Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
UM-Bot

New study targets $10k quadrillion asteroi

Nuclear Wessel

Asteroids are going to be the future of mining.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Jon the frog
1 minute ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

To bring a lot of material from a planet against the gravitational pull is quite hard., asteroid could be the best place to find the materials needed to construct a space outpost and giant spaceship.

• Like 2

AstralHorus

Or make one corporation or govt absurdly rich.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

OverSword
3 minutes ago, AstralHorus said:

Or make one corporation or govt absurdly rich.....

This is why I say all these space treaties are a big joke.  Corporations won't sign on and in the next 100 years will hold far more wealth and power than every entity on the planet combined.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nuclear Wessel
1 hour ago, Jon the frog said:

To bring a lot of material from a planet against the gravitational pull is quite hard., asteroid could be the best place to find the materials needed to construct a space outpost and giant spaceship.

I imagine our first massive space ship will be built on the moon. I am imagining some kind of factory extending outwards from its surface, and the materials will be gathered from asteroids.

• Like 1

AstralHorus
2 hours ago, OverSword said:

This is why I say all these space treaties are a big joke.  Corporations won't sign on and in the next 100 years will hold far more wealth and power than every entity on the planet combined.

Yup basically will be first come first serve, who will be rich or powerful enough to go up and stop you? The us govt? Pretty sure bezos could easily overstep them at this point. 

Seti42

If we're still here in 100-200 years, I'm pretty sure some megacorp will claim it and use it to build a solar-system wide plutocracy.

Wreck7
15 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

As a person who has worked around mines and mining for a long time I can tell you this, If you can discover a way to control dust in a zero G vacuum...you'll be rich. Until that problem is solved, I don't see mining in space happening. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RoofGardener

I dunno. The technical challenges of building a factory on the asteroid, and getting the metals back to earth - are formidable.

Would it actually be cost effective ?

thelion318

No one understands finance.  If that much supply was brought to Earth, the value would plummet.

• Thanks 2

Phatty

If everyone became a billionaire then a loaf of bread would cost a trillion.

• Like 1

glorybebe

This makes me think of arhe Expanse.  Mining in space makes more sense for colonization, we only have a finite amount of resources on Earth.  

Grey Area

Doing an asteroid redirect and having some sort of orbital factory process the contents seems practical at a first glance.

when you look at it from an economical perspective, flooding the global markets with any resource will result in chaos, look at the steel market and how China has completely screwed the price of steel by flooding the market.

Global economics will need to radically change, because the people who invest the billions into developing the tech and expertise to make this happen will find their untold riches quickly diminishing in value.

SmartAZ

Anything found in space has to be used in space. The cost of flying material down to the surface is more than the material is worth, even very costly material.