Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Abolishing the traditional grading system?

bmk1245

9 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The day every child comes to class with an equal background, then we can discuss an equality in other areas.

You can't expect an equal background, you can only create equal opportunities to attend a school. A child's background is dependent on choices that their parents made, and you cannot legislate for that. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

No, because when it comes to learning you don’t fail, you just haven‘t learnt something yet. Look at it like this - I assess kids ability to catch a ball. Now, there are a dozen factors that play into a child’s ability or inability to do so. Wind, peer distraction, bad throw by teacher, sun in the eyes, a dislike of the whole concept of “sport” etc. Now, do they fail because on the instance of assessment they don’t catch the ball? Or do I say “They can’t do it, yet”?

When learning to learn you adopt a growth mindset, at its heart a growth mindset is “zI dan’t do that ... yet” failing someone impedes that growth mindset. Instead saying “you didn”t do it, try again” builds that mindset. From a growth mindset comes the sort of emotional resilience that even adults lack.

If during test you catch exactly zero balls out of 10 after weeks/months of exercise/training, then yeah, its not "not competent yet", its complete failure, and baseball school probably not for you B)

I'm not saying you have to mock kid, you just grade his knowledge/capabilities accordingly. Thats it.

Edit to add: that kind of stuff is sheer stupidity, wouldn't you agree?

Edited by bmk1245

3 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

If during test you catch exactly zero balls out of 10 after weeks/months of exercise/training, then yeah, its not "not competent yet", its complete failure, and baseball school probably not for you B)

I'm not saying you have to mock kid, you just grade his knowledge/capabilities accordingly. Thats it.

and we do. We grade them, in comparison to both their peers and the set work “not yet competent”, they have failed to reach the expectations set upon them. We do not though treat this as the end of the learning. 

3 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

Edit to add: that kind of stuff is sheer stupidity, wouldn't you agree?

Yeah, that’s mad as a box of frogs.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 12:57 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

and we do. We grade them, in comparison to both their peers and the set work “not yet competent”, they have failed to reach the expectations set upon them. We do not though treat this as the end of the learning. 

[...]

Ok, fair enough.

PS funny, and yet VERY disturbing story

Law professor argues in UBC human rights complaint that Indigenous scholars shouldn't have to publish peer-reviewed research

Lorn June McCue has alleged that peer-reviewed research is contrary to indigenous oral traditions and that UBC’s standard discriminated against her

By arguing that publishing peer-reviewed research conflicted with her role as an indigenous scholar, a former law professor has won her bid for a human rights tribunal hearing after losing her job at the University of British Columbia.

Lorna June McCue was denied tenure and ultimately dismissed after 11 years at the university in part because of her failure to submit a single piece of peer-reviewed research during that time.

(link)

I'd say, best ever excuse for not doing homework :D

6 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

Ok, fair enough.

PS funny, and yet VERY disturbing story

(link)

I'd say, best ever excuse for not doing homework :D

....KING WHAT NOW!?

That’s ...king stupid.

• Like 1