Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atlantis Explained!

Rojack

1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Like I said I don't care about what you think you found, I'm interested in why you think the original story is wrong.

Please remember that Plato's story is the only description we have of Atlantis, so how do you justify changing the story to suit your idea ? 

Why do you think the original story is correct?

3 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Florida was NEVER in front of the Straits of Gibraltar/Pillars of Hercules within human history. Your speculation is DOA just on that alone. 

cormac

There you go using rationality again. If you look at Florida and extend a line from it eastward it intersects Morocco which has the Atlas mountains and, er, ah, isn't that close enough! I mean that's just a short 7,000 kilometers away...close?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rojack said:

Why do you think Jules Verne's 'around the world in eight days is correct'?

Just now, Rojack said:

I think the original story was an allegory and not the description of a real place. It's you who think that the story is portraying a real place and yet you change the story to fit your idea.

What makes you think it was wrong ?

Please give me an actual answer this time !

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I think the original story was an allegory and not the description of a real place. It's you who think that the story is portraying a real place and yet you change the story to fit your idea.

Ah,  a real indicator of it not being true is the inclusion of the Greek Gods in the story. In the writers times they were deemed 'real', not so today.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Ah,  a real indicator of it not being true is the inclusion of the Greek Gods in the story. In the writers times they were deemed 'real', not so today.

Infidel. May the mighty Zeus strike you down in his anger and furious vengence. :angry:

On a more serious note it is amazing that all the Atlantis believers allways ignore that part of the story.

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Infidel. May the mighty Zeus strike you down in his anger and furious vengence. :angry:

On a more serious note it is amazing that all the Atlantis believers allways ignore that part of the story.

Yes they do with great fervent fear and caginess. Without the Gods in it Atlantis doesn't exist.

Atalante how do you deal with the non-existence Greek Gods in your Atlantis ideas?

19 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I think the story is probably incorrect because it seems to have gone through a few translations. The three translations I read about all told a slightly different story. Also, Critias had to recall the story from memory according to Plato. 

1 minute ago, Rojack said:

I think the story is probably incorrect because it seems to have gone through a few translations. The three translations I read about all told a slightly different story. Also, Critias had to recall the story from memory according to Plato. 

May I suggest

List what Plato says then below it what you think is wrong with it and what you believe it should say.

Most theorist don't like the age, location, etc, etc of Atlantis...

4 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

May I suggest

List what Plato says then below it what you think is wrong with it and what you believe it should say.

Most theorist don't like the age, location, etc, etc of Atlantis...

Okay, I can do that.

38 minutes ago, Rojack said:

Plato wrote the conversation between Critias and others. Critias himself remains mute on the subject which means there’s no way to know “what” Critias may have said or believed. You put far too much acceptance into Plato’s alleged conversation between Critias and others, none of which is evidenced as having actually occurred. 

cormac

5 hours ago, Rojack said:

That's like arguing that Hogwarts Castle is really a small, run-down, tower block in Hackney, because Rowling got the story wrong ;)  

• Haha 3

Since there is no other ancient reference to Atlantis beyond Plato, I've long believed it was nothing more than a rhetorical device he used.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

19 minutes ago, Rojack said:

Plato wrote that Critias said that, but the question remains “how do YOU know what Critias said or thought considering the total absence of anything written by him on Atlantis”?

cormac

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Plato wrote that Critias said that, but the question remains “how do YOU know what Critias said or thought considering the total absence of anything written by him on Atlantis”?

cormac

I don't have an answer for your question.

37 minutes ago, Rojack said:

So why didn't you just say that to begin with ?

35 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

So why didn't you just say that to begin with ?

I thought that answer was pretty good until you shot it down. What if I post the quotes online and explain what I would change or disagree with about them. Will that be okay? You can agree, disagree, or write your own explanation regarding the quotes. That way, I don't have to pretend to be a  mindreader.

9 minutes ago, Rojack said:

I thought that answer was pretty good until you shot it down. What if I post the quotes online and explain what I would change or disagree with about them. Will that be okay? You can agree, disagree, or write your own explanation regarding the quotes. That way, I don't have to pretend to be a  mindreader.

That will not work. Plato is the primary and only source of the allegory. To attempt to alter them becomes a fabrication, likely designed to support a preconceived "interpretation".

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rojack said:

Which suggests that you believe everything you read regardless of its accuracy or lack thereof. 

cormac

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hanslune said:

No Atlantiean pottery either, or glass, no ostracons, no bricks, no burials, no mines or quarries from ancient times, no middens, and what is really weird stuff from native Americans showing up going back to 14,550 years old at the Page-Ladson Archaeological Site.

Not to mention the distinct lack of orichalcum in the Florida archaeological record (!).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rojack said:

Will that be okay? 

Do what you like, at this point I don't really care anymore as its clear you're just trying to turn it into yet another semantics discussion. :sleepy:

10 minutes ago, Swede said:

That will not work. Plato is the primary and only source of the allegory. To attempt to alter them becomes a fabrication, likely designed to support a preconceived "interpretation".

That sums up all of the many "theories" about Atlantis. :tu:

• Like 2

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked