Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atlantis Explained!

Rojack

A brief note of explanation will go along with each quote. Now, when you read or reread Plato’s story, you will better understand it.  The City of Atlantis was extremely complex with lots of history behind it. Some of this history caused confusion. For instance, in the early days of Atlantis, the royal palace was on a hill with three moats around it. Later, they bridged over the moats and  dug three large canals around the palace. This left the palace sitting on a small triangular island which is 0.5 miles across. This is the island of Atlantis. Now, all of those terrain features can be found on Google maps. Let’s correct Plato’s quotes.

We will start with the first and biggest and most important mistake in Plato’s literature. Here is the quote from Plato:

“But afterward there occurred violent earthquakes and floods; and in a single day and night of misfortune all your warlike men in a body sank into the earth, and the island of Atlantis in like manner disappeared in the depths of the sea. For which reason the sea in those parts is impassable and impenetrable, because there is a shoal of mud in the way; and this was caused by the subsidence of the island.” [The term Island should be continent.] [Also, you can see from this quote that the idea that Atlantis sunk is only an assumption, not a fact.][The term sea should ocean.]

“and the surrounding land may be most truly called a boundless continent.”

[This refers to North America and South America together as a single landmass.]

“And Poseidon, receiving for his lot the island of Atlantis, begat children by a mortal woman, and settled them in a part of the island, which I will describe.”

[The term island should be continent.]

“Near the plain again, and also in the centre of the island at a distance of about fifty stadia, there was a mountain not very high on any side. [The term mountain should be hill.]

“and breaking the ground, enclosed the hill in which she dwelt all round, making alternate zones of sea and land larger and smaller, encircling one another; there were two of land and three of water, which he turned as with a lathe, each having its circumference equidistant every way from the centre,” [That quote refers to a time before when the palace sat on a hill with three moats.]

“meanwhile they went on constructing their temples and palaces and harbors and docks. And they arranged the whole country in the following manner:” [The term country should be city.]

“First of all, they bridged over the zones of sea which surrounded the ancient metropolis, making a road to and from the royal palace.” [They bridged over the three moats.]

“And beginning from the sea, they bored a canal of three hundred feet in width and one hundred feet in depth and fifty stadia in length, which they carried through to the outermost zone, making a passage from the sea up to this, which became a harbor, and leaving an opening sufficient to enable the largest vessels to find ingress.” [This first canal, on the right, is where the harbors and docks were located.]

“Now, the largest of the zones into which a passage was cut from the sea was three stadia in breadth, and the zone of land which came next of equal breadth; but the next two zones, the one of water, the other of land, were two stadia, and the one which surrounded the central island was a stadium only in width. The island in which the palace was situated had a diameter of five stadia.” [ The Island of Atlantis: Instead of a circular island with three large moats around it, we have a triangular island with three canals around it.] You can find the island of Atlantis in Tampa Florida. Here is a link to it: https://goo.gl/maps/6tFBEJKYpSe81WUi7

Plato referred to “Atlantis” in several different ways. Now you can understand to terms:

Atlantis as an island

Atlantis as a continent

Atlantis as a small island

Atlantis as an island continent

Atlantis as half of a whole continent

Atlantis as a part of a boundless continent

Atlantis as a city on a plain in the country of Atlantis

In some cases, Plato used the terms “island” and “continent” to mean the same thing.

Plato also gave us the size of the continent of Atlantis by comparing it to a landmass the size of Libya and Asia put together. A continent that size could not have sunk in the Atlantic Ocean. That was an assumption. The landmass itself would be larger than the Ocean. However, the size of North America fits Plato’s description as the size of the Atlantis continent.

We have discussed the birth place of Atlantis, which consist of the city, the island of Atlantis, and the large canals around the island. However the population grew from there.  To the South, it grew to cover the entire Florida Plain. To he north, it grew to cover Georgia, which includes Atlanta. To the West, it grew up to cover the Yucatan Peninsula. When Atlantis was destroyed, Mexico City had grown up to become the Grand City of Atlantis. The Florida Plain was the Great City of Atlantis.

The destruction of Atlantis happened when a A comet broke up in space and the larger fragments landed on earth. Over 500,000 separate fragments hit North America and other areas for two days. They created elliptical depressions when they slammed into the earth. These craters are concentrated along the Atlantic seaboard within the coastal states of Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Florida, and even as far away as Nebraska. In Maryland, they are called Maryland Basins. Fragments also landed in Mexico, the Gulf of Mexico, and in the Atlantic Ocean. Search for Carolina Bays. See a video:

Stone Age comet destroys North America

youtu.be/7VO7l43YMTk

Edited by Rojack
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Are you planning on writing a trilogy or a whole series?

I know it is a bit much, but I did not want drag it out. It seems like some people are tired of Atlantis.

38 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

Oh no! Not NEW Atlantis thread! :ph34r:

Yes, I know that Atlantis should be put to rest for a while. By the way, are there any questions about Atlantis you want answers to?

53 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

Oh no! Not NEW Atlantis thread! :ph34r:

Have we had an Atlantis thread before?

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, acute said:

Not enough it would seem. Even Rupert - who is from Atlantis - rolled his eyes. However, Rojack presented his idea well and seems to be saying it was in Florida.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Plato_s_Atlantis.html?id=J2PHAAAACAAJ

Its been done once at least.

Good luck in finding archaeological evidence of the culture that existed there before Atlantis, evolved into Atlantis and  all it accomplished during its heyday and disappearance. Currently the archaeological evidence = zero.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, acute said:

At least it’s not a thread on the “Lost” Colony, that coevally stupid phringe lunacy. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rojack said:

A brief note of explanation will go along with each quote. Now, when you read or reread Plato’s story, you will better understand it.  The City of Atlantis was extremely complex with lots of history behind it. Some of this history caused confusion. For instance, in the early days of Atlantis, the royal palace was on a hill with three moats around it. Later, they bridged over the moats and  dug three large canals around the palace. This left the palace sitting on a small triangular island which is 0.5 miles across. This is the island of Atlantis. Now, all of those terrain features can be found on Google maps. Let’s correct Plato’s quotes.

So it's atlantis explained again... atlantis is like religion, multiple books from on the same fantasy story with mild differences.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rojack said:

Stone Age comet destroys North America

youtu.be/7VO7l43YMTk

Your "research" (You Tube !) is a bit out of date. The initial presentation of the YD Impact Hypothesis by Goodyear et al generated a great deal of research resulting the the publication of literally dozens of papers. If you utilize the search function you will find that good contributor Carnoferox has been kind enough to compile the related papers.

Bottom line: The YD Impact Hypothesis has not yet been adequately demonstrated to be correct and has not been well accepted.

And. no, there was no "extinction" of the relatively short lived Clovis phenomenon.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Swede said:

Your "research" (You Tube !) is a bit out of date. The initial presentation of the YD Impact Hypothesis by Goodyear et al generated a great deal of research resulting the the publication of literally dozens of papers. If you utilize the search function you will find that good contributor Carnoferox has been kind enough to compile the related papers.

Bottom line: The YD Impact Hypothesis has not yet been adequately demonstrated to be correct and has not been well accepted.

And. no, there was no "extinction" of the relatively short lived Clovis phenomenon.

You are way ahead of me when it come to the YD Impact Hypothesis and the Clovis phenomenon. I wish I could discuss Atlantis using information from that research, but I am not there yet. I’m stuck on trying to match the terrain features Plato wrote about to actual terrain features still around today. The timing of the YD Impact Hypothesis can be helpful to the matching Plato’s timing of Atlantis’s destruction if we can get it to match. I will check out Carnoferox. Thanks.

24 minutes ago, Rojack said:

You are way ahead of me when it come to the YD Impact Hypothesis and the Clovis phenomenon. I wish I could discuss Atlantis using information from that research, but I am not there yet. I’m stuck on trying to match the terrain features Plato wrote about to actual terrain features still around today. The timing of the YD Impact Hypothesis can be helpful to the matching Plato’s timing of Atlantis’s destruction if we can get it to match. I will check out Carnoferox. Thanks.

Hi Rojack

Where I am seeing difficulty in the Americas is the distance and numbers of ships and men to conquer the Med or lack of genetic transfer just to mention a couple and then there is a lack of supporting evidence of other than know genetic groups in the Americas which would have been needed to support the required population of the Atlantian empire.

jmccr8 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

So how exactly does a writer of fiction make “mistakes” in writing his own fiction?

Wouldn’t it be more correct (not to mention more logical) to say Plato wrote exactly what he wanted to and later folk made errors reading what they wanted to in his text?

Because — and I think this needs to be said a lot more than it is — no Atlantidiot is smarter than Plato. 

—Jaylemurph 

3 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

So how exactly does a writer of fiction make “mistakes” in writing his own fiction?

Wouldn’t it be more correct (not to mention more logical) to say Plato wrote exactly what he wanted to and later folk made errors reading what they wanted to in his text?

Because — and I think this needs to be said a lot more than it is — no Atlantidiot is smarter than Plato. 

—Jaylemurph 

It would it be more correct to say Plato wrote exactly what he wanted to if the story wasn’t true. However, when it comes to the story of Atlantis, you have Solon, Critias, Plato, and Jowette the last translator. Any one or all of them could have made mistakes in translating, and telling the story. 

3 minutes ago, Rojack said:

It would it be more correct to say Plato wrote exactly what he wanted to if the story wasn’t true. However, when it comes to the story of Atlantis, you have Solon, Critias, Plato, and Jowette the last translator. Any one or all of them could have made mistakes in translating, and telling the story. 

Actually you DON’T have Solon as there is no textual evidence written BY Solon that any such story of Atlantis ever existed during his lifetime. All you have amounts to hear-say. 

cormac

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Actually you DON’T have Solon as there is no textual evidence written BY Solon that any such story of Atlantis ever existed during his lifetime. All you have amounts to hear-say. 

cormac

Ah,  but it is OLD hear-say and for reasons unfathomable those are better hear-says than modern ones. There is a fancy Greek word for 'believing ancient writing is all sacred and true', but I don't recall it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Rojack said:

Yes but then why is your re-imagining of what you think he meant - valid? I could say that Jules Verne's made 'mistakes' in his story about '80 days' and it was REALLY a story about a Parisian brothel.

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

it was REALLY a story about a Parisian brothel.

Hi Hanslune

Well if it's and 80 day package we should try and line up a tour group.:lol:

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Hanslune

Well if it's and 80 day package we should try and line up a tour group.:lol:

jmccr8

Many years ago a fellow wrote a 'retranslation' of JV French version of, ' Around the world in eighty-days', it was hilarious and three paragraphs it was on usenet and I had a text of it but cannot find it now. It just shows how you can 'retranslate' anything into anything if you believe the writer made 'mistakes'.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Many years ago a fellow wrote a 'retranslation' of JV French version of, ' Around the world in eighty-days', it was hilarious and three paragraphs it was on usenet and I had a text of it but cannot find it now. It just shows how you can 'retranslate' anything into anything if you believe the writer made 'mistakes'.

Hi Hanslune

Understood,

I just watched an English movie with French dub and Russian subtitles, I made my own dialogue in character appropriate voices it was a violent comedy with inappropriate adult comments.:whistle::lol:

jmccr8

16 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Hanslune

Understood,

I just watched an English movie with French dub and Russian subtitles, I made my own dialogue in character appropriate voices it was a violent comedy with inappropriate adult comments.:whistle::lol:

jmccr8

Did you ever see What's up, Tiger Lily (1966) Where Woody Allen took a Japanese film and applied different words to the narrative? Japanese detective movie made into a crazy film about egg salad

...put we appear to be going off topic - but applying different words to a guys story is fraught with comedic outcomes...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hanslune said:

Did you ever see What's up, Tiger Lily (1966) Where Woody Allen took a Japanese film and applied different words to the narrative? Japanese detective movie made into a crazy film about egg salad

...put we appear to be going off topic - but applying different words to a guys story is fraught with comedic outcomes...

Laughing Gif GIF

Couldn't laugh and like at the same time Must be some digital Spock thing where only logic applies and humour is lost in the AI of the internut.:lol:

jmccr8

I'm in Florida and there are a few sites in my area, one pre clovis that's near. 

What specific characteristics are there to look for? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ShadowSot said:

I'm in Florida and there are a few sites in my area, one pre clovis that's near. 

What specific characteristics are there to look for? 

Hi ShadowSot,

To start, all you have to do is look out the window, north, south east or west. All you will see is a flat level plain. Florida itself is the Plain of Atlantis. Here is Plato’s description:

“I will now describe the plain, as it was fashioned by nature and by the labors of many generations of kings through long ages. It was, for the most part, rectangular and oblong, and where falling out of the straight line followed the circular ditch. The depth, and width, and length of this ditch were incredible, and gave the impression that a work of such extent, in addition to so many others, could never have been artificial. Nevertheless, I must say what I was told.”

It was excavated to the depth of a hundred, feet, and its breadth was a stadium everywhere; it was carried round the whole of the plain, and was ten thousand stadia in length. It received the streams which came down from the mountains, and winding round the plain and meeting at the city, was there let off into the sea.

[The ditch is the Indian River, The length, width, and depth match Plato’s measurements. Check the map to see that Florida is, for the most part, rectangular and oblong. The Indian River runs along the coastline all the way to Tampa. [The Mountains are the Appalachian Mountains.The city is Tampa.]

12 hours ago, Rojack said:

Actually, I don’t need any translators at all — though Jowett is a good one. 

But tell me, just how do you know what Solon or Critias “wrote” as nothing of these works exist — or were ever likely to have? Or do you just assume they’d conveniently say exactly what you want them to say?

Actually, don’t answer that. We all know the answer already.

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked