Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Monsters of the Deep

Commander CMG

But although the dead "sea serpents" found on Orkney's shores did not convince scientists, the islands' have witnessed a number of other strange sea-creature sightings over the years.

In most cases, the witnesses have been pragmatic, professional men with no reason to fabricate yarns.

In November 1905, for example, two men fishing off Shapinsay claimed they had encountered a sea-creature.

They described the beast as having a body like a horse, "covered with a scaly surface and spotted."

Read More: Here 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

The irony is it sounds like 'never ending story', I think the dog? Just variant on skin. 

Thank you. I enjoyed the read! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Orkney islands are not much faraway from the Loch Ness. Maybe that's a creatures that occasionally swim into the lake from a sea. :whistle:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Reminds me of the old Scots stories of kelpies,  water horses.  Maybe not a horse, but a good description of something looking like a horse.  Kind of like how we now describe them as plesiosaurs which could be equally off base, but giving a mental picture to people.

Creatures that live in the sea might occasionally visit the lochs. pursuing salmon or other fish up the rivers and getting trapped by low water.

If there is something to the stories, I do not think it is a vertebrate or an air breathing organism.  It seems too elusive with few sightings alive or dead.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

These description ar so strange that we cannot compare it to any fossils or living critters...

I always kind of thought of tullimonstrum, the state fossil of  Illinois, which is like nothing else, but might look like a horse to some and a plesiosaurus to others.  Of course there is a 300 million year gap and a matter of size, they were  small, or at least the fossil finds are all small.  We don't even know if it is related to invertebrates or early vertebrates.

Tullimonstrum NT small.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

..they were  small, or at least the fossil finds are all small. 

Could it be a fossils of a juvenile animals?

16 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

Could it be a fossils of a juvenile animals?

I don't know.  Could even be larvae of some animal that goes through a metamorphosis on its way to adulthood.

• Like 1

Who knows whats in the sea

• Thanks 1