Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atlantis Explained!

Rojack

14 minutes ago, qxcontinuum said:

Do you just restated something I already quoted? 

Nope, you didn't say anything that's up to date. The Black Sea Flood has since been redated to circa 7400 BC which is nearly 2000 years older than your quoted date, was nowhere near as devastating as originally claimed and had nothing to do with the Biblical Great Flood. BTW, ancient Babylon IS NOT in North Africa, try again.

cormac

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Nope, you didn't say anything that's up to date. The Black Sea Flood has since been redated to circa 7400 BC which is nearly 2000 years older than your quoted date, was nowhere near as devastating as originally claimed and had nothing to do with the Biblical Great Flood. BTW, ancient Babylon IS NOT in North Africa, try again.

cormac

do know the Black Sea Flood  was gradually flooded, not a big flood :)

25 minutes ago, qxcontinuum said:

It doesn't discard at all, you have not read the above well; 

"They identify the Pillars of Hercules with the Strait of Bosporus

Thats just the writers opinion. Opinion is not fact.

The link in the quote actually says that the Pillars of Hercules is the Strait of Gibraltar. 

"The Pillars of Hercules (Latin: Columnae Herculis, Greek: Ἡράκλειαι Στῆλαι / (H)Erákleiai Stílai, Arabic: أعمدة هرقل / Aʿmidat Hiraql, Spanish: Columnas de Hércules) was the phrase that was applied in Antiquity to the promontories that flank the entrance to the Strait of Gibraltar. The northern Pillar, Calpe Mons, is the Rock of Gibraltar. A corresponding North African peak not being predominant, the identity of the southern Pillar, Abila Mons, has been disputed throughout history,[1] with the two most likely candidates being Monte Hacho in Ceuta and Jebel Musa in Morocco."

Maybe you should read your own links before you accuse me of not reading well ? :whistle:

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Abramelin said:

This is better: a link to a website instead of a photo:

https://atlantipedia.ie/samples/mestdaghmarcel/

I did find this Mestdagh in the Bres magazines I still have, but I am glad they know of him at 'Atlantipedia'.

Sens-Atlantis.jpg

A bit more:

http://jeffries-fox.com/essays/atlantisinfrance1.html

http://jeffries-fox.com/essays/atlantisinfrance2.html

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Rojack said:

What if I showed you the small island of Atlantis with three large canals around it? Would you believe it then?

This would obviously be proof of Atlantis.

After all, there are no canals in Florida - everyone knows that.

And the Army Corp of Engineers is imaginary as well. We know that because Plato never once mentioned them.

Harte

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Swede said:

Oh, my.

The challenges presented to you in contributions #31, #245, and #283 were obviously failed attempts at stimulating self-education. To elaborate:

Plato’s demise of Atlantis purportedly occurred 9,000 years before the time of Solon. Solon lived circa 630-560 BC. Thus, the demise of Atlantis occurred ~9,600 BC or ~11,600 before present (BP), or, for the sake of rounding ~ 12,000 BP.

While the 12,000 year figure actually falls into the YD cooling stage, it is nonetheless part of the Pleistocene to Holocene transition. During this period, oceanic basin levels were still notably lower than those of today.

The presence of humans in the Americas would appear to date to circa 15,000-16,000 BP. The below imagery is based upon current research into the presence of early North American human activities in areas of the continental shelf that have subsequently been submerged by rising basin levels. Note that Adovasio is a principal PI. The very light blue/white area would represent the Florida shoreline circa 15,000 to 12,000+ BP.

https://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations/12newworld/background/sealevel/sealevel.html

While more detailed bathymetric data can be sourced, the bottom line is:  If one utilizes Plato’s dating, the Florida peninsula would be quite a number of meters higher in basin-related elevation than today and Tampa would be an appreciably longer distance from the present shoreline. Will await your measurement figures (!).

Once again, your “speculations” are not at all supportable.

Edit: Typo, clarification.

No problemo.

It was a reverse flood so it was reverse Atlantis.

Harte

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Swede said:

1) Plato describes "Atlantis" as an island.

2) The "sinking" of "Atlantis" is a significant element in Plato's morality tale. Major flaw in your non-argument.

3) Exactly how many critical aspects of the original writings will you attempt to alter in order to support a demonstrably incorrect fantasy.?

