Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

George Floyds case and trial

docyabut2

2 hours ago, susieice said:

The Blakely hearing opened today. The prosecution filed their points and the defense submitted their rebuttal. Chauvin will only be sentenced for the 2nd degree murder charge and since he has no prior arrest record, is now looking at a sentence of 12 1/2 years.

https://www.fox29.com/news/state-files-request-for-aggravated-sentence-for-derek-chauvin?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0oGTmDcKtwHTweNlvON-rub5AZ_JbB0PsZ7uer90K2EexyF77VW-eFUE0

Thats consistent with other similar cases in Minnesota. 12 years for unintentional 2nd degree murder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

Thats consistent with other similar cases in Minnesota. 12 years for unintentional 2nd degree murder.

I don't know if this is being carried live on Court TV or not. I'll check Monday morning. They've been showing other cases this week. I'm thinking they will air the sentencing. Hopefully the trial for the other three officers in August.

• Like 1

Chauvin's attorney filed today for a new trial. Court TV is not showing the Blakely hearing. 

https://abc7ny.com/10580653/?ex_cid=TA_WABC_FB&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A New Content (Feed)&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1kKW2xq-BBAAazdtaUPKHVGu2p-rVqx13Co1acZn29VTWKSz5Qvfb7ZJ4

The motion, filed by attorney Eric Nelson, cites factors including "the interests of justice; abuse of discretion that deprived the Defendant of a fair trial; prosecutorial and jury misconduct; errors of law at trial; and a verdict that is contrary to law."

Those include allegations of errors made by the judge, prosecutorial misconduct, witness intimidation and the impact of publicity.

"The publicity here was so pervasive and so prejudicial before and during this trial that it amounted to a structural defect in the proceedings," Nelson wrote.
The court also "abused its discretion" in not granting a change of venue or sequestering the jury, Nelson wrote.

Nelson also wrote the prosecutors committed misconduct "including but not limited to: disparaging the Defense; improper vouching; and failing to adequately prepare its witnesses."

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, WVK said:

Chauvin juror who attended pre-trial rally may jeopardize guilty verdict

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/may/3/brandon-mitchell-derek-chauvin-juror-who-attended-/

I just saw that too. He lied on the questionnaire. The NY Times doesn't seem to think this is going to matter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/04/us/chauvin-trial-juror.html

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, susieice said:

I just saw that too. He lied on the questionnaire. The NY Times doesn't seem to think this is going to matter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/04/us/chauvin-trial-juror.html

It matters people need to take civil obligations seriously if he lied he deserves full consequences for his actions.

However, bumbles like this do not change chauvins guilt and he will never see another free day, justice was done.

• Thanks 1

I agree this hiccup does nothing to make Chauvin less guilty. I just hope it doesn’t cloud the issue. It will be catastrophic if an appellate court overturns the conviction. A new trial would be disastrously expensive and who knows what a different jury would do? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Aaronsmom said:

I agree this hiccup does nothing to make Chauvin less guilty. I just hope it doesn’t cloud the issue. It will be catastrophic if an appellate court overturns the conviction. A new trial would be disastrously expensive and who knows what a different jury would do? 

on a contrary,  it would be a catastrophic not to have a retrial,  the jury was not impartial, that means his trial was not fair. if we let it stand due to politics,  then  foundation of our justice system is  destroyed,  which is a just fair trial, 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think you and I will have to agree to disagree, aztec. Personally, I don’t buy the argument that the jury convicted Chauvin due solely to political or social pressure. The jury arrived at the correct verdict. Derek Chauvin used prohibited restraint methods to pin Floyd face-down on the street and kept Floyd restrained like that for a ridiculous amount of time, even long after Floyd became unresponsive (which should’ve alerted police to a serious medical problem). The evidence make the facts inarguably, as the whole 9 1/2 minutes was documented on several different sources of video. The videos, plus eyewitness accounts and expert testimony made it clear that it was a case of murder. Nothing less. Chauvin did the crime so now he must do the time!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Aaronsmom said:

I think you and I will have to agree to disagree, aztec. Personally, I don’t buy the argument that the jury convicted Chauvin due solely to political or social pressure. The jury arrived at the correct verdict. Derek Chauvin used prohibited restraint methods to pin Floyd face-down on the street and kept Floyd restrained like that for a ridiculous amount of time, even long after Floyd became unresponsive (which should’ve alerted police to a serious medical problem). The evidence make the facts inarguably, as the whole 9 1/2 minutes was documented on several different sources of video. The videos, plus eyewitness accounts and expert testimony made it clear that it was a case of murder. Nothing less. Chauvin did the crime so now he must do the time!

true, but none of it matters,  integrity of entire justice system is much bigger than Floyd or Chauvin, and it is in jeopardy after impartial jury verdict.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Derek Chauvin sentenced to 22.5 years in prison for murder of George Floyd

Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer who murdered George Floyd, has been sentenced to 22 years and six months for second-degree murder.

The Guardian

Appropriate verdict I would say. 

• Like 3

On 5/5/2021 at 11:16 PM, Aaronsmom said:

I think you and I will have to agree to disagree, aztec. Personally, I don’t buy the argument that the jury convicted Chauvin due solely to political or social pressure. The jury arrived at the correct verdict.

I don’t know if it was the soul reason, but it most definitely was a reason, and that alone is more than enough for a successful repeal. In fact the trial should have been declared a mistrial. We can’t make exceptions to the law because of how it will make people feel. 

