Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is there any real mystery?

TrumanB

21 hours ago, TrumanB said:

So, is there any real mystery that remains unsolved?

The world is FULL of unanswered questions; of mysteries great and small.  There's huge questions to be answered and real research that needs doing.

HOWEVER... in order to access those areas with the real Unexplained Mysteries, you do have to know quite a bit in depth about multiple topics -- more than the average person has easy access to.  A real ancient mystery is "who is Akhenaten's direct successor", for example.  Or "why did only certain animals die at the end of the ice age while others of a same size and same econiche lived?"  or "how did dinosaurs survive at the arctic circles during the Cretaceous"... and on and on and on.

BUT.... people tend to focus on little well-known things.  They want to discuss pyramids at Egypt and not temples, artifacts, digsites, etc.  They find mysteries in an astronomer's hypothesis about the Younger Dryas BUT.... they don't look at the geological or paleontological evidence.

You can read through this topic and you'll see that we've brought up a lot of real mysteries, but they all get overridden by Giza and the Usual Suspects.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

You can read through this topic and you'll see that we've brought up a lot of real mysteries, but they all get overridden by Giza and the Usual Suspects.

Lets see what is boring; Atlantis, great pyramid, aliens, giants, Biblical myths, and did I mention Atlantis? They have been beaten to death and continue to be beaten in death continuously causing them to pass into a new inter-dimensional place called the tried-of-hearing-it-zone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hanslune said:

Lets see what is boring; Atlantis, great pyramid, aliens, giants, Biblical myths, and did I mention Atlantis? They have been beaten to death and continue to be beaten in death continuously causing them to pass into a new inter-dimensional place called the tried-of-hearing-it-zone.

Maybe but there are new generations who are new to these mysteries...

14 minutes ago, TrumanB said:

Yes, and they keep going for the oldies and moldies.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Thanos5150 said:

Like were they adapted from proto-cuneiform?

That is one of the more realistic theories, yes. There's no evidence that Egyptian hieroglyphs were "taken" from cuneiform but that the idea of cuneiform writing gave Egyptians the idea for their own form of writing. It used to be thought that cuneiform was a lot older than hieroglyphs. That changed when Günther Dryer excavated Tomb U-j at Abydos andnwhich still ranks as our oldest evidence for hieroglyphs yet. It pushed back the origin of hieroglyphs by several centuries—and has made their first known aooearance right at the same time as cuneiform. So it's no longer zs clear-cut as once thought.

The exact order of royal succession between Akhenaten and Tut interests you, but not the succession of elongated skulls of various types found throughout Dynastic history, the least of which the line of Tut?     

Actually there is no clearcut evidence for skull deformation in dynastic Egypt. Forensic experts such as John Nunn and Joyce Filer are pretty clear on this. While skull binding has occurred all over the world, it does not seem to have valued in ancient Egypt. Tut's skull was  not manually deformed, and despite its odd appearance, that was natural. It closely resembles th KV55 skull because it's entirely possible the person buried in KV55 was Tut's father. So that would poit to genetics, not skull deformation.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TrumanB said:

Just because a man is ignorant there’s no reason his child must be. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kenemet said:

Or "why did only certain animals die at the end of the ice age while others of a same size and same econiche lived?"

The will of Our Past Masters. 

That’s not a mystery at all. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kmt_sesh said:

That is one of the more realistic theories, yes. There's no evidence that Egyptian hieroglyphs were "taken" from cuneiform but that the idea of cuneiform writing gave Egyptians the idea for their own form of writing. It used to be thought that cuneiform was a lot older than hieroglyphs. That changed when Günther Dryer excavated Tomb U-j at Abydos andnwhich still ranks as our oldest evidence for hieroglyphs yet. It pushed back the origin of hieroglyphs by several centuries—and has made their first known aooearance right at the same time as cuneiform. So it's no longer zs clear-cut as once thought.

Proto-cuneiform dates to C.3500BC whereas Tomb U-j to c.3300-3150BC depending on your source, which both are subjective regardless, though personally I think c.3200BC is most likely. Regardless, what is found in Tomb U-j are not necessarily "hieroglyphs" either, but rather "proto-hieroglyphic" with most of the symbols unrecognizable in the hieroglyphs that came later. 

Tomb U-j:

tombu-j_tags.jpg?w=529

They are also written on clay tokens-another idea "borrowed" from Mesopotamia during this period as were the use of cylinder seals. Given the clear signs of Mesopotamian influence found in Naqada II and again Naqada III, both coinciding with the two periods of the Uruk expansion, while the Egyptians may not have directly borrowed proto-cuneiform writing itself, they did not speak the same language after all, it seems clear they were directly inspired by it right down to the means used to disseminate it.     

Actually there is no clearcut evidence for skull deformation in dynastic Egypt. Forensic experts such as John Nunn and Joyce Filer are pretty clear on this. While skull binding has occurred all over the world, it does not seem to have valued in ancient Egypt. Tut's skull was  not manually deformed, and despite its odd appearance, that was natural. It closely resembles th KV55 skull because it's entirely possible the person buried in KV55 was Tut's father. So that would poit to genetics, not skull deformation.

