Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

NASA to announce new Moon discovery

33 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

InconceivableThoughts
On 10/24/2020 at 10:02 AM, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Stop spreading NASA misinformation. The Moon is flat and hollow. Anyone saying differently are part of the conspiracy. :rolleyes:

 

 

 

Its amazing how easy it is to be a conspiracy theorist. Maybe I should change over to the other side. Its so much easier when you don't need stuff like proofs and facts. :P

I feel its harder to be a conspiracy theorist....having to deal with all the nay sayers all the time is pretty stressful. I mean have you ever tried to explain a conspiracy theory? Its almost impossible.

Edited by InconceivableThoughts
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
jethrofloyd

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rolci

Water on the moon is news now? Wow. And here I was thinking that it was clear to everyone that the whole solar system was formed from the same stuff. All our oceans here on Earth were not transported here from a distant galaxy after the formation of the Solar system ya know... Why would it be abundant here and missing everywhere else? 'Cause we're somehow special? Though I'm not surprised if I'm to be honest. I've learned that most folks do think Earth is special. They actually think that when we look back in 100 years' time, when we have colonized other planets and there are settlements on all planets here and possibly around other star systems, we'll be saying: "It all started on Earth. We are the center of life in this universe. Lo, we are special." Geocentric model at its best, right here and now in 2020. Nothing amazes me any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Free99

All this time it was right there and if there is water there will be some type of life there. Microscopic but it�s still basically where it starts. As our technology grows and magnification it won�t be long when someone somewhere on this planet zooms in on some distant planet and something there is looking back at them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peter B
8 hours ago, Rolci said:

Water on the moon is news now? Wow. And here I was thinking that it was clear to everyone that the whole solar system was formed from the same stuff. All our oceans here on Earth were not transported here from a distant galaxy after the formation of the Solar system ya know... Why would it be abundant here and missing everywhere else? 'Cause we're somehow special? Though I'm not surprised if I'm to be honest. I've learned that most folks do think Earth is special. They actually think that when we look back in 100 years' time, when we have colonized other planets and there are settlements on all planets here and possibly around other star systems, we'll be saying: "It all started on Earth. We are the center of life in this universe. Lo, we are special." Geocentric model at its best, right here and now in 2020. Nothing amazes me any more.

Yes, water on the Moon is news.

When the Apollo Moon rocks were examined back in the 60s and 70s, one of the first things which became apparent was that they were similar to Earth rocks, except that they contained essentially no water. The similar lack of other volatile chemicals (that is, low boiling points) turned out to be a clue which led to the development of the current theory for the formation of the Moon. So yeah, one of the distinctive features of the Moon is its lack of water, and this new discovery is indeed...well...news.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peter B
4 hours ago, Free99 said:

All this time it was right there and if there is water there will be some type of life there. Microscopic but it�s still basically where it starts. As our technology grows and magnification it won�t be long when someone somewhere on this planet zooms in on some distant planet and something there is looking back at them.

I think finding life on the Moon is unlikely. Yes, you need water for life, as far as we know. But life also needs a lack of solar radiation. That's what we have on Earth, but not on the Moon.

The other thing about the Moon water - it's locked inside glass, and so can't freely flow and probably couldn't be accessed by any lifeform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rolci
On 10/28/2020 at 9:50 AM, Peter B said:

I think finding life on the Moon is unlikely. Yes, you need water for life, as far as we know. But life also needs a lack of solar radiation. That's what we have on Earth, but not on the Moon.

The other thing about the Moon water - it's locked inside glass, and so can't freely flow and probably couldn't be accessed by any lifeform.

You mean life as you know it needs a lack of solar radiation. Obviously where there is solar radiation life forms that thrive on solar radiation will evolve.

Imagine a planet where life evolved in darkness and where the beings get their energy not from sunlight but from the planet's thermal energy. (We have such life forms right here on Earth.) Then suppose that these life forms are sensitive to visible (to you) light, that the light you consider "visible" is the kind of light that kills them. (Just like UV light kills bacteria). They look into their telescopes (that filter out visible light but can translate it into the frequencies they see), see Earth, and say: "Look, that planet is bathed in ("visible") sunlight. No chance of life there..." Essentially the kind of narrow-perspective statement you just made above.

For some mysterious reason most humans seem to be fond of the idea that the only way it can be ANYWHERE in this mind-bogglingly large and complex universe is the way it appears to be in our tiny corner. No other ways can possibly exist!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timothy
On 10/27/2020 at 11:43 AM, InconceivableThoughts said:

I was going to attempt one but this put a stop to it. Your not from Alabama are you?

Please share your lame joke? 
People need a lift at the moment, and lame jokes are a great vessel for humility and being able to laugh at oneself! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.