Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black bears slaughtered with arrows

Eldorado

Scores of black bears were slaughtered with bows and arrows during the first day of a controversial annual hunt.

A total of 62 bears were killed during the New Jersey hunt on Monday – down from 108 killed on the first day of the 2019 bear season.

The Garden State’s Sussex County recorded the most bears killed – 29 – with a further 17 dying after being pierced by arrows in Morris County. A further 15 bears were killed across Warren, Passaic, Bergen and Hunterdon counties

UK Metro Link

NJ News: Link

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

56 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Scores of black bears were slaughtered with bows and arrows during the first day of a controversial annual hunt.

A total of 62 bears were killed during the New Jersey hunt on Monday – down from 108 killed on the first day of the 2019 bear season.

The Garden State’s Sussex County recorded the most bears killed – 29 – with a further 17 dying after being pierced by arrows in Morris County. A further 15 bears were killed across Warren, Passaic, Bergen and Hunterdon counties

UK Metro Link

Actually, that's not a lot of bears. Hundreds are taken annually on Vancouver Island alone, nevermind the rest of B.C. Bears proliferate like rabbits when food is plentiful. Global warming has been good for the bears. Shorter, milder winters, coupled with warmer spring, and summers produces a huge bounty of food for them. This leads to a much smaller mortality rate amongst cubs. If the bears aren't culled, they move into the suburbs, and that never ends well. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

UK Metro Link

What an ill-informed bit of sensationalist, euphorian reporting. Game management is hardly an unknown practice. Nor is the very long history of harvesting valuable resources.

Bare in mind that we have documentation of contact-period Native Americans harvesting as many as 500 hundred bears in a 10 day period, spearing them as they were residing in their wintering hibernation dens.

Edit: Typo.

Edited by Swede
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Archery season opened October 3 in Pennsylvania. I know deer and turkey can be hunted by bow and arrow also. You'll have to look up the dates.

There was a woman in Passaic Co NJ that fed the bears. She went on vacation and came back to a wrecked house. LOL!

The NJ governor is threating that this is the last bear hunt. 

The opening day was rain all day. I suspect harvesting numbers will go up by closing of the season.

There's a lot of bears in NW NJ. Game managment is essential while hunting is the most cost effective and beneficial.

Bear is good eatin. Let the projectiles fly to proper culling.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Eldorado said:

with a further 17 dying after being pierced by arrows

Too many unskilled "hunters" with bows and this is fu---- up ^^^. Its also about some senseless need to kill not about game management. If that were the case there are far more humane ways to cull the herd then a misplaced arrow through the gut

Slaughter is right. What a joke

• Like 3

As said misplaced arrows could cause a painful death but same with firearms.I've bow hunted feral goats here,hit them through the chest and they just looked up, then kept grazing,walked a few metres then dropped dead,they didn't know they were hit.So bow hunting isn't a cruel way to cull with an experienced shot.

• Sad 1

On 10/15/2020 at 10:14 AM, Eldorado said:

UK Metro Link

I'm not condoning killing native wildlife for any reason.I control feral animals here that destroy habitat or endanger the native animals through predation.Personally I'd rather die quickly from an arrow or bullet than linger in agony from an illness,which a lot of living creatures have to do. 

• Thanks 3

The problem is not that there are too many black bears, the real problem is that there are too many humans.

Well, we happily kill eachother off during wars, but that doesn't really diminish our numbers.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

The problem is not that there are too many black bears, the real problem is that there are too many humans.

Well, we happily kill eachother off during wars, but that doesn't really diminish our numbers.

Maybe a day or two of purging will reduce the numbers. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, kartikg said:

Maybe a day or two of purging will reduce the numbers. 

Ok, we'll start with the followers of the Abrahamic religions. That'll take out billions. They will think it's an act of their god.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, openozy said:

I'm not condoning killing native wildlife for any reason.I control feral animals here that destroy habitat or endanger the native animals through predation.Personally I'd rather die quickly from an arrow or bullet than linger in agony from an illness,which a lot of living creatures have to do. 

