Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atlantis Explained!

Rojack

12 minutes ago, The Puzzler said:

Oh right, I didn’t know that what the Egyptian priests said was not an ‘Egyptian original’….this is getting pedantically ridiculous.

Not pedantic, apparently it just goes over your head that there’s not a shred of evidence that the Egyptians ever knew of or carved on pillars a story about Atlantis. None, zip, zilch, nada. 

cormac

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Puzzler said:

The word is old, gates. Pre-Pheonician. 
in Basque the word is catena…C/.GaTE na. Romance language, maybe but I doubt it. 
why am II seeing Carthage in this word?

Melqat? Lord of the city. Qat is city. I’d love to go the Qatar one day, watch the racing.

C0EB7662-E1D7-4BA1-AA42-12C9C7C15944.jpeg

Isn't the Carthgo a quite similar to the Portus, the main port of the Roman Empire?

Rom fick förnödenheter via kuststaden Ostia | Varldenshistoria.se

19 minutes ago, The Puzzler said:

Again, just u ticking them off my list.

Because you can’t just stick with the directions Plato gives you? 

cormac

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Puzzler said:

He is interesting in his own right for sure.

He is. And Manetho's list of pharaos is the one used by early Egyptologists

No one uses Herodotus' list.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, flying squid said:

Isn't the Carthago a quite similar to the Portus, the main port of the Roman Empire?

Yeah, a cothon. I have suggested several times that Plato must have used such a harbour for his City of Atlantis.

FR0srEtWQAAbOrY.jpg:large

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Not pedantic, apparently it just goes over your head that there’s not a shred of evidence that the Egyptians ever knew of or carved on pillars a story about Atlantis. None, zip, zilch, nada. 

cormac

10 minutes ago, flying squid said:

Isn't the Carthgo a quite similar to the Portus, the main port of the Roman Empire?

Porto..that’s a good word.

• Confused 3

9 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Because you can’t just stick with the directions Plato gives you? 

cormac

I’m following them to a T.

4 minutes ago, The Puzzler said:

Yeah, if those directions were being followed by a drunk sailor on Liberty. 

cormac

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, The Puzzler said:

Puzz, I remember you once, years ago, posted a black/white drawing of Atlantis you had made yourself.

Maybe you care to post it again? I once stored it, but that notebook (Lenovo) is dead as a dodo.

2 hours ago, joc said:

I'll put it on my list of things to do then.  

Meanwhile:  this has probably been covered but I just saw this YOUTUBE Short yesterday about Atlantis being at the Eye of the Sahara...Mauritania...the Richat structure.  BS or worth watching?

If you care what Plato wrote its not worth it. If you, like Rojack and others, don't give a damn about Plato, go ahead. :rolleyes:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hanslune said:

I've always liked Antarctica, New Jersey and Hokkaido

hokkaido is a new one to me. I wonder how someone came up with that ? :huh:Was it someone from Japan perhaps?  People seem to be very good at "finding" Atlantis where they live.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Atlantis was the size of 'Libya and Asia' combined.

This is Herodotus map:

3605.gif

Even though Atlantis would be lots smaller than the actual size of Libya (=Africa) and Asia combined, it would still be large.

Ànd just outside the Pillars of Hercules.

It should have been a large island-continent that sank, and left only 'muddy waters'.

Makes me think of a great band, heh.

Edited to add:

I forgot: Plato was wrong. He made mistakes.

Right.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

hokkaido is a new one to me. I wonder how someone came up with that ? :huh:Was it someone from Japan perhaps?  People seem to be very good at "finding" Atlantis where they live.

Maybe Hans meant Yonaguni??

5 hours ago, The Puzzler said:

To his twin brother, who was born after him, and obtained as his lot the extremity of the island towards the Pillars of Heracles, facing the country which is now called the region of Gades in that part of the world, he gave the name which in the Hellenic language is Eumelus, in the language of the country which is named after him, Gadeirus.

I don't have the answer yet. This still needs a little work. In the meantime, someone else may to give it a try. Here what i believe I know: I believe Atlas was the first son and received for his kingdom the landmass that included Florida, Georgia, and Mexico. The second son was Eumelus. His kingdom included  the East coast of north America. Gades is a place in Europe that may cause con fusion. It was part of the captured Atlantis kingdom.

10 minutes ago, Rojack said:

I don't have the answer yet. This still needs a little work. In the meantime, someone else may to give it a try. Here what i believe I know: I believe Atlas was the first son and received for his kingdom the landmass that included Florida, Georgia, and Mexico. The second son was Eumelus. His kingdom included  the East coast of north America. Gades is a place in Europe that may cause con fusion. It was part of the captured Atlantis kingdom.

So basically you continue to crap all over what Plato said while making it what YOU WANT IT TO BE, yeah sadly we get that. 

You do nothing but pay lip-service to Plato and his story. 

cormac

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Ah yes, thats probably it. 

9 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Puzz, I remember you once, years ago, posted a black/white drawing of Atlantis you had made yourself.

Maybe you care to post it again? I once stored it, but that notebook (Lenovo) is dead as a dodo.

I’ll see if I can dig it up.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, The Puzzler said:

I’ll see if I can dig it up.

I can’t believe I actually found it lol

99CD77DD-4020-4EDB-B7F4-5F21686B760D.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Nah, a Japanese man long ago wrote something about Plato putting Atlantis in Hokkaido. Nothing to do with Yonaguni. This was the late 60s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Who was that guy here years ago who was quite convinced Atlantis was in the Americas? 

5 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Nah, a Japanese man long ago wrote something about Plato putting Atlantis in Hokkaido.

Sri Lanka is more plausible, imo.

32 minutes ago, flying squid said:

Sri Lanka is more plausible, imo.

Is Sri Lanka in front of the Pillars of Heracles? No.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, flying squid said:

Is it Hokkaido then?

lol 

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked