Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Way To Sharpen Video on Windows 10?

acute

Hello, everyone! You may have seen me on UM in the past.

:D

My problem of the day is.....

I have a 30-minute video recorded in typical VHS quality, and it needs sharpening up somewhat.

Does anyone (That's YOU!) know of a way, either online or using Windows 10, to unblur an mpeg file?  No fancy editing tools --- just a sharpening utility.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, acute said:

Hello, everyone! You may have seen me on UM in the past.

Nope.  Or at least I don't recall - perhaps you just aren't memorable..?

13 minutes ago, acute said:

My problem of the day is.....

I have a 30-minute video recorded in typical VHS quality, and it needs sharpening up somewhat.

Does anyone (That's YOU!) know of a way, either online or using Windows 10, to unblur an mpeg file?  No fancy editing tools --- just a sharpening utility.

1.  If this is for UM purposes, ie if you are wanting analysis, do NOT, NOT, NOT attempt to sharpen or 'enhance' the video.  You will simply add false details, or remove detail that might be important.  Sharpening an image is hard enough for a still image.. it's harder on video.  There is no free lunch, and in general terms only tiny amounts of sharpening will actually help in any way - it will more usually make it worse.

2. This one might help, but it's not something I've used - frankly, I would leave this sort of thing to the experts, as if you overdo it or use the wrong technique you will make it worse...

oh, and ..

3. I am NOT annoyingly pessimistic - just years of painful experience... :P 

• Like 2

Maybe you know some who can put the video on the VHS onto a DVD, just by doing that you get a clearer and sharper video

• Like 2

@ChrLzs

No, it's not a blurred Bigfoot video, it's just for entertainment.

It definitely needs more contrast, but I think it could also do with sharpening slightly.

Thanks for the link.

4 hours ago, MissJatti said:

Maybe you know some who can put the video on the VHS onto a DVD, just by doing that you get a clearer and sharper video

It has already been transferred to disc.

1 hour ago, bmk1245 said:

PS don't know if you'll consider ffmpeg fancy tool :rolleyes:

Way too complicated for me, I'm afraid.

Thanks, anyway. :tu:

If watching on computer VLC media player is free and has options for contrast and sharpness during playback and will save the adjusted video.

Just to state the obvious If watching on TV via disc player its worth playing with picture controls as the TV will give quite a big range of sharpening and so on.   

https://www.videolan.org/index.en-GB.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

If watching on computer VLC media player is free and has options for contrast and sharpness during playback and will save the adjusted video.

That's interesting. I use VLC.

Does it save the adjusted video, or save the settings for the next time you watch it?

4 minutes ago, acute said:

That's interesting. I use VLC.

Does it save the adjusted video, or save the settings for the next time you watch it?

It appears to save the adjusted video, I have saved short video of an air display with slower frame rate and the new frame rate is used on playback. That was saving to a memory stick and then plugged into TV. 

The only problem I have found with VLC is that it sometimes does not like what I am attempting to do and then crashes but this does not affect the original video file. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, acute said:

^ Ok, thanks.  I'll look into it. :tu:

I use Vdub and Vdubmod to sharpen videos.

vdub-Trump.png

Edited by TigerBright19
  • Like 1

@TigerBright19

Can you help me out, please?

I've got Vdub in a folder on the desktop, and I've downloaded an MP4 plugin and warpsharp, and put them in the same folder.

(I thought my video was MPEG, but it's MP4)

When I start Vdub, I can drag & drop my video and it appears ready for editing.

But..... where's the 'sharpen' option?

1 hour ago, acute said:

@TigerBright19

Can you help me out, please?

I've got Vdub in a folder on the desktop, and I've downloaded an MP4 plugin and warpsharp, and put them in the same folder.

(I thought my video was MPEG, but it's MP4)

When I start Vdub, I can drag & drop my video and it appears ready for editing.

But..... where's the 'sharpen' option?

There are several free filters online.  The one I use can be downloaded here:

(scroll to bottom of page to download zip file)

http://compression.ru/video/smart_sharpen/index_en.html

Insert the VDF file into the plugins folder (32 or 64 folder depending on your system).

Open VDub and select video - filters - add - load - msu_sharpen.vdf (located in plugins folder).  This adds the filter to the list.  Scroll down and select MSU Smart Sharpen 1.4, and when the filter is open you can change the setting from 'small overall' to higher level.  The one I used above with Trump was 'Overall and borders'.

Also remember to click the play button with the little (0) next to it to enable the filter, and if you wish to compress the file to a smaller size click video - compression - select a good codec to compress the video and keep the quality at a good level e.g. I use Xvid codec, and finally click File - Save as AVI, and your new video is ready.

Edited by TigerBright19
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, TigerBright19 said:

Insert the VDF file into the plugins folder (32 or 64 folder depending on your system).

I've downloaded msu_sharpen, but when I try to load it, it says that it's not valid for Win32.

(My system is Win64, so I got the AMD64 release of Vdub)

Edited by acute

51 minutes ago, acute said:

I've downloaded msu_sharpen, but when I try to load it, it says that it's not valid for Win32.

(My system is Win64, so I got the AMD64 release of Vdub)

That is strange.  I use a 64-bit computer and my Vdub folder has a subfolder called plugins32 and plugins64.  I just dragged the msu sharpen file into the 64 folder and loaded the filter in Vdub.  My Vdub is version 1.10.4

1 minute ago, TigerBright19 said:

That is strange.  I use a 64-bit computer and my Vdub folder has a subfolder called plugins32 and plugins64.  I just dragged the msu sharpen file into the 64 folder and loaded the filter in Vdub.  My Vdub is version 1.10.4

Yep!  I don't know what to do next. :D

12 minutes ago, acute said:

Same here.

Is your system an original 64-bit machine or an upgrade from 32 to 64 bit?  I have heard of various software packages that can't detect the upgrade, or there could be compatibility issues between the hardware and software.

Edited by TigerBright19
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TigerBright19 said:

Is your system an original 64-bit machine

My laptop came with Windows 10 Home, 64-bit.

1 minute ago, acute said:

My laptop came with Windows 10 Home, 64-bit.

That is a mystery.  :unsure2:  Perhaps another filter will work?

Just now, TigerBright19 said:

That is a mystery.  :unsure2:  Perhaps another filter will work?

I'll keep messing with it.

Thank you very very much for your help.  :tsu:

1 hour ago, acute said:

I'll keep messing with it.

Thank you very very much for your help.  :tsu:

Just a head's up, "resampling" , "sharpening" is not the same as "remastering"

Depending on the hardware and how it is set up, dedicated resources to Vdub for example, be prepared to let the process take its time, for a half hour clip, that could be well over 24hours. I say that because we know what becomes of you when you have to wait for the computer. 

~

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, third_eye said:

we know what becomes of you when you have to wait for the computer.

:huh:

• Haha 1