I understand the reluctance of many who've never been hunters to kill animals in the wild - apparently for ANY reason.  I guess that's supposed to be merciful to the animals.  The truth is more nuanced.  Game management has evolved over the decades and it isn't just some excuse to go into the woods and ambush Bambi.  I think the average person who is offended or angered about these animals being killed with primitive weapons, would be VERY conflicted about their stance if they could see the starvation, disease and other hardships these animals endure based on the abundance of food in their habitat.  I lived in central Mississippi 10 years ago and at that time there were more deer than people.  I'd never apologize or feel any guilt for culling animals that I'd use for food.  I've never hunted for trophies and never would.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Ok, we'll start with the followers of the Abrahamic religions. That'll take out billions. They will think it's an act of their god.

Nah... they'd naturally be rebellious and they'd shoot back.

49 minutes ago, and then said:

I understand the reluctance of many who've never been hunters to kill animals in the wild - apparently for ANY reason.  I guess that's supposed to be merciful to the animals.  The truth is more nuanced.  Game management has evolved over the decades and it isn't just some excuse to go into the woods and ambush Bambi.  I think the average person who is offended or angered about these animals being killed with primitive weapons, would be VERY conflicted about their stance if they could see the starvation, disease and other hardships these animals endure based on the abundance of food in their habitat.  I lived in central Mississippi 10 years ago and at that time there were more deer than people.  I'd never apologize or feel any guilt for culling animals that I'd use for food.  I've never hunted for trophies and never would.

Some people like to believe wild animals live until old age and then go to sleep in a leafy glade.When you see an old roo that is down,covered in meat ants and still trying to stand it sort of ends that fairy tale.I feel people think hunters are sadistic and cruel when in fact the majority are animal and environmental enthusiasts. 

• Like 2

I don't have anything against hunters killing game for their flesh.

But as soon as they start culling certain animals because there are too many, I start thinking: which species is the actual plague on this rock? And why have certain other animals become a plague?

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 2

If they eat them, and the population are strong, i don't see the problem hunting them. With the culling of wolves, bear population are free to expand until a famine or a sickness kill most of them...

Just see the deer population just expanding and now we have illness like chronic wasting disease (CWD) but also they bring ticks that kill moose here in the north because the populations are intertwined now. 

We messed up the food chain so bad that artificial population control are the way to go until we decide to reintroduce wolf everywhere.

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 2

So, Covid19 is actually a good thing, because we are being culled by it. Maybe some other entity should spare us the misery of suffering from this disease?

You know, I like to view things the other way round.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

were"scores of bears slaughtered"or  culled with bows and arrows ? i've never had a chance to hunt with a bow cause its illegal here but i would imagine they are just as deadly as guns in the right hands. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2020 at 3:58 AM, Abramelin said:

Maybe some other entity should spare us the misery of suffering from this disease?

It should but we have wiped out most of the human predators or outsmarted them,not really smart in the long term, human overpopulation and the diseases that step in to take us out.Diseases are the only entities capable of controlling us.People need to stop their out of control breeding.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Love Buzz said:

I could never kill an animal. I feel bad enough killing a bug.

Unfortunately we have to take lives to survive,be it animal or plant.Killing living things isn't everyones cuppa but luckily others have no moral dilemma about it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Matt221 said:

were"scores of bears slaughtered"or  culled with bows and arrows ? i've never had a chance to hunt with a bow cause its illegal here but i would imagine they are just as deadly as guns in the right hands. 

They can be as you can sometimes get a second or third shot without spooking other animals.

• Like 2

Seems like a pen knife to take down a bull or buffalo, large calibere rifle only would probably be quicker.

--Nosy

On 10/17/2020 at 9:32 PM, and then said:

I've never hunted for trophies and never would.

Trophy hunters are the scourge of every decent hunter,outdoors person and environmentalist,they hide behind the conservation curtain claiming their money spent on hunts goes to saving wildlife.A load of bull----,I doubt some,if any goes to this once it hit corrupt Africa.These so called hunters are sick characters imo and are making halfwit organizations like PETA target caring hunters.

• Like 2