Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Baby gorilla hand-reared by zookeepers

Still Waters

Zookeepers in the British city of Bristol are giving a baby gorilla round-the-clock care, including bottle feeding through the night, as his mother has been struggling to look after him.

The team of keepers at Bristol Zoo Gardens said that the baby, now two months old but still unnamed, was not getting enough milk from his mother, Kala, to survive and would now be hand-reared for the next four months.

"Hand-rearing any animal is not a decision we take lightly as our preference is always for an animal to be reared naturally by its own mother," Lynsey Bugg, mammals curator at the zoo, said in a statement.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/22/europe/baby-gorilla-zookeepers-scli-intl-gbr/index.html

There's a vdeo in the above link.

• Like 1

There's one at our zoo who's mother died, so he was raised by humans, which led to some pretty hilarious personality traits. He hates gorillas, he thinks he's a person. He loves to interact with you. He'll put his hand on the glass and isn't satisfied until I do it, too. He used to try to intimidate me, but when he saw I didn't respond, he now just likes me. He sits there and blows Raspberries at me while I work, or just sits there quietly munching on lettuce and watching me work. He makes all kinds of great sounds. 

Funniest thing I've ever seen him do was he was on display in front of everyone, eating a head of lettuce. He didn't seem to like being watched while he's eating, so he kept looking up at everyone, visibly angry. He finally got mad, tossed the head of lettuce behind his head and ran back inside. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

[...] He hates gorillas, he thinks he's a person. [...]

IMHO its far stretched. How do you know he hates gorillas?

BTW, what do you mean by "person"?

• Confused 1

Because I am around him quite a bit and see how he interacts with them? I also speak with his keepers pretty much every day.