On 5/5/2021 at 11:16 PM, Aaronsmom said:

Derek Chauvin used prohibited restraint methods to pin Floyd face-down on the street and kept Floyd restrained like that for a ridiculous amount of time, even long after Floyd became unresponsive (which should’ve alerted police to a serious medical problem). The evidence make the facts inarguably, as the whole 9 1/2 minutes was documented on several different sources of video. The videos, plus eyewitness accounts and expert testimony made it clear that it was a case of murder. Nothing less. Chauvin did the crime so now he must do the time!

It wasn’t a prohibited restraint method. It was a by the book restraint method. The defense showed video of training exercises that teach officers to do exactly what he did, for the exact reasons he did it. It was bad training. 

I have come to the conclusion that he is responsible though. Bad training or not, it was clear to see what he was doing was a bad idea. The state should be held responsible as well though. They taught him to do what he did. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

It wasn’t a prohibited restraint method. It was a by the book restraint method. The defense showed video of training exercises that teach officers to do exactly what he did, for the exact reasons he did it. It was bad training. 

I work in law enforcement.  Even if it was a legal restraint method that he was trained on, a use of force is supposed to end as quickly as possible.  The suspect was cuffed, the officers had full control, and they had sufficient numbers to control one suspect.  What else needed to occur for the restraint to be ended?  9 1/2 minutes of perfect conditions as it pertains to a use of force event, yet it still continued.  What needed to occur for Chauvin to remove his knee?  I think that is the core issue at hand.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Any bets on how long he survives?

• Like 1

A bit longer then I thought he'd get, but he deserves it.

President Biden on Friday said that the 22 1/2-year prison sentence handed down to former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin for the murder of George Floyd seemed "appropriate." I don't know all the circumstances that were considered but it seems to me, under the guidelines, that seems to be appropriate," Biden told reporters on Friday afternoon when asked to react to the sentence during an Oval Office meeting with Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-calls-chauvin-sentence-appropriate/ar-AALsqlk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, and then said:

Any bets on how long he survives?

Depends if he is willing to become some ones princess lol

3 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Depends if he is willing to become some ones princess lol

Insert kneeling joke here...

Or, is it too early still?

9 hours ago, Agent0range said:

I work in law enforcement.  Even if it was a legal restraint method that he was trained on, a use of force is supposed to end as quickly as possible.  The suspect was cuffed, the officers had full control, and they had sufficient numbers to control one suspect.  What else needed to occur for the restraint to be ended?  9 1/2 minutes of perfect conditions as it pertains to a use of force event, yet it still continued.  What needed to occur for Chauvin to remove his knee?  I think that is the core issue at hand.

Yeah I agree. Bad training or not, he could have used common senses. The guy clearly wasn’t a threat. 

Really we can’t even be sure what killed him. The drugs, the knee, the combination of both? 

Bottom line though, it was obvious the knee was unnecessary. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Yeah I agree. Bad training or not, he could have used common senses. The guy clearly wasn’t a threat. 

Really we can’t even be sure what killed him. The drugs, the knee, the combination of both? 

We can never be sure of anything. 

We do know, beyond reasonable doubt, that Chauvin deliberately killed Floyd by kneeling on his neck. Because that is what the jury determined and that is what juries do.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Setton said:

We can never be sure of anything. 

We do know, beyond reasonable doubt, that Chauvin deliberately killed Floyd by kneeling on his neck. Because that is what the jury determined and that is what juries do.

We know, beyond any doubt, that the evidence weighed wasn’t the only factor in at least one juror’s decision. 

We also know one juror lied in order to gain a seat on the jury. 

In any other case this would have been more than enough to call for a mistrial. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I could only agree with that sentence if it was certain that he intentionally kiiled him in front of all those people. If floyd would have just listened and not  kept struggling , he wouldn't have been on the street in the first place. From the video it seemed to me that him and the other cops were at least partly distracted by the people that kept comming and walking up , as they could be a threat as well . Dangerous business being a cop.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, razman said:

I could only agree with that sentence if it was certain that he intentionally kiiled him in front of all those people. If floyd would have just listened and not  kept struggling , he wouldn't have been on the street in the first place. From the video it seemed to me that him and the other cops were at least partly distracted by the people that kept comming and walking up , as they could be a threat as well . Dangerous business being a cop.

That's what a trial is there for. And it has determined that, taking all of that into account, he did intentionally kill Floyd.

So we do know. End of story. That is the law.

• Confused 1

• 2 years later...

Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer convicted of murdering George Floyd, was stabbed by another inmate and seriously injured Friday at a federal prison in Arizona, a person familiar with the matter told The Associated Press.

The attack happened at the Federal Correctional Institution, Tucson, a medium-security prison that has been plagued by security lapses and staffing shortages. The person was not authorized to publicly discuss details of the attack and spoke to the AP on the condition of anonymity.

The Bureau of Prisons confirmed that an incarcerated person was assaulted at FCI Tucson at around 12:30 p.m. local time Friday.

AP News report at MSN

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer convicted of murdering George Floyd, was stabbed by another inmate and seriously injured Friday at a federal prison in Arizona, a person familiar with the matter told The Associated Press.

The attack happened at the Federal Correctional Institution, Tucson, a medium-security prison that has been plagued by security lapses and staffing shortages. The person was not authorized to publicly discuss details of the attack and spoke to the AP on the condition of anonymity.

The Bureau of Prisons confirmed that an incarcerated person was assaulted at FCI Tucson at around 12:30 p.m. local time Friday.

AP News report at MSN

I thought they kept cops seperate from general population.