Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Dustyrose33

Spitting Spider

Dustyrose33

Recently I saw on Nat Geo Wild a show involving predatory insects, and one was what I think what's called a spitting spider.   I didn't provide a link because I could not find a spider that fit the description of what I saw.   This spider (?) located a prey insect and began "shooting in rapid succession" from it's head squirts of venom.   It fired many times from each side of it's head with less than a second between each squirt.   The prey was hit with no chance of escape or survival.   Then the attacker's body was shown to emit a white vapor from it's body similar to smoke seen coming from a gun after being fired.   I've never seen anything like that.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

HandsomeGorilla

Scytodes is the genus you're thinking of. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scytodes

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

khol

Spiders are fascinating animals. 8 legs, multiple eyes. They build these incredible structured webs. Traps and different techniques are used to ambush prey. Heres picture of Scytodes Thoracica ( common spitting spider)   ...so cool

large.jpg

• Like 1

HandsomeGorilla

By the way, their venom really isn't bothersome enough to worry about. They can't quite bite deep enough, I think. They're common and very cool spiders, here. I know of where five are right now at work lol. Their habits and general appearance often lead uneducated people to kill them because they resemble a brown recluse. 

• Like 1