Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atlantis Explained!

Rojack

1 hour ago, jaylemurph said:

Actually, I don’t need any translators at all — though Jowett is a good one. 

But tell me, just how do you know what Solon or Critias “wrote” as nothing of these works exist — or were ever likely to have? Or do you just assume they’d conveniently say exactly what you want them to say?

Actually, don’t answer that. We all know the answer already.

—Jaylemurph 

I know that Solon, Critias, Plato, and Jowette told the same story because of the descriptions and information they used to describe some of the terrain features we  can still see today. The actual terrain features exist. For instance, Plato wrote about a hill with three moats around it. There are also two springs in the area. The we can find the hill, the two fountains, and part of a large moat that is still in place today. They also told about an island with three large canals around it. Here is a map link to where you can see those terrain features:

https://goo.gl/maps/1Vhydwx68EkUdgcF9

Zoom out to see the island and canals.

Rojack, what language did the Atlantians use, according to you? It was Plato himself who suggested, by his writings, what language of at least a part of the Atlantians used.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rojack said:

I know that Solon, Critias, Plato, and Jowette told the same story because of the descriptions and information they used to describe some of the terrain features we  can still see today. The actual terrain features exist. For instance, Plato wrote about a hill with three moats around it. There are also two springs in the area. The we can find the hill, the two fountains, and part of a large moat that is still in place today. They also told about an island with three large canals around it. Here is a map link to where you can see those terrain features:

You “know” no such thing since there are no extant texts by Solon, which means nobody knows what he did or didn’t say on the subject of Atlantis. 

cormac

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

You “know” no such thing since there are no extant texts by Solon, which means nobody knows what he did or didn’t say on the subject of Atlantis. 

I thought he made a whole film recently - Solon, A Star Wars Story.  I haven't seen it but I'll bet my Linear A dictionary it's all about Atlantis.

• Haha 5

16 hours ago, Rojack said:

You are way ahead of me when it come to the YD Impact Hypothesis and the Clovis phenomenon. I wish I could discuss Atlantis using information from that research, but I am not there yet. I’m stuck on trying to match the terrain features Plato wrote about to actual terrain features still around today. The timing of the YD Impact Hypothesis can be helpful to the matching Plato’s timing of Atlantis’s destruction if we can get it to match. I will check out Carnoferox. Thanks.

1) Agreed.

2) First, you will wish to establish your critical time-point for the destruction of Atlantis. Be specific. Second, you will need to provide us with specific interpretations of the stadion distance from your apparent focal point of Tampa, FL, USA, and the "island" coastline and convert that figure to miles/kilometers. Note that the definition of the length of a stadion is not consistent. Be prepared to support your utilized definition.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ShadowSot said:

I'm in Florida and there are a few sites in my area, one pre clovis that's near. 

What specific characteristics are there to look for? 

Would suggest starting with the lithic technology, both reduction strategies and projectile points.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trelane said:

I'm still waiting on the explanation for no archaeological evidence to support this lunacy.

Would humbly suggest that you may have a very long wait (!).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

Actually, I don’t need any translators at all — though Jowett is a good one. 

But tell me, just how do you know what Solon or Critias “wrote” as nothing of these works exist — or were ever likely to have? Or do you just assume they’d conveniently say exactly what you want them to say?

Actually, don’t answer that. We all know the answer already.

—Jaylemurph 

I know that Solon, Critias, Plato, and Jowette told the same story because of the descriptions and information they used to describe some of the terrain features we  can still see today. The actual terrain features exist. For instance, Plato wrote about a hill with three moats around it. There are also two springs in the area. The we can find the hill, the two fountains, and part of a large moat that is still in place today. They also told about an island with three large canals around it. Here is a map link where you see those terrain features:

11 minutes ago, Rojack said:

I know that Solon, Critias, Plato, and Jowette told the same story because of the descriptions and information they used to describe some of the terrain features we  can still see today. The actual terrain features exist. For instance, Plato wrote about a hill with three moats around it. There are also two springs in the area. The we can find the hill, the two fountains, and part of a large moat that is still in place today. They also told about an island with three large canals around it. Here is a map link where you see those terrain features:

Why would I waste my time? As pointed out, you seem not to understand the difference between “believe” and “know” — kind of a death-blow to your credibility. 

I’ll use my time far better reading Mary Beard’s book on Roman religions. She knows how to create and support worthwhile arguments. 

EDIT: You may also want to learn how to correctly spell Jowett’s name, if not to give the vague you know what you’re talking about, then because his descendent regularly posts here and is — at a guess — not best pleased with you trying to attach his name to your, uhhh... “theories.”

—Jaylemurph 

Edited by jaylemurph
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Trelane said:

I'm still waiting on the explanation for no archaeological evidence to support this lunacy.

Ah, yes the bothersome adult blue whale in the eight liter Atlantean believer's aquarium.

Always seen, always stepped over and ignored.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Swede said:

Would suggest starting with the lithic technology, both reduction strategies and projectile points.

I live in the panhandle for two years and collected a number of points there. Oddly, nothing that cannot be associated with Chatot, some Apachee, one Timucuan(maybe) broken, Muskogee? and Choctaw - not a bronze Atlantean one to be found..

6 hours ago, Rojack said:

Hi ShadowSot,

To start, all you have to do is look out the window, north, south east or west. All you will see is a flat level plain. Florida itself is the Plain of Atlantis. Here is Plato’s description:

“I will now describe the plain, as it was fashioned by nature and by the labors of many generations of kings through long ages. It was, for the most part, rectangular and oblong, and where falling out of the straight line followed the circular ditch. The depth, and width, and length of this ditch were incredible, and gave the impression that a work of such extent, in addition to so many others, could never have been artificial. Nevertheless, I must say what I was told.”

It was excavated to the depth of a hundred, feet, and its breadth was a stadium everywhere; it was carried round the whole of the plain, and was ten thousand stadia in length. It received the streams which came down from the mountains, and winding round the plain and meeting at the city, was there let off into the sea.

[The ditch is the Indian River, The length, width, and depth match Plato’s measurements. Check the map to see that Florida is, for the most part, rectangular and oblong. The Indian River runs along the coastline all the way to Tampa. [The Mountains are the Appalachian Mountains.The city is Tampa.]

Why are you using Tampa as your go to location? The earliest inhabits toom wouldn't have been a city by Greek standards. 

There have been numerous sites proposed to be Atlantis, aside from your preferences what actual evidence marks these areas. 

Especially since you quoted a section stating these features as partially man made, no archeological evidence of this. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Rojack said:

I know that Solon, Critias, Plato, and Jowette told the same story because of the descriptions and information they used...

A quick scan on Wikipedia lists over one hundred authors who have translated Iliad into English.  I'll bet most of these told the story of Helen's mum Leda being raped by a swan (well, Zeus in disguise) but that doesn't prove it happened that way.  For all we know it was Leda who raped the swan.

• Like 2

So let me get this straight - Plato was wrong because the people he quoted in his stories while not leaving any details actually said other things that mean Atlantis is really America.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Rojack, what language did the Atlantians use, according to you? It was Plato himself who suggested, by his writings, what language of at least a part of the Atlantians used.

" And he named them all; the eldest, who was the first king, he named Atlas, and after him the whole island and the ocean were called Atlantic. To his twin brother, who was born after him, and obtained as his lot the extremity of the island towards the Pillars of Heracles, facing the country which is now called the region of Gades in that part of the world, he gave the name which in the Hellenic language is Eumelus, in the language of the country which is named after him, Gadeirus. "

@Rojack If you dont have any evidence that Plato didn't mean what he said your story falls apart. So please tell me what evidence you have to say that Plato's Atlantis existed, but Plato's story was wrong ?

I'm not interested in stories about where Atlantis can be found, we have hundreds of those, I am interested in why you think your particular interpretation of the story is the right one.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 5:09 PM, Hanslune said:

I live in the panhandle for two years and collected a number of points there. Oddly, nothing that cannot be associated with Chatot, some Apachee, one Timucuan(maybe) broken, Muskogee? and Choctaw - not a bronze Atlantean one to be found..

Chuckle! Yes, an admitted "oddity". How surprising (!).

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 8:23 AM, Trelane said:

You seem to want me to provide enough  archaeological material to prove my theory. That is not going to happen. This is only a theory up for discussion.

11 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

@Rojack If you dont have any evidence that Plato didn't mean what he said your story falls apart. So please tell me what evidence you have to say that Plato's Atlantis existed, but Plato's story was wrong ?

I'm not interested in stories about where Atlantis can be found, we have hundreds of those, I am interested in why you think your particular interpretation of the story is the right one.

I have the hill that held the royal castle and the small island of Atlantis with three large canals around it. You see, Plato called the continent of Atlantis an island. There are two islands in the city. One is the island of Atlantis.

3 minutes ago, Rojack said:

I have the hill that held the royal castle and the small island of Atlantis with three large canals around it. You see, Plato called the continent of Atlantis an island. There are two islands in the city. One is the island of Atlantis.

Like I said I don't care about what you think you found, I'm interested in why you think the original story is wrong.

Please remember that Plato's story is the only description we have of Atlantis, so how do you justify changing the story to suit your idea ? 

35 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Like I said I don't care about what you think you found, I'm interested in why you think the original story is wrong.

Please remember that Plato's story is the only description we have of Atlantis, so how do you justify changing the story to suit your idea ? 

I believe the appropriate Greek term is hubris. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1

Just now, jaylemurph said:

I believe the appropriate Greek term is hubris. 

—Jaylemurph 

I'm probably never going to get an answer to my question am I ?  

1 hour ago, Rojack said:

Florida was NEVER in front of the Straits of Gibraltar/Pillars of Hercules within human history. Your speculation is DOA just on that alone. 

cormac

1 hour ago, Swede said:

Chuckle! Yes, an admitted "oddity". How surprising (!).

No Atlantiean pottery either, or glass, no ostracons, no bricks, no burials, no mines or quarries from ancient times, no middens, and what is really weird stuff from native Americans showing up going back to 14,550 years old at the Page-Ladson Archaeological Site.

• Like 1

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked