Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Image Resizer for UM?

acute

Hello there!  You may have seen me on here before. :D

Ok, here's the problem.....

As we all know, posting images on UM is a gigantic pain in the anal sphincter.

I've been looking for a suitable (free!) image resizing app, but every one I've tried asks you to specify a pixel size, a percentage, or some other unnecessarily complicated crap.

So.....

Does anyone know of a resizer that allows you to specify the target file-size?

• Like 2

Try this... 

Compress and resize images & photos in JPEG format online with lossless or lossy compression ... With this free online image optimizer, you can optimize the photos of yourself captured ...

JPEG-Optimizer is a free online tool for resizing and compressing your digital photos and images for displaying on the web in forums or blogs, ...

~

Please be patient. Step 1: Click on the browse button and select a digital photo from your computer that you wish to optimize. Step 2: Select the compression level between 0-99 that you want to apply to the image. A low compression level will result in a much smaller filesize but image quality will be lower.

~

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, acute said:

Hello there!  You may have seen me on here before. :D

Ok, here's the problem.....

As we all know, posting images on UM is a gigantic pain in the anal sphincter.

I've been looking for a suitable (free!) image resizing app, but every one I've tried asks you to specify a pixel size, a percentage, or some other unnecessarily complicated crap.

So.....

Does anyone know of a resizer that allows you to specify the target file-size?

To recommend an 'app' we need to know what you are using.. phone - android or I-phone, Computer / tablet - Windows, Mac, Linux..?

Unfortunately, image resizing is slightly complex. Plus when you see an image file, there is no guarantee that what you are seeing is the *actual* file size anyway.  It can be resized by the webpage it appears on, or by you resizing your view..

So it sorta helps to understand:
- what is the actual size of the image, in pixels?  Generally, for posting on a forum you should avoid anything over 1000 pixels in width or height.  Aim for about 400-900 pixels on the longest dimension, depending on image content.
- the quality at which the image is saved also helps reduce file size, but at the expense of quality.  A good compromise is a 70% quality rate for a typical JPEG (.jpg) file.

For me, I generally don't try to resize images on my phone... I use a laptop, Win10, and the shareware program XnView (free for private use).

If you can point to the offending image somewhere, I'm happy to offer a free service of resizing it and posting or pm-ing it..

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@ChrLzs

Thanks for the offer of resizing, but I can (eventually) do it myself.  It's never straightforward, though.

What I want is an Android app where I can say '245kb' and that's what I get.

Surely, there's one out there somewhere.

?

Edited by acute

17 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

when you see an image file, there is no guarantee that what you are seeing is the *actual* file size anyway.  It can be resized by the webpage it appears on, or by you resizing your view..

I'm refering to the 'Choose Files' option that uploads from your device.

Obviously, the image needs to be 245kb or less.

Edited by acute

Hi @acute,

I use BatchResizer2 on iPhone, it’s also available on android. It’s free on iPhone.

It doesn’t let you set a file size, but it lets you set resolution and will show you the file size on the thumbnails and is quite easy to use.

• Like 3

Most resizing options don't give you an initial option for file size.  May I suggest that you don't get an app, but just go here to Adobe's free service:

https://photoshop.adobe.com/?promoid=SYBNM1DC&mv=other

You can upload an image, and then ask it to be resized either by pixels or percentage. (IGNORE the file size you see as you resize, as that is the UNcompressed file size.)

Then Download the result (choose JPG), and as you do so it will show you the compressed file size AND you can adjust the quality and see what size it will be...  You'll quickly get a feel for the amount of resizing you need to get it under the 240Kb - if the image has a lot of detail, it will not compress down in size as much.

• Like 3

Paint, Windows own default image editor, has a simple resize option. You can choose between percent and pixels.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zep73 said:

Paint, Windows own default image editor, has a simple resize option. You can choose between percent and pixels.

Read post #1!

Percentage and pixels is exactly what I don't want. :lol:

• The topic was locked