Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
docyabut2

George Floyds case and trial

835 posts in this topic

DieChecker
2 hours ago, susieice said:

The Blakely hearing opened today. The prosecution filed their points and the defense submitted their rebuttal. Chauvin will only be sentenced for the 2nd degree murder charge and since he has no prior arrest record, is now looking at a sentence of 12 1/2 years.

https://www.fox29.com/news/state-files-request-for-aggravated-sentence-for-derek-chauvin?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0oGTmDcKtwHTweNlvON-rub5AZ_JbB0PsZ7uer90K2EexyF77VW-eFUE0

Thats consistent with other similar cases in Minnesota. 12 years for unintentional 2nd degree murder.

• Like 1

susieice
1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

Thats consistent with other similar cases in Minnesota. 12 years for unintentional 2nd degree murder.

I don't know if this is being carried live on Court TV or not. I'll check Monday morning. They've been showing other cases this week. I'm thinking they will air the sentencing. Hopefully the trial for the other three officers in August.

• Like 1

susieice
Posted (edited)

Chauvin's attorney filed today for a new trial. Court TV is not showing the Blakely hearing. 

https://abc7ny.com/10580653/?ex_cid=TA_WABC_FB&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A New Content (Feed)&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1kKW2xq-BBAAazdtaUPKHVGu2p-rVqx13Co1acZn29VTWKSz5Qvfb7ZJ4

The motion, filed by attorney Eric Nelson, cites factors including "the interests of justice; abuse of discretion that deprived the Defendant of a fair trial; prosecutorial and jury misconduct; errors of law at trial; and a verdict that is contrary to law."

Those include allegations of errors made by the judge, prosecutorial misconduct, witness intimidation and the impact of publicity.

"The publicity here was so pervasive and so prejudicial before and during this trial that it amounted to a structural defect in the proceedings," Nelson wrote.
The court also "abused its discretion" in not granting a change of venue or sequestering the jury, Nelson wrote.

Nelson also wrote the prosecutors committed misconduct "including but not limited to: disparaging the Defense; improper vouching; and failing to adequately prepare its witnesses."

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

susieice
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, WVK said:

Chauvin juror who attended pre-trial rally may jeopardize guilty verdict

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/may/3/brandon-mitchell-derek-chauvin-juror-who-attended-/

I just saw that too. He lied on the questionnaire. The NY Times doesn't seem to think this is going to matter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/04/us/chauvin-trial-juror.html

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

the13bats
5 hours ago, susieice said:

I just saw that too. He lied on the questionnaire. The NY Times doesn't seem to think this is going to matter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/04/us/chauvin-trial-juror.html

It matters people need to take civil obligations seriously if he lied he deserves full consequences for his actions.

However, bumbles like this do not change chauvins guilt and he will never see another free day, justice was done.

• Thanks 1

Aaronsmom

I agree this hiccup does nothing to make Chauvin less guilty. I just hope it doesn’t cloud the issue. It will be catastrophic if an appellate court overturns the conviction. A new trial would be disastrously expensive and who knows what a different jury would do? 

• Like 2

aztek
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Aaronsmom said:

I agree this hiccup does nothing to make Chauvin less guilty. I just hope it doesn’t cloud the issue. It will be catastrophic if an appellate court overturns the conviction. A new trial would be disastrously expensive and who knows what a different jury would do? 

on a contrary,  it would be a catastrophic not to have a retrial,  the jury was not impartial, that means his trial was not fair. if we let it stand due to politics,  then  foundation of our justice system is  destroyed,  which is a just fair trial, 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aaronsmom

I think you and I will have to agree to disagree, aztec. Personally, I don’t buy the argument that the jury convicted Chauvin due solely to political or social pressure. The jury arrived at the correct verdict. Derek Chauvin used prohibited restraint methods to pin Floyd face-down on the street and kept Floyd restrained like that for a ridiculous amount of time, even long after Floyd became unresponsive (which should’ve alerted police to a serious medical problem). The evidence make the facts inarguably, as the whole 9 1/2 minutes was documented on several different sources of video. The videos, plus eyewitness accounts and expert testimony made it clear that it was a case of murder. Nothing less. Chauvin did the crime so now he must do the time!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

aztek
12 hours ago, Aaronsmom said:

I think you and I will have to agree to disagree, aztec. Personally, I don’t buy the argument that the jury convicted Chauvin due solely to political or social pressure. The jury arrived at the correct verdict. Derek Chauvin used prohibited restraint methods to pin Floyd face-down on the street and kept Floyd restrained like that for a ridiculous amount of time, even long after Floyd became unresponsive (which should’ve alerted police to a serious medical problem). The evidence make the facts inarguably, as the whole 9 1/2 minutes was documented on several different sources of video. The videos, plus eyewitness accounts and expert testimony made it clear that it was a case of murder. Nothing less. Chauvin did the crime so now he must do the time!

true, but none of it matters,  integrity of entire justice system is much bigger than Floyd or Chauvin, and it is in jeopardy after impartial jury verdict.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1