Given that he doesn't hesitate to pull the old Sitchin switcheroo with Greek words, I'd say the total would be infinite.

Harte

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Rojack said:

jaylemurph, I know that you are smart, highly educated, and have the ability to figure things. So, let me ask you to figure out one thing that should take you only a few minutes. Here is a quote from Plato and a link to Google maps.  I’m asking you to match the terrain features to the text:

“Now, the largest of the zones into which a passage was cut from the sea was three stadia in breadth, and the zone of land which came next of equal breadth; but the next two zones, the one of water, the other of land, were two stadia, and the one which surrounded the central island was a stadium only in width. The island in which the palace was situated had a diameter of five stadia”

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/ZiqdTts1UagspXNf9

You might have to change the text to get the match. Or you might be able to figure it out without changing the text. In any case, if you make the match, then we can discuss the area without anyone getting upset at the other one.

3 stadia is 576 meters. That would be a large canal, wouldn't you say?

Unless you think Plato didn't know what a stadion was. He was just making up Greek words, I take it.

Harte

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Harte said:

This would obviously be proof of Atlantis.

After all, there are no canals in Florida - everyone knows that.

And the Army Corp of Engineers is imaginary as well. We know that because Plato never once mentioned them.

Harte

Nor are they mentioned in the Bible, the Pyramid Texts, Book of the Dead, Iliad or the six schools of Chinese Philosophy. That is pretty damning! Pun intended

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Nor are they mentioned in the Bible, the Pyramid Texts, Book of the Dead, Iliad or the six schools of Chinese Philosophy. That is pretty damning! Pun intended

Those are all imaginary too, since Plato never mentioned them either.

Harte

• Haha 1

Just now, Harte said:

Those are all imaginary too, since Plato never mentioned them either.

Harte

Damn you are right O'sage of wisdom.

A question for you wise one. Are Jimmy Dean sausages still the best?

I prefer mine made with pork, but if you're into cannibalism, do what you think is best.

Harte

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Swede said:

Oh, my.

The challenges presented to you in contributions #31, #245, and #283 were obviously failed attempts at stimulating self-education. To elaborate:

Plato’s demise of Atlantis purportedly occurred 9,000 years before the time of Solon. Solon lived circa 630-560 BC. Thus, the demise of Atlantis occurred ~9,600 BC or ~11,600 before present (BP), or, for the sake of rounding ~ 12,000 BP.

While the 12,000 year figure actually falls into the YD cooling stage, it is nonetheless part of the Pleistocene to Holocene transition. During this period, oceanic basin levels were still notably lower than those of today.

The presence of humans in the Americas would appear to date to circa 15,000-16,000 BP. The below imagery is based upon current research into the presence of early North American human activities in areas of the continental shelf that have subsequently been submerged by rising basin levels. Note that Adovasio is a principal PI. The very light blue/white area would represent the Florida shoreline circa 15,000 to 12,000+ BP.

https://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations/12newworld/background/sealevel/sealevel.html

While more detailed bathymetric data can be sourced, the bottom line is:  If one utilizes Plato’s dating, the Florida peninsula would be quite a number of meters higher in basin-related elevation than today and Tampa would be an appreciably longer distance from the present shoreline. Will await your measurement figures (!).

Once again, your “speculations” are not at all supportable.

Edit: Typo, clarification.

Thanks for that information. It helps me estimate Atlantis’s date of birth. Based on that data, I would say that the canals were dug and the city of Atlantis was built about 15,000 years ago.  We know when Atlantis was destroyed and we can guess what the water level was on the plain during that time. With that information, we can say that Atlantis was in existence for about 3,000 years before its destruction.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Rojack said:

We know when Atlantis was destroyed 

But you seem to be arguing it wasn't destroyed and still exists today ....  (obviously contrary to what Plato said)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Rojack said:

Thanks for that information. It helps me estimate Atlantis’s date of birth. Based on that data, I would say that the canals were dug and the city of Atlantis was built about 15,000 years ago.  We know when Atlantis was destroyed and we can guess what the water level was on the plain during that time. With that information, we can say that Atlantis was in existence for about 3,000 years before its destruction.

So now you’ll have to explain how the canals could have been built 15,000 years ago when the earliest people in Florida only date to 12,000 years ago? You screw up everything you touch when discussing Plato’s Atlantis. 

cormac

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Essan said:

But you seem to be arguing it wasn't destroyed and still exists today ....  (obviously contrary to what Plato said)

The story of Atlantis is extremely complex. Language changes and mistakes in translation adds to the problems. The country of Atlantis was the costal country of a kingdom of ten. So we can say that the city of Atlantis and the culture of Atlantis was destroyed by flooding. Also, during the flood, the ten armies of the Atlantis Kingdom was destroyed by the Greek armies and the flood. It is easier to understand when you are looking at the big picture.

• Confused 1

On 10/31/2020 at 6:14 PM, Rojack said:

Plato described an Atlantis plain that extended out into the Atlantic Ocean. That plain is the state of Florida. Check  the measurements if you don’t trust me.

During the flooding, the Florida Plain was turned into an impassable shoal of mud. This means that the terrain features Plato wrote about are still in place today above ground. My argument and the material I post here are designed to support Plato’s story as true. Also, Plato assumed that the continent sunk. It didn’t sink.

Even though Florida didn't sink, there should still be proof of a massive flooding.

Edit:

You can read all about that proof in the Doggerland thread.

Btw., Doggerland actually sank beneath the waves...

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

So now you’ll have to explain how the canals could have been built 15,000 years ago when the earliest people in Florida only date to 12,000 years ago? You screw up everything you touch when discussing Plato’s Atlantis. 

cormac

We are only guessing until we get things figured out. Let's go with 1,000. Atlantis was in existence 1,000 years before its destruction. Does that match the sea at that time?

17 minutes ago, Rojack said:

We are only guessing until we get things figured out. Let's go with 1,000. Atlantis was in existence 1,000 years before its destruction. Does that match the sea at that time?

No, this is not “let’s cherry-pick our facts”. You’re either relevant to Plato’s story of Atlantis or you’re not. So far it looks like you’re not, not even remotely. 

ETA:  Changing it to 1000 years doesn’t help as you still have the canals build BEFORE humans occupied Florida. Can’t happen. 

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Even though Florida didn't sink, there should still be proof of a massive flooding.

Edit:

You can read all about that proof in the Doggerland thread.

Btw., Doggerland actually sank beneath the waves...

I tried to explain that earlier. Take a look at this map image. Look at the canals. The people of modern day America did not dig those canals. The canals were dug by the people of Atlantis. All the artifacts were washed away into the canals by flooding.

https://goo.gl/maps/bCdmWFCjsdpSyKRX8

There are thousands of canals like this on the Florida Plain. Look around.

22 minutes ago, Rojack said:

The story of Atlantis is extremely complex.

Not really. If you read Platos dialogues you will literally have all the information we have about Atlantis.

22 minutes ago, Rojack said:

Language changes and mistakes in translation adds to the problems.

Maybe this time you will be kind enough to tell me how you determine those translation mistakes ? 

I won't hold my breath though, as I fear I will die from asphyxiation before you give a usefull answer. 

14 minutes ago, Rojack said:

So you simply make up numbers out of thin air and then you wonder why no one believes you. :no:

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Rojack said:

I tried to explain that earlier. Take a look at this map image. Look at the canals. The people of modern day America did not dig those canals. The canals were dug by the people of Atlantis. All the artifacts were washed away into the canals by flooding.

Go. Back. And. Read. My. Last. Post. 

You can flog your maps til you’re blue in the face, and no one will buy it. It convinced no one.

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rojack said:

OK, I only once visited Florida. That was on my flight from Peru to the Netherlands, 1991; we landed in Miami Airport (or whatever it is called). And that's all I saw of Florida.

So I haven't looked around and see all those pre-historic canals.

But my guess is that they are quite recently dug:

https://jacquithurlowlippisch.com/tag/history-canals-south-florida/

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

OK, I only once visited Florida. That was on my flight from Peru to the Netherlands, 1991; we landed in Miami Airport (or whatever it is called). And that's all I saw of Florida.

So I haven't looked around and see all those pre-historic canals.

But my guess is that they are quite recently dug:

https://jacquithurlowlippisch.com/tag/history-canals-south-florida/

Sorry, but none of the canals were dug quite recently. They were all dug during the time of Atlantis.

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked