Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atlantis Explained!

Rojack

On 10/28/2020 at 4:18 AM, Rojack said:

Here is the evidence, on a  map. Take a few minutes and read Plato’s description of the city of Atlantis. The small triangular island was the island of Atlantis. The hill that held the castle and was surrounded by three moats is in the top right corner of the small island. They bridged over the three moats, but you can still see part of one of the moats. Next, look for the circular ditch that surrounded the Plain by searching for the Indian River. Naturally, Florida was the Plain of Atlantis.

https://goo.gl/maps/hKiWgZh35Kkr3tFK9

Middle earth and Mordor are described in far more detail in their books, please point them out on a map.  

• Like 3

Atlantis is a fantastic story written by Plato. However, some people see it as a myth and others believe it is a true story. I believe it is a true story. You believe it is a myth.  If everyone believed it was myth, we would not be having this discussion. Do you have any physical evidence that proves Atlantis is anything other than a myth? If we don’t have proof, we can only discuss what we believe.

14 minutes ago, Rojack said:

Atlantis is a fantastic story written by Plato. However, some people see it as a myth and others believe it is a true story. I believe it is a true story. You believe it is a myth.  If everyone believed it was myth, we would not be having this discussion. Do you have any physical evidence that proves Atlantis is anything other than a myth? If we don’t have proof, we can only discuss what we believe.

Er, how can anybody have physical evidence to prove that something does not exist ? I presume that you are aware that you cannot prove a negative, and the onus is on those who say something exists to provide proof of their claims.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Rojack said:

. Do you have any physical evidence that proves Atlantis is anything other than a myth? If we don’t have proof, we can only discuss what we believe.

I have physical evidence that Atlantis was not Tampa Bay in Florida.    As do you.   And everyone who lives there (unless they are all mermaids?)  ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rojack said:

Ah, you could solve the mystery by simply going to Florida and finding the archaeological evidence, however people, stone tool collectors and those who were interested in archaeology have been going over Florida for two centuries, to date, no sign of large scale excavations, mines, construction, metallurgy, elephants, moats, buildings, burial (of people who were not part of the easily ID native Americans). Etc., etc., and no matter how much you try to change the subject that is the main issue.

So why is there no physical evidence for this place? THAT fact is the Sicily sized-unanswered-question-elephant in the room letting you know your idea has a massive evidentiary problem.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wepwawet said:

Er, how can anybody have physical evidence to prove that something does not exist ? I presume that you are aware that you cannot prove a negative, and the onus is on those who say something exists to provide proof of their claims.

Rupert has a sack of invisible coprolites from archaic unicorns.  They are both invisible and evidence that they exist but also that they don't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Rojack, I'll try again. How is it that your proposed site of Atlantis has zero archaeological evidence to support your claim? Such an advanced and magnificent civilization surely would've left some trace.

• Like 3

If there is an expedition to Florida to find Atlantis, then sign me up. I'll admit I have an ulterior motive as I want to get to North Fort Myers to see in person the E15 drama. It's a Bald Eagle thing, but more interesting than fiction.

• Like 1

The idea that Tampa, FL is Atlantis is one of the least believable threads ever created here.

Plato doesn't mention bath salts at all. Or use the term "Florida man" once.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Trelane said:

@Rojack, I'll try again. How is it that your proposed site of Atlantis has zero archaeological evidence to support your claim? Such an advanced and magnificent civilization surely would've left some trace.

The killer question that has doomed all the other Atlantis site discoveries, hundreds of them, all over the world.

The fact that civilizations leave massive archaeological footprints has killed more 'great' fringe ideas about lost civilizations than flies at a mixed manure and Snap N Trap electrical fly roaster convention.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

The idea that Tampa, FL is Atlantis is one of the least believable threads ever created here.

Plato doesn't mention bath salts at all. Or use the term "Florida man" once.

--Jaylemurph

.....well actually he did but due to an unfortunate aspect of the Attic/Ionic dialect version that Plato wrote in is that the phrase 'Florida man' is spelled exactly like 'and' in Greek.

