Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Graffiti to 'ward off evil spirits' found

Eldorado

Medieval graffiti associated with warding off evil spirits has been discovered by archaeologists.

A series of lines radiating from a drilled hole were unearthed on two stones at the remains of a church in Stoke Mandeville, Buckinghamshire.

Historians believe the markings are 12th Century "witches' marks" created to protect against spirits by trapping them in an endless line or maze.

The discovery was made in preparation for the building of the HS2 rail line.

Full monty at the BBC: Link

• Like 6

Interesting...but "Witches" marks?? Not sure about that. The provenance for such a claim is weak at best, but makes for good press.

20 hours ago, keithisco said:

Interesting...but "Witches" marks?? Not sure about that. The provenance for such a claim is weak at best, but makes for good press.

No, it’s a pretty well-defined and documented claim. I’ve written articles on them before — one just a few years ago when almost exactly similar ones were found in Knole House. 

I can’t find the grown-up, print version right now, but the original I wrote as a PhD candidate is here: 

https://www.academia.edu/29577375/Playing_with_Power_Witchcraft_Theatre_and_Politics_in_the_Early_Reign_of_James_I_1603_1613_

—Jaylemurph 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

No, it’s a pretty well-defined and documented claim. I’ve written articles on them before — one just a few years ago when almost exactly similar ones were found in Knole House. 

I can’t find the grown-up, print version right now, but the original I wrote as a PhD candidate is here: 

https://www.academia.edu/29577375/Playing_with_Power_Witchcraft_Theatre_and_Politics_in_the_Early_Reign_of_James_I_1603_1613_

—Jaylemurph 

Jaylemurhp.....I have the greatest respect for you, but bringing up your Academic credentials is not  a way of actually proving a position one way or another.

4 hours ago, keithisco said:

Jaylemurhp.....I have the greatest respect for you, but bringing up your Academic credentials is not  a way of actually proving a position one way or another.

...then maybe you should /read/ the article.

--Jaylemurph

On 10/25/2020 at 1:13 AM, jaylemurph said:

...then maybe you should /read/ the article.

--Jaylemurph

I have scanned your article Jaylemurph, whiich is not doing it justice, so will find time to read it fully once time allows.