Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is there any real mystery?

TrumanB

5 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

What existed before the Big Bang occurred, there must have been something there that would have created the elements that allowed it to occur.

Cladking?

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Cladking?

Your wit alludes me, sorry!:whistle:

I don't know what a Cladking is.

Edited by Manwon Lender

10 hours ago, Dejarma said:

it depends on what one classes as a mystery

This topic is about non-criminal mysteries. So murders and similar things are out.

9 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

How do you classify yourself?:)

The internet has changed nothing for me because it is merely a tool.  Where I used to know nothing and look things up in the encyclopedia I now use google instead. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, cladking said:

The internet has changed nothing for me because it is merely a tool.  Where I used to know nothing and look things up in the encyclopedia I now use google instead. 

What makes you think this has changed? Why are you better/smarter than every other human on Earth, since you claim everyone else is a moron?

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cladking said:

The internet is a mere tool for you? I wonder how you would feel if it disappeared.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

What makes you think this has changed? Why are you better/smarter than every other human on Earth, since you claim everyone else is a moron?

If I ever said everyone else is a "moron" then I misspoke.  What I probably said is that there is no such thing as what we call "intelligence".  Individuals can experience an event I call "cleverness" but no such condition exists.  

All people today experience everything in terms of their own unique set of beliefs.  Some people believe there are no mysteries and call themselves "skeptics" but in my own opinion (my own belief) is that nobody knows enough to even have an outline of the nature of reality and human nature.  Without understanding consciousness it's impossible to truly know anything at all.  I believe ancient people and animals had a rudimentary understanding of consciousness which is how they made creations that we now often find "mysterious".  

Your problem seems to be that when I use a term like "all people" you believe I am excluding myself.  But I am like everyone else and would use different terms if I were excluding myself.  I just happen to be the only person who knows there is no such thing as the condition referred to as "intelligence" and that I am (otherwise) ignorant.   But I'm still just the same as you.  

Edited by cladking
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, docyabut2 said:

Statues of Shepherd Kings

like to know who these twins were.

Statues of Shepherd Kings?

Another intriguing possibility exists. It is possible that the whole area was blighted by plague (was this god smiting?) and that the Hyksos were badly affected by this too. Thus they took over during a time of crisis and were unable to push further into Egypt because they too were suffering the effects of the plague.

https://ancientegyptonline.co.uk/hyksos/

Could this be the Bible story of Moses`s plague ?

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 10:15 PM, kmt_sesh said:

I'd rank myself a skeptic in most things. I don't believe in aliens from outer space, I don't believe in critters like Bigfoot or Nessie, I don't believe in Atlantis, and on it goes.

I am a self-admitted  thsthistory nerd, especially Egypt and the ancient Near East. This is a subject that I've researched and explored for over three decades. Ancient Egypt presents long-standing mysteries that probably bore most um posters but endlessly draw me in. these include the precise origin of hieroglyphs. the exact order of royal succession between Akhenaten and Tut, to name a. couple of examples. Like I said, boring to most posters buy highly relevant to us Egyptophiles.

There are plenty of mysteries out there. We just have to be realistic.

kmt so glad to have you back on the topics of Egypt :)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cladking said:

If I ever said everyone else is a "moron" then I misspoke.  What I probably said is that there is no such thing as what we call "intelligence".  Individuals can experience an event I call "cleverness" but no such condition exists.  

All people today experience everything in terms of their own unique set of beliefs.  Some people believe there are no mysteries and call themselves "skeptics" but in my own opinion (my own belief) is that nobody knows enough to even have an outline of the nature of reality and human nature.  Without understanding consciousness it's impossible to truly know anything at all.  I believe ancient people and animals had a rudimentary understanding of consciousness which is how they made creations that we now often find "mysterious".  

Your problem seems to be that when I use a term like "all people" you believe I am excluding myself.  But I am like everyone else and would use different terms if I were excluding myself.  I just happen to be the only person who knows there is no such thing as the condition referred to as "intelligence" and that I am (otherwise) ignorant.   But I'm still just the same as you.  

Then we should just ignore you then while you have these 'mood' swings from thinking you know everything to now when you are not sure what whether you are capable of even thinking....

Actually there are fields (such as Egyptology) where everything published or Peer reviewed is probably wrong. At least there is rational reason to believe everything concerning the so called old kingdom is wrong. I believe this applies to much of archaeology and anthropology as well. Most of "sociology" depends on assumptions that can not be shown and all social sciences are founded ideas that can not be shown experimentally.

How does your opinion above match with your statement above? If you don't know anything how do you know other people are wrong? LOL

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 2

I think there are still plenty of mysteries out in the world.  I also agree that life would be more boring without them.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

When you learn enough about a subject the mystery/s disappear. 

Yes, but also in my experience the more you learn about a subject the more cracks, mysteries and mistakes are seen and questions that need to be answered cannot be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2020 at 5:38 PM, TrumanB said:

So, is there any real mystery that remains unsolved? Or we can just retire from this forum because every topic is debunked? My question is specifically directed to the sceptics of this forum. Is there any question that still excites you, makes your heart beat and feel that there is something more? Or reality is that boring and everything can be explained by plain science? Do you keep a list of unexplained mysteries ( and what are they ) or you just like to squabble with believers?

1) Where did the Fayoum A culture come from? Where did the Naqada culture come from? What was the extent of Mesopotamian influence on the formation of the Egyptian Dynastic state?

2) Why are 1st Dynasty non-royal mastabas at Saqqara and elsewhere superior to their royal counterparts at Um el-Qa'ab? Why do these mastabas utilize the Mesopotamian inspired palace facade motif whereas those at Um el-Qa'ab do not? And yet the nearby enclosures do? What inspired the practice of ritual mass murder of royal retainers lasting through the 1st Dynasty only to end abruptly in the 2nd Dynasty? 