1 hour ago, jaylemurph said:

Well if there is a pyramid in Las Vegas, why not Atlantis in Tampa as well? :P

great_pyramid_las_vegas.jpg

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Rojack said:

I'll tell you what I believe.

Plato used ancient myths and historic events to fabricate an allegory.

Edited by Abramelin

2 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Ah, you could solve the mystery by simply going to Florida and finding the archaeological evidence, however people, stone tool collectors and those who were interested in archaeology have been going over Florida for two centuries, to date, no sign of large scale excavations, mines, construction, metallurgy, elephants, moats, buildings, burial (of people who were not part of the easily ID native Americans). Etc., etc., and no matter how much you try to change the subject that is the main issue.

So why is there no physical evidence for this place? THAT fact is the Sicily sized-unanswered-question-elephant in the room letting you know your idea has a massive evidentiary problem.

Plato said that three moats surrounded the royal palace and there were two springs in the are. If I show you the two springs would you consider that as evidence?

1 minute ago, Rojack said:

Plato said that three moats surrounded the royal palace and there were two springs in the are. If I show you the two springs would you consider that as evidence?

Where's the palace. There are a lot of places with three moats abd a vaguely similar landscape; the sheer number of Atlantis threads on this forum attests to this. 

Rojack, man, admit you lost this battle.

Nothing what you posted sounds credible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

Where's the palace. There are a lot of places with three moats abd a vaguely similar landscape; the sheer number of Atlantis threads on this forum attests to this. 

5 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

The palace was washed away. However, the springs are still there. I know its not going to prove my point. I just want to know if you will consider the fountains as evidence.

16 hours ago, Rojack said:

I believe that North America was the continent of Atlantis. The continent was divided into ten countries. One of the countries was called Atlantis. One of the cities was also called Atlantis. Florida was in the City of Atlantis. Now, the lost city of Atlantis is called Tampa. Look back at the map and find Tampa. Zoom in and you will see a small triangular island with three large canals around it. That island is the Island of Atlantis. It is one half across. All the canals in Florida were 100 feet deep.

1) Plato describes Atlantis as an island the size of two "continents" of the time period. Why is North America not a sunken, muddy shoal?

2) You have yet to address the matters posed in #31. To repeat:

First, you will wish to establish your critical time-point for the destruction of Atlantis. Be specific. Second, you will need to provide us with specific interpretations of the stadion distance from your apparent focal point of Tampa, FL, USA, and the "island" coastline and convert that figure to miles/kilometers. Note that the definition of the length of a stadion is not consistent. Be prepared to support your utilized definition (#31).

3) In regards to springs, the substrate of Florida is composed of marine limestone which has a karst topography. Such geological attributes result in frequent caves, springs, and sinkholes:

image.png.6a8d7adcb8a1183f34e4d0d6021194c6.png

http://www.floridacaving.com/karst-map-of-florida/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geology_of_Florida

Your speculations cannot be supported on any level.

Edit: Punctuation.

Edited by Swede
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Rojack said:

Found 'em!

Homer Simpson Pain GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

5 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Ah, you could solve the mystery by simply going to Florida and finding the archaeological evidence,

You could prove beyond any doubt whatsoever that it was not Florida by going there and seeing if Florida has been beneath the ocean for the past 10,000 years :D 

Edit: if Florida exists than it proves Florida was not Atlantis.  QED.

Edited by Essan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Swede said:

2) You have yet to address the matters posed in #31. To repeat:

First, you will wish to establish your critical time-point for the destruction of Atlantis. Be specific. Second, you will need to provide us with specific interpretations of the stadion distance from your apparent focal point of Tampa, FL, USA, and the "island" coastline and convert that figure to miles/kilometers. Note that the definition of the length of a stadion is not consistent. Be prepared to support your utilized definition (#31).

Your speculations cannot be supported on any level.

Edit: Punctuation.

I will provide you with that information as I come across it.

And the elephant in the room is ....... elephants :P    Never been any elephants in Florida.   Without elephants you can have no Atlantis.

• Like 4

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked