Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Zealand Votes To Legalise Euthanasia

Arbenol

New Zealand has voted to legalise euthanasia in what campaigners call "a victory for compassion and kindness".

Preliminary referendum results showed 65.2% of voters supported the End of Life Choice Act 2019 coming into force as a new law.

It will allow terminally ill people, with less than six months to live, the opportunity to choose assisted dying if approved by two doctors.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54728717

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Arbenol said:

New Zealand has voted to legalise euthanasia in what campaigners call "a victory for compassion and kindness".

Preliminary referendum results showed 65.2% of voters supported the End of Life Choice Act 2019 coming into force as a new law.

It will allow terminally ill people, with less than six months to live, the opportunity to choose assisted dying if approved by two doctors.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54728717

I am very glad to hear this, all people should have that choice. I have watched a family member wither away, in severe pain and sickness.:( In my opinion nothing could be more degrading and terrible, again congratulations to New Zealand for doing the right thing. :tu:

After going through it myself, I would never wish such a thing on anyone else.:no:

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I am very glad to hear this, all people should have that choice. I have watched a family member wither away, in severe pain and sickness.:( In my opinion nothing could be more degrading and terrible, again congratulations to New Zealand for doing the right thing. :tu:

After going through it myself, I would never wish such a thing on anyone else.:no:

I'm also pleased with this outcome. Even more so that it wasn't even a close vote. 

The cannabis vote was more 50/50 with a narrow win for the 'no' vote. 

I voted 'yes' for both. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Arbenol said:

I'm also pleased with this outcome. Even more so that it wasn't even a close vote. 

The cannabis vote was more 50/50 with a narrow win for the 'no' vote. 

I voted 'yes' for both. 

I am currently living in South Korea, but I am still a resident of Washington State. Cannabis has been legal there since 2013, but euthanasia is still illegal in the United States due to the Religious Organizations that keep fighting it. I truly wish those people would have to sit and watch a loved one wither away and die in pain, that would change their opinion, sorry for saying it but it needs to be said.

Thanks for the thread, I appreciate it knowing some countries are using good judgement makes me see hope for America in the future.

2 minutes ago, seanjo said:

I fear for the old and vulnerable.

Yes, just a few years from now New Zealand will be like Logan’s Run.

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, seanjo said:

I see the offspring of elderly folk bullying and harassing burdensome folk into making a decision.

I wonder what the safe-guards will be, will it go the way of abortions and become a commodity?

I think you comments are just an extension of your own mind and how you would attempt to handle the situation. In these cases those who are sick and in pain make the decision to end their lives themselves, no one  else makes those decisions. This situation in no way compares to the abortion issues that countries face, I certainly do not understand what your thinking at all!!:(

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Certainly in the UK, when abortions became legal, they were mean't for women that needed them for important reasons and two doctors had to verify that need. Now though they are just another commodity, like hair salons where you can make an appointment and walk in. I fear euthanasia will go down a similar path, where the person to be killed will get little choice in the matter.

I would seriously doubt that, unless they have signed a DNR or Do Not Recessitate. This is common practice in the United States for terminally ill patients. They make the decision that if they stop breathing no further action will be taken, these orders are notarized by an Attorney and in most cases given to a family member. 

I think that everyone has the right to Euthanasia if they choose it in terminal cases. I also suspect that in this case no one will be able to make that decision except the individual themselves. Though it may come to a point where a terminal patient may be able give the authority to a loved one, in case the person becomes in capable of making the decision themselves. 

But, again there would most likely be notarized documents from an Attorney from the patient giving that authority to another. It all comes down to a simple fact, no one should have to suffer if they choose not too when their condition is terminal. I hope you never have to live through a situation like that, my experience certainly changed the way I think about this forever.:(

Just now, seanjo said:

I agree no-one should have to suffer, but no matter what the safe-guards when people have become used to this being available, when it becomes the norm, it will be abused and people that do not want to die will be killed.

My parents are practising Catholics and would never submit to this, and I would never agree to it.

The reason this law has not passed in the USA is because of Religious Groups. No offense to your beliefs, however, religious beliefs are fine for those who choose to follow them, but they should not be imposed upon those who choose not to follow those beliefs. At least now I understand why you keep bringing abortion into this issue, it is another area where religious beliefs were once imposed upon the population in America. 

Thanks for clearing that up for me, now I understand what your concerns are, again no offense to what you choose to beleive.

Take Care 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2020 at 5:25 AM, seanjo said:

I see the offspring of elderly folk bullying and harassing burdensome folk into making a decision.

I wonder what the safe-guards will be, will it go the way of abortions and become a commodity?

You would have to read the article to find that out.

There are a number of criteria a person must meet to ask for assisted dying. These include:

• suffering from a terminal illness that's likely to end their life within six months
  • showing a significant decline in physical capability
  • being able to make an informed decision about assisted dying

The legislation authorises a doctor or nurse to administer or prescribe a lethal dose of medication to be taken under their supervision if all the conditions are met.

The law also says a person cannot be eligible for assisted dying on the basis of advanced age, mental illness, or disability alone.

21 minutes ago, ethereal_scout said:

So, a vote for death but not life.

And why do you think you have the right to make the decision of life and death for another person?

You've lost me......

I don't to the best of my knowledge. Simply pointing out that the NZ population is skewed in favour of death/euthanasia but not peoples civil liberties.

Out of two referendum "killing" the other person won. 

On 10/30/2020 at 12:58 AM, Manwon Lender said:

I am currently living in South Korea, but I am still a resident of Washington State. Cannabis has been legal there since 2013, but euthanasia is still illegal in the United States due to the Religious Organizations that keep fighting it. I truly wish those people would have to sit and watch a loved one wither away and die in pain, that would change their opinion, sorry for saying it but it needs to be said.

Thanks for the thread, I appreciate it knowing some countries are using good judgement makes me see hope for America in the future.

More states seem to be coming around to it..

Assisted suicide/assisted death is legal in Washington, D.C. and the states of California, Colorado, Oregon, Vermont, Maine, New Jersey, Hawaii, and Washington; its status is disputed in Montana, though currently authorized per the Montana Supreme Court's ruling in Baxter v.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ethereal_scout said:

You've lost me......

I don't to the best of my knowledge. Simply pointing out that the NZ population is skewed in favour of death/euthanasia but not peoples civil liberties.

Out of two referendum "killing" the other person won. 

Certainly letting someone make their autonomous decision about if they should continue suffering or not is in favour of civil liberties?