Like That" - 2019 STAAR Music Video |  Facebook

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Why is this even important? I just don't get some of you.

why is what important?

Of course you won't  get  (aren't into) things which some get (are into)  and others wont get some things which you do (are into) .

Everyone has different interests. 

The only real problem is when a person has no deep interest in ANY thing,  and where this affects their quality of life 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Walker said:

Beautiful.

It is interesting how in almost identical paintings her skin colour varies from  very white to quite dark, although her features are never changed 

eg

Celebrate Feast Day for Our Lady of Guadalupe with the St. George Catholic  Church – St George News

and

Rodriguez Elementary - "I'm Testing Like That" - 2019 STAAR Music Video |  Facebook

Probably depends on what the artists looks like. Understandable.

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Got to admit if true a chalk drawing on pavement reappearing years later is pretty cool.

24 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Probably depends on what the artists looks like. Understandable.

Yes, I think it depends on the artist and their cultural background.

I just read up the historical background on this.

Fascinating stuff. 

Edited by Mr Walker

8 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Well, it's a report of a 'supernatural' occurrence, so it fits with the overall theme of this site.

Religious sightings/events are not at all dissimilar to UFO or cryptozoological or paranormal sightings/events.

It's also something to debunk and scrutinize. 

I personally lump all this stuff together, because it's all about belief, faith, and mythological thinking superseding scientific thinking in, well, believers. Aliens are just 20th/21st century angels, demons, fae, and/or gods. It's all connected.

12 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I am a believer from the evidence that Marian miracles do occur to fortify the faithful. 13 years of cars driving over it? This may be another case but I'd like to hear a serious unbiased scientific opinion pronounced.

You're saying

God tags the faithful

Is a credible idea?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OverSword said:

Can’t blame me, topic title is “Virgin Mary”. Not lady of Guadalupe 

and like stated before, change the skin color and she becomes a completely different icon :whistle:

Edited by AstralHorus

13 minutes ago, AstralHorus said:

Can’t blame me, topic title is “Virgin Mary”. Not lady of Guadalupe 

and like stated before, change the skin color and she becomes a completely different icon :whistle:

Not really they both are representations of the mother of Christ. I don’t agree about the skin color having significance. The Buddha was from India but representations of him in Japan are Asian.  

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Not really they both are representations of the mother of Christ. I don’t agree about the skin color having significance. The Buddha was from India but representations of him in Japan are Asian.  

Definitely does as it entails these figures just morph to better represent the people that reside in those regions. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, psyche101 said:

God tags the faithful

Is a credible idea?

My bad. I misread your post. Carry on.

Edited by eight bits

Sorry, but I see something totally different in this. Virgin Mary NO but a picture of a spinning top. Perhaps it is an omen from the "spinning top God" or maybe a sugar beet??

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, psyche101 said:

You're saying

God tags the faithful

Is a credible idea?

Yes, that is a credible idea but 'God' might be too vague a word there. Mary and associates may be a more specific agent of these actions. The evidence is there from many other cases to make the theory quite credible.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, psyche101 said:

You're saying

God tags the faithful

Is a credible idea?

Makes perfect sense, no?

• Haha 1