Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

200,000 sign petition over Murdoch influence

Recommended Posts

Eldorado

Most Australians would probably not choose to spend their weekends browsing Parliament’s website.

But a petition calling for a public inquiry into Rupert Murdoch’s media empire in Australia, posted by a former prime minister, generated so much interest over the weekend that it overwhelmed the website’s cyberdefenses and shut down access to the document.

The petition — posted on Friday by former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd — asks the government to establish a Royal Commission, the country’s highest form of inquiry, into the dominance of Australian media by Mr. Murdoch’s News Corp and its impact on the country’s political landscape.

Full report at the NY Times: Link

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
and then
1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

Most Australians would probably not choose to spend their weekends browsing Parliament’s website.

But a petition calling for a public inquiry into Rupert Murdoch’s media empire in Australia, posted by a former prime minister, generated so much interest over the weekend that it overwhelmed the website’s cyberdefenses and shut down access to the document.

The petition — posted on Friday by former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd — asks the government to establish a Royal Commission, the country’s highest form of inquiry, into the dominance of Australian media by Mr. Murdoch’s News Corp and its impact on the country’s political landscape.

Full report at the NY Times: Link

Wait... they want to give Murdoch's media a thorough investigation but not investigate any other media outlets?  Why?

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado
23 minutes ago, and then said:

Wait... they want to give Murdoch's media a thorough investigation but not investigate any other media outlets?  Why?

the dominance of Australian media by Mr. Murdoch’s News Corp?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
1 minute ago, Eldorado said:

the dominance of Australian media by Mr. Murdoch’s News Corp?

How much control does his Corporation really have?  I guess I'm unaware of the landscape there for media.  His venture over here with Fox made him billions but Lachlan and James are quickly turning it into just another Left leaning hack attack.  

Does Oz have very limited choices for broadcast, "legacy" type media?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
Just now, and then said:

How much control does his Corporation really have?  I guess I'm unaware of the landscape there for media.  His venture over here with Fox made him billions but Lachlan and James are quickly turning it into just another Left leaning hack attack.  

Does Oz have very limited choices for broadcast, "legacy" type media?

Oh yeah, I'd been meaning to tell you that my daughter has spent nearly a month on your side of the pond.  The town is called Elgin, I think?  She was stuck in a hotel room for 2 weeks before she could take care of the training of military personnel there but she LOVES SCOTLAND.  I didn't expect her to be so positive about the experience but she can't say enough about how much she likes it there :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado

An online petition by former Australian PM Kevin Rudd calling for an inquiry into Rupert Murdoch's media dominance has got a record number of signatures.

More than 500,000 Australians have signed the petition to parliament since it launched three weeks ago.

News Corp Australia controls 70% of local newspaper circulation. Mr Murdoch has not commented on the petition.

BBC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golden Duck
On 10/16/2020 at 9:36 PM, and then said:

How much control does his Corporation really have?  I guess I'm unaware of the landscape there for media.  His venture over here with Fox made him billions but Lachlan and James are quickly turning it into just another Left leaning hack attack.  

Does Oz have very limited choices for broadcast, "legacy" type media?

Pretty much Murdoch v Packer v ABC.gov was the way it was for a long time.

Kerry Packer was a great performer in front of Senate enquiries.

However, there are already laws in place to limit media ownership.

Kevin-07 should already know this; but then again, noone should be surprised that he comes up with an idea that's easy to ignore.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golden Duck

Malcolm Turnbull gave Paul Kelly a fair old whack on Q&A on Monday night.

Quote

Mr Turnbull attacked News Corp on Monday night for blaming last summer's fires on arson and urged The Australian's editor-at-large Paul Kelly and other employees to speak out against the organisation.

Former Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull got into a heated debate with Paul Kelly, Editor-at-Large at The Australian, over climate change.

"The company you work for and its friends in politics, like Trump and others, have turned this issue of physics into an issue of values or identity," Mr Turnbull said to Kelly. "Saying you believe or disbelieve in global warming is like saying you believe or disbelieve in gravity.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/murdoch-s-news-corp-defends-climate-coverage-in-escalating-turnbull-stoush-20201110-p56dat.html

Quote

A News Corp spokesperson conducted internal research and said that of the 3335 stories published by The Australian, The Daily Telegraph, The Herald Sun, The Courier-Mail and The Advertiser between September 1, 2019 and January 23, 2020, just 3.4 per cent mentioned the words "arson or "arsonists".

"The facts demonstrate starkly the falsity of Mr Turnbull's claim," a News Corp spokesman said.

"In this same period, news.com.au also published more than 300 bushfire stories, of which only 16 mentioned arson, equivalent to 5 per cent," the spokesman said. "Not one of these small number of stories stated the bushfires were 'all the consequence' of arsonists."

A story in The Australian in January during the crisis that drew a link between arson and bushfires was heavily criticised.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado

Rudd and Turnbull will be called to give evidence at Senate inquiry into media diversity

Sarah Hanson-Young secures inquiry after the popularity of Kevin Rudd’s petition for a royal commission into News Corp

Full story at The Guardian: Link

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek

that is a lot of paper for  Murdoch's  to wipe their a$$es,  lifetime supply,  that is where their petition is going,  figuratively speaking 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.