Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First-ever footage of a ram's horn squid

Still Waters

Ram's horn shells are small, delicate spiral structures beachcombers can commonly find throughout the world.

Yet despite their ubiquity, the original owners of these shells are extremely elusive. Until now, we've never had footage of a single one in the wild.

In the twilight zone of our oceans, at the tips of sunlight's fingers, a remotely operated vehicle (ROV) has now delivered the first footage of a ram's horn squid (Spirula spirula) in its natural habitat.

This strange-looking cephalopod is a wee little thing barely 7 centimetres (under 3 inches) in length, with eight arms, two tentacles, a pair of bulging eyes, and a general muppet-like appearance.

https://www.sciencealert.com/first-ever-deep-sea-footage-of-a-ram-s-horn-squid-has-scientists-freaking-out

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Wow the shell are  more or less inside them, not like a nautilus !

Cuttlefish are the same. My parrott loved chewing on cuttlefish bones.

cuttlefish from en.wikipedia.org

Cuttlefish or cuttles are marine molluscs of the order Sepiida. They belong to the class Cephalopoda, which also includes squid, octopuses, and nautiluses. Cuttlefish have a unique internal shell, the cuttlebone, which is used for control of buoyancy.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Cuttlefish are the same. My parrott loved chewing on cuttlefish bones.

cuttlefish from en.wikipedia.org

Cuttlefish or cuttles are marine molluscs of the order Sepiida. They belong to the class Cephalopoda, which also includes squid, octopuses, and nautiluses. Cuttlefish have a unique internal shell, the cuttlebone, which is used for control of buoyancy.

At first sight of the spiralled shell, i was thinking about an ammonite ! But damn, the shell was not that big related to the tissue part...  Some structure are present in other camalari too.

Ammonite Facts | What Are Ammonites? | DK Find Out

• Thanks 1

Another one where you wonder if they're from another planet. I love squid. 

They're so delicious, too. 

Edited by HandsomeGorilla