I didn't say anything about artificial cranial deformation....

Edited by Thanos5150
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Great Pyramid boring?  It's the least boring ancient structure on Earth.  Is this boring?
http://emhotep.net/two-entrances-to-the-king%E2%80%99s-chamber-and-how-they-were-sealed%E2%80%94more-with-jean-pierre-houdin/

1 hour ago, WVK said:

Great Pyramid boring?  It's the least boring ancient structure on Earth.  Is this boring?
http://emhotep.net/two-entrances-to-the-king’s-chamber-and-how-they-were-sealed—more-with-jean-pierre-houdin/

It its self is not boring the dreadful part is those who obsess over it and out of kilter ideas - endlessly, the idea of it and what can be imagined. On another site I was having a conversation over the item in question. The individual appeared to not realize that right next to it was near copy. G2 seemed to have came as a surprise to them.

• Like 3

@TrumanB -

Great topic, with an interesting opening post:

On 10/14/2020 at 7:38 PM, TrumanB said:

So, is there any real mystery that remains unsolved? Or we can just retire from this forum because every topic is debunked? My question is specifically directed to the sceptics of this forum. Is there any question that still excites you, makes your heart beat and feel that there is something more?

I see a connection between your questions and the phrase underneath your avatar:

“There is neither creation nor destruction, neither destiny nor free will, neither path nor achievement. This is the final truth.”   Sri Ramana

This is the final truth” seems to mirror your questions directed to skepticsIs there something more?”  

I don’t really have anything to offer to the discussion, I just thought the connection was interesting. 

• Like 5

It's a mystery as to why Thutmosis IV was not DNA tested.

It's a mystery what the "bad things", some form of hostility, referenced by Akhenaten on the boundary stelae involved, and why does he reference an increase in this from the reign of Thutmosis IV, continuing into the reign of Amunhotep III and getting worse and worse up his own year 4. This must have a profound bearing on the Amarna mystery over all, and we know nothing, except that 730 statues of Sekhmet appear at Karnak. One for each day and one for each night of the year.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

It its self is not boring the dreadful part is those who obsess over it and out of kilter ideas - endlessly, the idea of it and what can be imagined. On another site I was having a conversation over the item in question. The individual appeared to not realize that right next to it was near copy. G2 seemed to have came as a surprise to them.

I would put forward the opinion that the Giza monuments are easy to deal with. By that I mean that any Tom Dick and Harry can make stuff up without too much knowledge of the AE, all they have to do is join up dots in which ever order is needed to suit whatever nonsense it is they are peddling. And of course just an imagination is required to write science fiction about the site, or just downright lies. Dealing with the boundary stelae, and other matters, requires at least a modicum of knowledge of their history, culture, language and religion.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

It its self is not boring the dreadful part is those who obsess over it and out of kilter ideas - 

Speaking of out of kilter ideas, the sarcophagus has a very notable acoustical quality. Wonder what the ancients would have made of it  Some sort of magic?

"The first night we went in there, we spent the whole evening singing in the room. We made up little choral groups and divided up into different vocal parts and just sang. The sound was incredibly rich And full. Also, the King's Chamber has a giant sarcophagus in it -a rectangular coffin about 7 X 4 X 4 feet -and it, too, had a particular resonance, so each of us took turns lying down inside of it and humming notes. When you found the resonant note, the softest you could hum would reverberate so much in that frequency that it would massage your whole body. And if you hummed at the level of a reasonable talking voice or louder, it actually hurt your ears. "

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/egyptbam3.htm

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wepwawet said:

I would put forward the opinion that the Giza monuments are easy to deal with. By that I mean that any Tom Dick and Harry can make stuff up without too much knowledge of the AE, all they have to do is join up dots in which ever order is needed to suit whatever nonsense it is they are peddling. And of course just an imagination is required to write science fiction about the site, or just downright lies. Dealing with the boundary stelae, and other matters, requires at least a modicum of knowledge of their history, culture, language and religion.

Yep, a superficial knowledge of a site is no barrier to fervent speculation. Egypt is the last of the civilizations I have come to study - but there is just to much - but I find the oddities and outliers to be more interesting than the Giza pyramids. Waggy guides I find to full of interesting details, and threads here and elsewhere.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, WVK said:

Speaking of out of kilter ideas, the sarcophagus has a very notable acoustical quality. Wonder what the ancients would have made of it  Some sort of magic?

"The first night we went in there, we spent the whole evening singing in the room. We made up little choral groups and divided up into different vocal parts and just sang. The sound was incredibly rich And full. Also, the King's Chamber has a giant sarcophagus in it -a rectangular coffin about 7 X 4 X 4 feet -and it, too, had a particular resonance, so each of us took turns lying down inside of it and humming notes. When you found the resonant note, the softest you could hum would reverberate so much in that frequency that it would massage your whole body. And if you hummed at the level of a reasonable talking voice or louder, it actually hurt your ears. "

Howdy WVK most rock built structures with flat surfaces will echo sound. I once ventured into a tour of the Maginot line forts, reinforced concrete  and steel plating everywhere - foot steps and voices would build up in some of the spaces so much that there was a silence rule.

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, WVK said:

Perhaps by some means the Ommmm of "Atenists" outside G1 in their white robes may have become magnified and entered the pyramid. In fact I wonder what an Ommmm would sound like in the King's Chamber, quite eerie I suspect.

• Like 2

Just now, Hanslune said:

Howdy WVK most rock built structures with flat surfaces will echo sound. I once ventured into a tour of the Maginot line forts, reinforced concrete  and steel plating everywhere - foot steps and voices would build up in some of the spaces so much that their was a silence rule.

Specifically this reported  acoustical phenomena. Was it intentional, if not was it noticed and if noticed used?  The effect as described is not subtle.

"Also, the King's Chamber has a giant sarcophagus in it -a rectangular coffin about 7 X 4 X 4 feet -and it, too, had a particular resonance, so each of us took turns lying down inside of it and humming notes. When you found the resonant note, the softest you could hum would reverberate so much in that frequency that it would massage your whole body. And if you hummed at the level of a reasonable talking voice or louder, it actually hurt your ears. "

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wepwawet said:

Perhaps by some means the Ommmm of "Atenists" outside G1 in their white robes may have become magnified and entered the pyramid. In fact I wonder what an Ommmm would sound like in the King's Chamber, quite eerie I suspect.

I heard at type of 'ommm' by around two-three score of Hindu's in the Pashupatinath Temple, Kathmandu. The majority of the buildings was made from stone, the roof was wood I believe. The room contained crypts, and also held  the symbol of the deity Shiva – lingams. Quite overwhelming.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, simplybill said:

@TrumanB -

Great topic, with an interesting opening post:

I see a connection between your questions and the phrase underneath your avatar:

“There is neither creation nor destruction, neither destiny nor free will, neither path nor achievement. This is the final truth.”   Sri Ramana

This is the final truth” seems to mirror your questions directed to skepticsIs there something more?”  

I don’t really have anything to offer to the discussion, I just thought the connection was interesting. 

Thanks. This quote is not related to any specific mystery it's more of a mystical truth by enlighted being called Sri Ramana.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 3:55 PM, Mr Guitar said:

I've found, personally, that, as I age, (75 as we speak), there are fewer and fewer 'aha' moments and that day to day existence is pretty boring. Science is coming closer to explaining just about everything down to a level that is so far removed from everyday life that most just don't bother to even try to be interested. If something doesn't affect me more or less directly, I have a difficult time caring about whether quantum entanglement will result in better computers, or stuff we're seeing in the sky actually happened 'x' number of billion years ago, or why some ancient civilization did 'such and such' (had to be for food, sex or religion) 5,000 years ago. To me, it just doesn't matter much. I would like to see discovery of a real, live intelligent civilization (not microbes, etc.) out in the cosmos somewhere and I'd really like for those Oak Island guys to finally find out if there's something really there (been following that since I was in middle school). Other than that, like someone said, "just another cold grave" to look forward to. My shrink asks me why I don't care about doing music or art anymore and I tell him that I see no point in it and he counters with "well there's really no point in ANYTHING. Something is only important if you make it important" and as I age, I find fewer and fewer things to attach importance to.

Hello Mr. Guitar, your post is for me kind of scary... I am 63 years old, and I love this site just because of all the new discoveries being posted, and any resulting discussion that follows it.

If all that doesn't interest you anymore, you should maybe hang out with little kids a bit more: for them everything is new and exciting because their cup is still empty.

But I'd like to know what things you still do find important or worthwile to know of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Thanos5150 said:

...I didn't say anything about artificial cranial deformation....

In that case, my apologies. 

8 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Hello Mr. Guitar, your post is for me kind of scary... I am 63 years old, and I love this site just because of all the new discoveries being posted, and any resulting discussion that follows it.

If all that doesn't interest you anymore, you should maybe hang out with little kids a bit more: for them everything is new and exciting because their cup is still empty.

But I'd like to know what things you still do find important or worthwile to know of.

Very little interests me as there are no 'aha' moments anymore. And I dislike little kids - that's why I never had any of my own.  Most of my hobbies/activities have pretty much gone by the wayside because there's no point in getting involved in things when I'll be dead in a few years. I've never understood those folks who continue full bore at an advanced age like they're immortal, which they're not, but they don't seem to realize it. I figured out long ago that it will come to a screeching halt and have become at peace with that knowledge. I've been a pro/semi pro musician for about 50 of my 75 years but, lately, have lost interest because there's just no point in doing it any more and the virus has closed down all the venues where I used to work. I find it impossible to play for myself so I don't play at all. Everything that I've ever been good at and enjoyed like art and music have become a chore so it's time to settle back and wait for the end. You may not understand this but it's clear to me - it might be the PTSD talking but when you've been in war with people trying to kill you an a daily basis, your mind works in a different way.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1