Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atlantis Explained!

Rojack

On 2/17/2023 at 3:17 AM, Rojack said:

Plato’s Story

North America was the continent of Atlantis, Florida was the giant plain of Atlantis, and Tampa Florida was the first City of Atlantis. North America and South America made up the boundless continent Plato wrote about. According to him, the continent of Atlantis was divided into ten kingdoms or countries. The country of Atlantis was one of those ten kingdoms. From that point of view, all of Plato’s terrain features can be accounted for and verified. That includes the hill that held the royal palace which had three moats around it. Because of errors in Plato’s work, researchers assumed that the island of Atlantis was circular. That was a huge mistake. The moats were circular but the island is triangular! This article takes you to the small triangular island of Atlantis which is  still surrounded by three large canals.

Plato’s Story: http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/critias.html

…so North America went to war with Athens and lost ?

1 hour ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Apparently….

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

What does it take to get you to believe that Atlantis is a true story? Following is my brief interpolation:

North America was the continent of Atlantis, Florida was the giant plain of Atlantis, and Tampa Florida was the first City of Atlantis. North America and South America made up the boundless continent Plato wrote about. According to him, the continent of Atlantis was divided into ten kingdoms or countries. The country of Atlantis was one of those ten kingdoms. From that point of view, all of Plato’s terrain features can be accounted for and verified. That includes the hill that held the royal palace which had three moats around it. Because of errors in Plato’s work, researchers assumed that the island of Atlantis was circular. That was a huge mistake. The moats were circular but the island is triangular! This article takes you to the small triangular island of Atlantis which is  still surrounded by three large canals.

1 minute ago, Rojack said:

What does it take to get you to believe that Atlantis is a true story? Following is my brief interpolation:

North America was the continent of Atlantis, Florida was the giant plain of Atlantis, and Tampa Florida was the first City of Atlantis. North America and South America made up the boundless continent Plato wrote about. According to him, the continent of Atlantis was divided into ten kingdoms or countries. The country of Atlantis was one of those ten kingdoms. From that point of view, all of Plato’s terrain features can be accounted for and verified. That includes the hill that held the royal palace which had three moats around it. Because of errors in Plato’s work, researchers assumed that the island of Atlantis was circular. That was a huge mistake. The moats were circular but the island is triangular! This article takes you to the small triangular island of Atlantis which is  still surrounded by three large canals.

And again, repeating your fabrication doesn’t make it true and uour location has NOTHING to do with what Plato said. 

cormac

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 11:17 AM, Rojack said:

North America was the continent of Atlantis, Florida was the giant plain of Atlantis, and Tampa Florida was the first City of Atlantis

I have never even read Plato's writings about Atlantis.  That's how much I just don't care.  But that is irrelevant.

Plato was either writing  fiction or he was not.  If he was writing fiction, it's a moot point.  But if we are supposing that he was writing non-fiction, then one glaring mistake stands out in your assessment.  North America is across the ocean from where Plato was writing.  

The other thing is, we know where the populations of the Americas came from.  There is not one shred of evidence of any civilization inhabiting this Continent until they did.  And when they did, we know pretty much what those civilizations were originally and then became later.

There was no such civilization as Atlantis that was destroyed without a trace.  Kind of like Big Foot.  In order for BF to exist, there would have to be physical evidence of it's being here.  And every civilization that has ever occupied space on Planet Earth has also left a foot print.  It there is a civilization that left no footprint, then it is a Mythical Civilization...because in the real world, things happen, and things happen for a reason.   

There was no Atlantis...there certainly wasn't a civilization on the North American continent that we don't know about.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, joc said:

I have never even read Plato's writings about Atlantis.  That's how much I just don't care.  But that is irrelevant.

Plato was either writing  fiction or he was not.  If he was writing fiction, it's a moot point.  But if we are supposing that he was writing non-fiction, then one glaring mistake stands out in your assessment.  North America is across the ocean from where Plato was writing.  

The other thing is, we know where the populations of the Americas came from.  There is not one shred of evidence of any civilization inhabiting this Continent until they did.  And when they did, we know pretty much what those civilizations were originally and then became later.

There was no such civilization as Atlantis that was destroyed without a trace.  Kind of like Big Foot.  In order for BF to exist, there would have to be physical evidence of it's being here.  And every civilization that has ever occupied space on Planet Earth has also left a foot print.  It there is a civilization that left no footprint, then it is a Mythical Civilization...because in the real world, things happen, and things happen for a reason.   

There was no Atlantis...there certainly wasn't a civilization on the North American continent that we don't know about.  

You should read them.

http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/timaeus.html

http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/critias.html

Changed my freaking life.

23 minutes ago, The Puzzler said:

From your second link:

To his twin brother, who was born after him, and obtained as his lot the extremity of the island towards the Pillars of Heracles, facing the country which is now called the region of Gades in that part of the world, he gave the name which in the Hellenic language is Eumelus, in the language of the country which is named after him, Gadeirus.

I wonder how Rojack explains that part.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

From your second link:

To his twin brother, who was born after him, and obtained as his lot the extremity of the island towards the Pillars of Heracles, facing the country which is now called the region of Gades in that part of the world, he gave the name which in the Hellenic language is Eumelus, in the language of the country which is named after him, Gadeirus.

I’m waiting with baited breath for it. But that’s really an easy one, the Americas is like, outside the Pillars of Heracles….

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Puzzler said:

I’m waiting with baited breath for it. But that’s really an easy one, the Americas is like, outside the Pillars of Heracles….

But not facing it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

But not facing it.

It could be interpreted as such imo. like Americas here —-> Gadeiros there <—-  not that I’m for this scenario but Rojack would jump on that opportunity, if Rojack was me….

22 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

From your second link:

I wonder how mankind explains any part.

9 minutes ago, The Puzzler said:

I wonder how mankind explains any part.

Well, this particular part could be explained like this: Plato used the Phoenicians and their Gadeiros (later called Gades by the Romans, based on the Carthaginian nickname for the place, "Qadesh", Holy) for part of his story.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Well, this particular part could be explained like this: Plato used the Phoenicians and their Gadeiros (later called Gades by the Romans, based on the Carthaginian nickname for the place, "Qadesh", Holy) for part of his story.

True but then that limits the story to no earlier than circa 1200 BC, eliminating 8400 years of alleged time having passed. 

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

True but then that limits the story to no earlier than circa 1200 BC, eliminating 8400 years of alleged time having passed. 

cormac

That's why I said, "for part of his story".

Plato must have used several sources to create his story. Add one extra zero to the number of years past, and voila.

28 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

cormac

The word is old, gates. Pre-Pheonician. 
in Basque the word is catena…C/.GaTE na. Romance language, maybe but I doubt it. 
why am II seeing Carthage in this word?

Melqat? Lord of the city. Qat is city. I’d love to go the Qatar one day, watch the racing.

C0EB7662-E1D7-4BA1-AA42-12C9C7C15944.jpeg

Edited by The Puzzler
Editing

7 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

That's why I said, "for part of his story".

Plato must have used several sources to create his story. Add one extra zero to the number of years past, and voila.

Plato knew exactly what he said. No extra zeroes needed.

Edited by The Puzzler

8 minutes ago, The Puzzler said:

Plato knew exactly what he said. No extra zeroes needed.

How do yòu know?

We still have to find the Egyptian original ìf it existed at all.

1 hour ago, The Puzzler said:

I'll put it on my list of things to do then.  

Meanwhile:  this has probably been covered but I just saw this YOUTUBE Short yesterday about Atlantis being at the Eye of the Sahara...Mauritania...the Richat structure.  BS or worth watching?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, joc said:

I'll put it on my list of things to do then.  

Meanwhile:  this has probably been covered but I just saw this YOUTUBE Short yesterday about Atlantis being at the Eye of the Sahara...Mauritania...the Richat structure.  BS or worth watching?

Gawd, Puzzler started a whole thread about that thing, once.

And recently a couple of posts.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Okay, alright, I get it..

....walks away with head down, tail between legs, shaking head....

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

How do yòu know?

Which isn’t likely since in the 3000 years that AE existed there’s no evidence of any kind of story such as Atlantis being inscribed on pillars and such. The AE were only interested in trade relations and wars fought and won. 

cormac

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Yeah….these newbies, sheesh.

Edited by The Puzzler
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Which isn’t likely since in the 3000 years that AE existed there’s no evidence of any kind of story such as Atlantis being inscribed on pillars and such. The AE were only interested in trade relations and wars fought and won. 

cormac

You’re being too practical, sheesh.

• Haha 3

Just now, The Puzzler said:

You’re being too practical, sheesh.

I just don’t go for trying to validate a myth. :rolleyes:

cormac

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

How do yòu know?

This is the original.

F2CE5B16-99B4-46CD-B2FB-065DA642025F.jpeg

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked