Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Giant Bat-Winged Creature

Commander CMG

1 minute ago, Resume said:

Yes you believe stuff, everyone does.  Why do you believe the stories?

Because...

I don't know, its just a gut feeling.

I honestly believe something happened in that town, I can't put my finger on it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Chronus said:

Because...

I honestly believe something happened in that town, I can't put my finger on it.

Do you make a lot of decisions based on the feeling in your guts?  Because my intestines absorb nutrients and water, and eliminate the waste; I guess they're falling down on the job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Resume said:

Do you make a lot of decisions based on the feeling in your guts?  Because my intestines absorb nutrients and water, and eliminate the waste; I guess they're falling down on the job.

I make about 20% of my desicions from my gut, if you must know.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Chronus said:

Because...

I never saw your reply if you read the mothman book,

You are guilty of the embellishment i speak of,

48 minutes ago, Chronus said:

And a whole town joined in on the fun.

39 minutes ago, Chronus said:

And, in my opinion, true stories.

First off the entire town of point pleasant did not collaborate mothman, and you need to go look up bandwagon effect, a few people said oh yeah me too, not unlike the case of the dover demon, please look it up.

Stories can be told by credible sincere people it doesnt make them facts, sincern people can be mistaken or wrong, and thats removing BSers wanting attention and or profits.

Stories are not proof and in the case of mothman just very weak evidence,  if you want to believe stories because your gut says so that's fine ill leave to to that.

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Chronus said:

I make about 20% of my desicions from my gut, if you must know.

I think you might have pulled that percentage from an organ attached to your gut.

• Like 2

If you like mothman look up flatlands monster

8 hours ago, the13bats said:

I never saw your reply if you read the mothman book,

You are guilty of the embellishment i speak of,

First off the entire town of point pleasant did not collaborate mothman, and you need to go look up bandwagon effect, a few people said oh yeah me too, not unlike the case of the dover demon, please look it up.

Stories can be told by credible sincere people it doesnt make them facts, sincern people can be mistaken or wrong, and thats removing BSers wanting attention and or profits.

Stories are not proof and in the case of mothman just very weak evidence,  if you want to believe stories because your gut says so that's fine ill leave to to that.

"I never saw your reply if you read the mothman book"

I'm assuming you mean the Mothman Prophecies, and if so, yes I have read it, 10//10.

Also I don't really know why you brought the Dover Demon into this, seeing how there where only two sighting.

19 hours ago, Chronus said:

"I never saw your reply if you read the mothman book"

I'm assuming you mean the Mothman Prophecies, and if so, yes I have read it, 10//10.

Also I don't really know why you brought the Dover Demon into this, seeing how there where only two sighting.

And what do you think of keel style?

Bonus question, what did keel claim to find in his phone?

I brought dover demon into this because if you remove keel from mothman then it wouldn't be any bigger than dover demon is right now,

Keel was an eccentric beatnik writer who kept that town stirred up, UFOs,  MIB, bandwagon of alleged MM sightings, 99% a result of keel fanning it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, the13bats said:

And what do you think of keel style?

Bonus question, what did keel claim to find in his phone?

I brought dover demon into this because if you remove keel from mothman then it wouldn't be any bigger than dover demon is right now,

Keel was an eccentric beatnik writer who kept that town stirred up, UFOs,  MIB, bandwagon of alleged MM sightings, 99% a result of keel fanning it.

So your saying if Keel wasn't there, then the whole story wouldn't have been so big?

10 hours ago, Chronus said:

So your saying if Keel wasn't there, then the whole story wouldn't have been so big?

Pretty much, keel was vagabonding around hunting things to write about heard the kids story and he fanned and fueled it, if one researches it back to orginal reports theres just not much there past stories from partying kids, everything else keel is on it.

For the most part MM had died off when the silver bridge collasped it was keel who put together the mothman bridge connection, people were grieving over the real tragedy so make believe mothmen wernt really on their minds.

Keep in mind these are my conclusions if you want to believe MM is real thats fine.

26 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Pretty much, keel was vagabonding around hunting things to write about heard the kids story and he fanned and fueled it, if one researches it back to orginal reports theres just not much there past stories from partying kids, everything else keel is on it.

For the most part MM had died off when the silver bridge collasped it was keel who put together the mothman bridge connection, people were grieving over the real tragedy so make believe mothmen wernt really on their minds.

Keep in mind these are my conclusions if you want to believe MM is real thats fine.

It was still an awesome book.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chronus said:

It was still an awesome book.

I suppose so but it was only about 30% mothman, in otherwords keel even had to embellish up a lot just to fill a book about MM.

Dont get me wrong MM is a fav of mine.

18 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I suppose so but it was only about 30% mothman, in otherwords keel even had to embellish up a lot just to fill a book about MM.

Dont get me wrong MM is a fav of mine.

Mothman is a favorite of mine as well. But yeah, most of the book was about UFOS and extraterestrial stuff.

Edited by Chronus
Which I'm not against
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chronus said:

Mothman is a favorite of mine as well. But yeah, most of the book was about UFOS and extraterestrial stuff.

MIB tapping his phone with cigarette loads, hes got a great imagination.

Just now, the13bats said:

MIB tapping his phone with cigarette loads, hes got a great imagination.

Now, I don't remember that part, but I do believe to government does a lot of shady stuff, so I wouldn't put it past  them to bug a house.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chronus said:

Now, I don't remember that part, but I do believe to government does a lot of shady stuff, so I wouldn't put it past  them to bug a house.

No oned cared what keel was doing, the odd calls he got in the night were his drunk buddy,

I believe keel was a lot like raymond palmer, his fans liked him trying to put something over on them and he loved doing it.

it was about the mystery not if it was fact.

Just now, the13bats said:

No oned cared what keel was doing, the odd calls he got in the night were his drunk buddy,

I believe keel was a lot like raymond palmer, his fans liked him trying to put something over on them and he loved doing it.

it was about the mystery not if it was fact.

Never heard of that Palmer person.

8 minutes ago, Chronus said:

Ray palmer publisher fate magazine,

Edited by the13bats

18 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Ray palmer publisher fate magazine,

ohhh 

Goodness, more big flappy things sighted around Chicagoland. Well, at least Carol Stream is outside the Emerald Belt this time... though it is surrounded by it's own large parklands. And that area of DuPage does have a nice assortment of large birds in its preserves. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rashore said:

Goodness, more big flappy things sighted around Chicagoland. Well, at least Carol Stream is outside the Emerald Belt this time... though it is surrounded by it's own large parklands. And that area of DuPage does have a nice assortment of large birds in its preserves. 

Not too long ago, we had a report of a mothman "sighting" in a field about three minutes from my house; a field notable as seasonal habitat for Canada geese, Sandhill cranes, herons, etc.  Now we have a report of a "batwinged creature" in an area not five minutes from where I worked for 30 years, an area known for, as you noted, a nice assortment of large birds.

I'm seeing a pattern here.

ETA:  And to tell the truth I'm more interested in what happened when the guy ducked down the alley with some roly-poly little bat-faced girl.

Edited by Resume
  • Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 9:50 PM, Chronus said:

You and I have hugely different opinions.

Which version of mothman are you interested in?

• Tall or short?
  • With or without arms?
  • Talons or regular feet?
  • Glows in the dark or not?
  • With or without a head?

20 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Which version of mothman are you interested in?

• Tall or short?
  • With or without arms?
  • Talons or regular feet?
  • Glows in the dark or not?
  • With or without a head?

Tall

No arms

Talons

Glow in the dark eyes (or not it depends on the encounter I guess)

Without a head

On 10/20/2020 at 7:32 PM, Chronus said:

You might want to check out the thread on the Shaver Mysteries which were promoted by Palmer. The Shaver Mysteries are considered by many to be the start of the modern era of the distrust of science and the tales mashing together different ideas as Keel did with the Mothman and UFOs.

BTW, Ray Palmer's name would be used to name a superhero.

37 minutes ago, Chronus said:

Tall

No arms

Talons

Glow in the dark eyes (or not it depends on the encounter I guess)

Without a head

So you more in line with the older stories, the original ones. Notice that the statue in WV of the Mothman is a more modern version with arms.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/mothman-statue