Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atlantis Explained!

Rojack

6 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

People in the past were also looking for Atlantis and even made map on where they thought it might be. Of course the Atlantis' above aren't sunk and there is a remarkably thorough lack of evidence of a 'Greek style' country and city on those lands.

Well 10,000 years ago there were no Greeks in Greece. It’s easier to suggest the time frame for Atlantis is wrong. A literal and most basic translation would suggest anything west of Gibraltar is a possibility. Even underneath the Florida Orlando CostCo

Edited by Unusual Tournament

27 minutes ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Well 10,000 years ago there were no Greeks in Greece. It’s easier to suggest the time frame for Atlantis is wrong. A literal and most basic translation would suggest anything west of Gibraltar is a possibility. Even underneath the Florida Orlando CostCo

Plato in writing it circa 360 BC used Greek terms for their society to include specific inventions of the age he lived in like triremes.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Actually no it wouldn’t. Plato says it faced Gades, Spain and was sufficiently close that upon Atlantis’ subsidence it caused exit from/entrance to the Mediterranean to come to a complete halt. Nothing about the Americas could have caused such within the last 2.8 million years of human existence. 

cormac

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Plato in writing it circa 360 BC used Greek terms for their society to include specific inventions of the age he lived in like triremes.

That’s no proof the Greeks were around. He used language, words and terms he understood 

42 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Actually no it wouldn’t. Plato says it faced Gades, Spain and was sufficiently close that upon Atlantis’ subsidence it caused exit from/entrance to the Mediterranean to come to a complete halt. Nothing about the Americas could have caused such within the last 2.8 million years of human existence. 

cormac

Chinese whispers is a great game. Imagine the statement ‘brown ants move sideways’ whispered for 9700 years 

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Chinese whispers is a great game. Imagine the statement ‘brown ants move sideways’ whispered for 9700 years 

It doesn’t even qualify as Chinese whispers. Half of nothing is still nothing. 

cormac

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Unusual Tournament said:

image.thumb.jpeg.e70e31da06dd2a3daecb5b35b336aa1a.jpeg

Pointless as American maps of the 1500s don’t even suggest that. 

cormac

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

It doesn’t even qualify as Chinese whispers. Half of nothing is still nothing. 

cormac

My point exactly!

7 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

That’s no proof the Greeks were around. He used language, words and terms he understood 

Certainly no Greeks were around yet he said they were, well the Athenians and also the Egyptians, which wasn't true. Its one of the key 'facts' that demonstrate the whole story is bonkers.In it Athens defeats Atlantis.It was a fictional story so he is allowed his imagination to flow.

Let me begin by observing first of all, that nine thousand was the sum of years which had elapsed since the war which was said to have taken place between those who dwelt outside the pillars of Heracles and all who dwelt within them; this war I am going to describe. Of the combatants on the one side, the city of Athens was reported to have been the leader and to have fought out the war; the combatants on the other side were commanded by the kings of Atlantis,

The progress of the history will unfold the various nations of barbarians and families of Hellenes which then existed, as they successively appear on the scene; but I must describe first of all the Athenians of that day, and their enemies who fought with them, and then the respective powers and governments of the two kingdoms. Let us give the precedence to Athens.

https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/1571/pg1571-images.html

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

As many on this site are aware of my 18 month sabbatical, searching for the lost city of Atlantis. I came across these maps. 17th and 18th century acclaimed European cartographers of the time show ATLANTIS located as present day North and South America

I think @Rojack is onto something.

image.thumb.jpeg.ad8cceef15164cefc1257c334e54640e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cdea67051c21872e345c230d17c4bf9a.jpeg

So what's the source of these maps?  is it some reliable site or was it ganked from MidJourney or another AI?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Your map is a fake.

HERE IS THE REAL MAP BY SANSON dated 1650

Sanson_Amerique_Septentrionale_1650_UTA.jpg

Notice all the names and the details.  He did NOT have a massive stroke and forget all the names and other features that he'd drawn before. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Isn't that map based on Francis Bacon's novel "New Atlantis"?

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

So this is what Atlantis looked like:

a641a15248a0fd328b0d27a8aec9b33e-cc_ft_576.jpg

Spruce Creek, Tampa.

Plato wrote that there was an island surrounded by canals. This looks like a pond surrounded by land. Thats not really the same is it ?

That "pond" appears to be disturbingly similar to a sinkhole. Sinkholes are hardly uncommon in Florida, given its karst geology. If the body of water has actually accumulated in a sinkhole, and one observes the proximity of the adjoining expensive structures...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kenemet said:

Your map is a fake.

Notice all the names and the details.  He did NOT have a massive stroke and forget all the names and other features that he'd drawn before. 

I believe everything in red once belonged to Atlantis. According to Plato, Atlantis also owned surrounding islands and much much of Europe.

• Haha 2

On 6/5/2023 at 11:14 AM, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

So this is what Atlantis looked like:

a641a15248a0fd328b0d27a8aec9b33e-cc_ft_576.jpg

Spruce Creek, Tampa.

Plato wrote that there was an island surrounded by canals. This looks like a pond surrounded by land. Thats not really the same is it ?

Check this place in Tampa. You will get a better idea of what the royal city lookalike.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Why are you suggesting that who ever made these maps knew where Atlantis was instead of just speculating? What about other maps that show it elsewhere?

1280px-Atlantis_Kircher_Mundus_subterran

old-map-of-atlantis-print-800x800.jpg

Early 20th century

james-churchwards-map-showing-how-he-tho

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kenemet said:

Your map is a fake.

Ah, that explains that then a fake with Atlantis added to it

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rojack said:

I believe everything in red once belonged to Atlantis. According to Plato, Atlantis also owned surrounding islands and much much of Europe.

Rojack while your beliefs are nice what we really need is EVIDENCE. If the "Atlantians" were there in that red area and we can find Native American artifacts in the area but absolutely nothing from 'Atlantis' - what does that tell you?

• Like 2

I personally think this thread has wasted enough space. Over a hundred pages of nothing with the OP providing nothing beyond his initial flawed idea.

I motion for the thread to be closed.

• Like 5

Just now, Trelane said:

I personally think this thread has wasted enough space. Over a hundred pages of nothing with the OP providing nothing beyond his initial flawed idea.

I motion for the thread to be closed.

Its going nowhere and appears to be headed into an infinite loop. Probably just easier to say BYE.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why are you suggesting that who ever made these maps knew where Atlantis was instead of just speculating? What about other maps that show it elsewhere?

The other maps don't fit Plato's descreption.

6 minutes ago, Rojack said:

Why are you suggesting that who ever made these maps knew where Atlantis was instead of just speculating? What about other maps that show it elsewhere?

The other maps don't fit Plato's descreption.

They’re in good company since your interpretation DOESN’T fit Plato’s description either. 

cormac

• Like 3

• The topic was locked