3) What inspired the "pyramids" of the 1st Dynasty? How many were there? Credited to the reign of the pharaoh Anedjib, why did they build a "pyramid" only to later completely enclose it within a palace facade mastaba? Why were many of the 1st palace facade mastabas ransacked by arson? What inspired the practice of ritual mass murder of royal retainers lasting through the 1st Dynasty only to end abruptly in the 2nd Dynasty?  

4) Why did the Dynastic state apparently collapse in the 2nd Dynasty and why the resurgence under Khasekhemwy? What were the relationships between early Dynastic Egypt and their neighbors in the Levant? 

5) What led to and make possible the abrupt and radical transformation of stone working from the reign of Khasekhemwy to his successor Djoser with no difference in tooling or materials? When was the original mastaba inside the Saqqara pyramid built? Why did Djoser convert it to a pyramid? Why are there "fake" buildings in Djoser's pyramid complex not meant to actually be used? Many more. 

6) Who built the tower core of Meidum and why and when? Why did Sneferu convert it to a true pyramid despite the fact he built two others supposedly as his "tombs"? 

7) What was the extent pre-4th Dynasty occupation at Giza? Why did Djedefre build at Abu Roash, also an early Dynastic site, and not Giza? Why do the people of the time not acknowledge the Sphinx not only as the guardian of the necropolis but nearly at all? Why is the architecture of the mortuary temple of Khafre so different from one segment to the next? Why is the megalithic architecture of the G2 mortuary temple and Valley Temple and the G3 mortuary temple so different than the rest of Giza? I could write a whole page of "mysteries" to be had at Giza before I even got to the mysteries of "how" they did it.

And this is just a snippet of just one period of ancient Egypt. Much more and it keeps going. 

What are the origins of Cro-Magnon and why was he so physically and behaviorally different than his Homo sapien contemporaries? When did he really disappear? Why are there no fully modern skulls found in Africa until thousands of years after their appearance in Europe which with few exceptions all some 25,000-30,000yrs later? What does the Venus figure really represent? What are the origins of the Dolni Vestonice culture and where are there predecessors? Why do elongated skulls start appearing in the Near East in the 8th millennium becoming part and parcel of the population of the Near East and greater Mediterranean for the next several thousand years? Who and what are the elongated skull eye-idols and "reptilian" figures of the Ubaid? 

What caused 90% of all life to become extinct prior the Cambrian explosion and where did the new life that replaced them come from? What is wave-particle duality really? What is quantum entanglement really? Baryon asymmetry-where is all the dark matter? What is dark matter? Why are all electrons in the universe identical? What is wrong with the cosmological constant?

I need to go, but if everything is a mystery you know too little. If nothing is mystery you know to little. All I know is the more I know the less I know.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

Statues of Shepherd Kings

like to know who these twins were.

Not twins (or shepherd kings) but a twin statue of king Amenemhat III from the 12th dynasty representing the king as a Nile god (Hapi). Like many MK statues it was reused in a later period, like the "Hyksos Sphinxes" in the wikipedia article mentioned by jethrofloyd in the second link below:

13 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

Another intriguing possibility exists. It is possible that the whole area was blighted by plague (was this god smiting?) and that the Hyksos were badly affected by this too. Thus they took over during a time of crisis and were unable to push further into Egypt because they too were suffering the effects of the plague.

https://ancientegyptonline.co.uk/hyksos/

Could this be the Bible story of Moses`s plague ?

Did anyone read docyabut2's link? I think it is great

But maybe I am easily impressed.

On 10/15/2020 at 8:06 AM, Hanslune said:

There are still hundreds if not thousands of mysteries. However, those are passed over for 'popular' mysteries that are flogged incessantly for money. Atlantis, pyramids, Lemuria, etc.

Mysteries I have been investigating or been interested in for 50+ years

Why didn't human civilization begin during the warming period in the Eemian period as it did after the last ice age?

Why did the Indus civilization dissolve?

Why did people move into more difficult terrain from good easy to live in terrain?

How did HSS interface with HSD, HSN and HS??

How did language develop?

Why did the Maya city states collapse?

Why did the Polynesians take to the sea?

Why did folks with farming skills start working their way up into Europe that thenbrought them into land that had hard winters?

Etc, etc.

Maya collapse is very and I mean very much explained. No mysteries there at all.

Science never said first domesticated horse is then and then and here and here. Science say earlist evidence of domesticated horse is here. History as science is self correcting. In that sense Gobekli Tepe is not much mystery. We just start to explore it. Give those peeps more time and you will see. 

If you ask me there is no big mysteries in history. I think that mystery is more personal thing. What is mystery to me to another is not. For example, one forum member said Maya collapse. I mean...seriously. But then again no one can know all. No one is omniscientists. Although some wants to be. 

Mystery can be "created" so to say if person have different point of view than someone before him. Than questions can be raised cuz peeps never see something through that lenses so they still dont have answers.

In that sense we should rather look for persons who have different views.

I would rather hear from sceptics what is the names of members who gave them more hard times in positive sense than others. 

If I must ignore what I said before and post some mysteries to me I could mentioned 13 , 14 maybe. But than again I think they are all byproducts of my abscenes of knowledge.

Sorry for english.

25 minutes ago, Mello_ said:

Maya collapse is very and I mean very much explained. No mysteries there at all.

Oh, really please explain then. I asked as I was trained as a Mayanist and as of last week was still unexplained to any great point.

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1