Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK child killer to be released

Eldorado

A mother who was jailed in 2013 for killing her six children in a fire is to be released from prison, the BBC understands.

Mairead Philpott, 39, was jailed for 17 years for the manslaughter of her children at her home in Derby.

Jade Philpott, 10, and brothers John, nine, Jack, seven, Jesse, six, and Jayden, five, died on the morning of the blaze on 11 May 2012.

Duwayne, who was 13, died three days later in hospital.

Full report at the BBC: Link

Allenton house fire: Wikipedia

• Sad 5

If I had a say in it, I'd try and give her the death penalty, after all, that's what she sentenced her children to.

• Like 1

I remember watching a documentary about the murders it was truly heart breaking.  

• Like 1

Looks like she did her time, so the issue was the original sentence, I guess.

I would not want to live with that on my conscience though.

Back when I was a cop there were some crimes I really never did want to understand, and harming a child is one of those.

• Like 2

Okay, so do they like announce the date and time and which prison exit she will be frolicking through? If so im guessing someone might just go chat with her

The Daily Mail says the taxpayer will pay thousands of pounds in costs to keep her in a hostel with a new identity. She's not a popular woman.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8876173/Mairead-Philpott-released-prison-half-way-17-year-jail-term.html

But the move has been slammed by the Centre For Crime Prevention think-tank which said: 'This is not justice.' 

Philpott, along with husband Mick and friend Paul Mosley, burnt down the family's three-bedroom council house in 2012 in a bid to get a bigger home.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mick Philpott had already served time for attempted murder of an ex partner.  He is a very dangerous man.  I will never understand women that knowingly enter relationships with people like him.  Everything is about what Mick wants regardless who gets hurt unfortunately in this case it was innocent children.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1