Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mandela Effect: Richard Simmons Headband

papageorge1

Most people here are familiar by now with the Mandela Effect claim.

I got a new one that blows my mind. Many of us remember the fitness icon Richard Simmons. I remember the corny short shorts, tank top, headband, effeminate mannerisms and frizzy hair.

Well apparently the headband was never a thing. I say there was frequently a headband as part of his iconic image. Many agree with me and this is one more Mandela Effect controversy. I even read where one of his TV shows exercise on-air people is certain of the headband. 

Richard Simmons 80s

What do you recall?

Edited by papageorge1

3 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Don't know the fella, but immediately thought of John McEnroe when I saw the pic.

Yep he was an American cultural icon. UK probably not so much.

Just now, XenoFish said:

Mis-remembering, that's all it is. Must the mandela year on UM.

What do you remember?

Just now, papageorge1 said:

What do you remember?

He never had the headband and my wife had all his tapes. It was actually fun to do the dance aerobics. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

He never had the headband and my wife had all his tapes. It was actually fun to do the dance aerobics. 

What does your wife remember from memory? (not what the tapes look like now)

Just now, papageorge1 said:

What does your wife remember from memory? (not what the tapes look like now)

The same. No headband. 

Before I go any further in this thread. I know full well that no matter what I write will convince no one that the mandela effect is purely psychological. You and other like you have made up your minds. So why waste my time?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Remember the comedian Carrot Top?  A lookalike that even has a headband on his Facebook picture.  Possible confusion?

Not a confusion at all for me. Very different people to me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Before I go any further in this thread. I know full well that no matter what I write will convince no one that the mandela effect is purely psychological. You and other like you have made up your minds. So why waste my time?

I believe I am an experiencer. Now another discussion might become are there differences between the experiencers and non-experiencers. There may be more depth to come with this.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

hahah!  Indeed.  No, I don't remember any headband, but I have a fairly good grasp on reality and how the mind associates one thing with another.  Gee, it's not as if many fitness instructors wear a headband, and the Carrot top and McEnroe references are also very significant.  ALL people who look like that should wear headbands, right papa?  Anyway, let's not let logic ruin a great tinfoil story.

Let's get physical... Did Olivia Newton-John wear one in that famous music video?

And to get aesthetic... Richard Simmons should have worn one given that immense forehead...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I do not remember him ever wearing a headband.  

• Like 1

The Mandela effect must be strong with me because I don't remember him at all....

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, tcgram said:

I do not remember him ever wearing a headband.  

This surprises me but I'm learning of what other people remember.

But I said I thought this would be more for more mature Americans. (I can judge by your picture you're under 25).

Edited by papageorge1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

This surprises me but I'm learning of what other people remember.

But I said I thought this would be more for more mature Americans. (I can judge by your picture your under 25).

You're very kind but I am waaay over 25.   LOL

Lol, ive neen hit with mandela effect its mental not paranormal, i do not remember rich wearing any headband , i never paid him much attention but my OCD detailed brain i would think rich, adamant and billy Crystal all had that odd hair plug looking hairline,

my wife however does recall rich with headband and is now so perplexed shes looking at pics of rich, which btw i wont ask why rich was on pappas mind tonight, thats his private business.

I was reading a blog once about mandela and movies and the list the guy posted he had a few wrong, perhaps it was a case of directors cut vs theatrical version, but even the guy trying to make a mandela point suffered from it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

my wife however does recall rich with headband and is now so perplexed shes looking at pics of rich, 

Many of us are perplexed like your wife. It's theorized Mandela Effects affect people differently. Even Richard Simmons Halloween costumes included the iconic sweatband. How about Papa dresses up as Richard Simmons in his shorty shorts, tank tops and headband this Halloween.  

Edited by papageorge1

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Many of us are perplexed like your wife. It's theorized Mandela Effects affect people differently. Even Richard Simmons Halloween costumes included the iconic sweatband. How about Papa dresses up as Richard Simmons in his shorty shorts, tank tops and headband this Halloween.  

Good god you did just scare me, if you have larry fine hair go for it.

I assure you generic halloween costumes are no gauge of reality.

Wasnt there a thread perhaps you that had some false memory about the flintstones on the Google search and wanted to subscribe some epic alter universe thing to it?

4 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I assure you generic halloween costumes are no gauge of reality.

I consider it very strong evidence that this was an iconic part of his appearance.

4 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Wasnt there a thread perhaps you that had some false memory about the flintstones on the Google search and wanted to subscribe some epic alter universe thing to it?

On Aug 2, 2017 at about 16:40 EST, I was on reddit discussing the Flinstones/Flintstones flip on another thread. My position was that it is and always was the Flintstones. The guy sent me a reply saying at the time it was the Flinstones you could look at Wikipedia, and all official TV show and vitamin sites and it was always Flintstones; he used the word Flintstones in all four examples given.

I said 'I Know' you are confirming my point that it was always Flintstones.

Then when I was done with my reply and I looked up at his original post and all four 'Flintstones' had changed on my static display to 'Flinstones'. Did I just see it wrong?? I looked away and came back and it was 'Flintstones' again. I would just look away, blink, change my focus looked back and it would flip again. I was able to do this 6 or 7 times in under five minutes each time looking slowly and cautiously for this controversial 't' IN ALL FOUR PLACES. Essentially impossible to me that I made a mistake slowly and cautiously each time. I felt something was trying to wake me up.

Edited by papageorge1

I consider it very strong evidence that this was an iconic part of his appearance

But richard himself didnt.

Since halloween is kinda my thing i went to look real quick, while the generic "fitness workout guy" costume does have a headband the one endorsed with his name doesnt

https://www.halloweencostumes.com/richard-simmons-costume.html

adult-richard-simmons-costume-update.jpg

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I consider it very strong evidence that this was an iconic part of his appearance.

On Aug 2, 2017 at about 16:40 EST, I was on reddit discussing the Flinstones/Flintstones flip on another thread. My position was that it is and always was the Flintstones. The guy sent me a reply saying at the time it was the Flinstones you could look at Wikipedia, and all official TV show and vitamin sites and it was always Flintstones; he used the word Flintstones in all four examples given.

I said 'I Know' you are confirming my point that it was always Flintstones.

Then when I was done with my reply and I looked up at his original post and all four 'Flintstones' had changed on my static display to 'Flinstones'. Did I just see it wrong?? I looked away and came back and it was 'Flintstones' again. I would just look away, blink, change my focus looked back and it would flip again. I was able to do this 6 or 7 times in under five minutes each time looking slowly and cautiously for this controversial 't' IN ALL FOUR PLACES. Essentially impossible to me that I made a mistake slowly and cautiously each time. I felt something was trying to wake me up.

Perhaps a stroke or embolism, too bad you have no screen shots to back up the story.

7 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Perhaps a stroke or embolism, too bad you have no screen shots to back up the story.

Screen shots wouldn't help. They could be easily forged/created by me if I had no life and get me nowhere with my opponents anyway. 

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Screen shots wouldn't help. They could be easily forged/created by me if I had no life and get me nowhere with my opponents anyway. 

Um, so just your story then,

I think the Halloween costumes may be causing the confusion. It looks as though the sweatband is included deliberately in some of them to conceal the edge of the fake hairline portion of the wig and help keep the whole thing from falling off.

Edited by Oniomancer
  • Like 5

• The title was changed to Mandela Effect: Richard Simmons Headband