Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How does AP feel compared to LD?

NateRiver

I know the difference between astral projection and lucid dreaming, but do they feel different? Does one feel more realistic than the other?

• Like 2

It's the same thing except a measure of belief.

• Like 1

In my experience it’s completely different. Projection feels a lot more like waking consciousness. Much more clarity. Everything I choose to do, or places I choose to visit are all under my control. Little things are different as well. Like going to reach for something and having your hand go right through it. That’s never happened to me in a dream. Happens all the time in projection. 

When I become lucid in a dream, it’s still dream like. The craziest things can still happen. Sometimes it gets so dream like crazy I forget that I was lucid and continue the dream as though I had never become aware. Maybe my lucid dream skills aren’t very good.

• Like 1

Whereas for me, they are identical.

But ive been controlling lucid dreaming since i was young, (1950s)  constructing narratives,  characters scenes  etc.,   even before i go to sleep.

All my dreams and projections of consciousness are as real in every way as a waking experience.

The y include tastes,  feeling, smells etc. I can read etc in them BUT because  i know i am dreaming and anything is possible in a dream,  then i can make anything happen  including flying, walking through walls, etc.,  just by an exercise of will.  I can go anywhere/ anytime, including across the galaxy, or back in time to live in different historical periods;  OR live as a part /character of books or movies etc. 

So for me, the only way to be sure if something is a projection of my consciousness in real time, rather than just a constructed lucid dream Is to  check and verify what i observed, using outside sources.

Ps one difference  i just thought of.

Projection of consciousness always involves  conscious travel either a short distance or a long one There is thus a starting point (my current home bedroom)  and  direction/destination. I can describe what i saw along the way, and when i arrived.

In projection my disembodied consciousness does nothing but observe and sometimes connect into a character to see through their senses  I am basically invisible incorporeal and  all  I can see of my body  (if anything) is my hands in a diving position to  reduce air friction or perhaps maintain stability in flight

Yes i know its illogical, if your body is immaterial, but your mind needs a logical  framework, even in dreams  Maybe it's because that is how superman flew in my childhood memories 

Adventures Of Superman - Color Flying With Superman - YouTube

Superman and the Mole-Men | Scifist

Other dreams are more varied. The y can start, finish, and occur, anywhere. 

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

The two are linked, but they happen on different levels of conciousness. A dream even a lucid one is happening during rem or none rem sleep. Yes you can dream during non rem. The phenomenon we experienced as AP or The shamanic Journey is actually according to brain wave patterns more of an in between place between being awake and asleep. You could call it a hypnagogic trance. Still yet others experience extatic states that have nothing to do with sleeping. They get there by hanging from hooks by their flesh, or signing and dancing for ungodly hours. Under these conditions generally the experience is much more crisper than a dream even a lucid one is. The environment in a lot of ways tends to act like you are literally a spirit. If you get there through vibrations typically you are in the space For AP. For a while I became so used to vibrations it felt like they stopped happening. I have since become aware of a low background humm that I can nkt only hear but feel as well. They are still there, but the amplitude for me now is calm constant.

In a dream you can pick things up and interact with it, during the journey it dosn’t work like that though you can manifest thought forms that you can interact with. Some will say it’s and artifact of thinking you are a spirit, but it’s just not true. I have consulted with dozens and dozens of people over the years that have found themselves there spontaneously and they think they are awake not a spirit and the environment behaves in a similar way. It’s not for the faint of heart. I spent years on this forum trying to calm people down when they found themselves there. Young people freaked out who’s parents want to throw them on anti phsycotics and other drugs simply or experiencing something that people have since there were people. 

There are other places too. Worlds. Dimentions ...realms.... what ever you want to call it.  Generally these are probably not physical places for you can interact there and the beings there are aware of you. 

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/30/2020 at 6:36 PM, Davros of Skaro said:

It's the same thing except a measure of belief.

Incorrect. Some people have no idea what is happening to them. It has also been studied. In non woo terms “AP” is more of a form of hypnogia. Though some still consider it dreaming as another term for it is Wake Induced lucid dream (WILD). Typical dreaming and a WILD happen during differnt stages of “uncocousnes.” Concousnes itself is like a continuum or a rainbow. One place and color meld into another yet Red and Blue are quite different. What is typically considered lucid dreaming happens in Blue while the journey happens in red if you will. There are outliers. People like Mr. Walker have different kinds of minds. I have only met one other. I don’t understand what happens with them because they are so rare and I can’t repeat their level of control. 

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/3/2020 at 7:34 PM, Mr Walker said:

Whereas for me, they are identical.

But ive been controlling lucid dreaming since i was young, (1950s)  constructing narratives,  characters scenes  etc.,   even before i go to sleep.

All my dreams and projections of consciousness are as real in every way as a waking experience.

The y include tastes,  feeling, smells etc. I can read etc in them BUT because  i know i am dreaming and anything is possible in a dream,  then i can make anything happen  including flying, walking through walls, etc.,  just by an exercise of will.  I can go anywhere/ anytime, including across the galaxy, or back in time to live in different historical periods;  OR live as a part /character of books or movies etc. 

So for me, the only way to be sure if something is a projection of my consciousness in real time, rather than just a constructed lucid dream Is to  check and verify what i observed, using outside sources.

Ps one difference  i just thought of.

Projection of consciousness always involves  conscious travel either a short distance or a long one There is thus a starting point (my current home bedroom)  and  direction/destination. I can describe what i saw along the way, and when i arrived.

In projection my disembodied consciousness does nothing but observe and sometimes connect into a character to see through their senses  I am basically invisible incorporeal and  all  I can see of my body  (if anything) is my hands in a diving position to  reduce air friction or perhaps maintain stability in flight

Yes i know its illogical, if your body is immaterial, but your mind needs a logical  framework, even in dreams  Maybe it's because that is how superman flew in my childhood memories 

Adventures Of Superman - Color Flying With Superman - YouTube

Superman and the Mole-Men | Scifist

Other dreams are more varied. The y can start, finish, and occur, anywhere. 

I don’t think it’s illogical at all. I can feel the wind. Even if it’s only a mental artifact, if I can feel it, it makes a lot more sense to reduce the pressure. 

13 hours ago, White Crane Feather said:

I don’t think it’s illogical at all. I can feel the wind. Even if it’s only a mental artifact, if I can feel it, it makes a lot more sense to reduce the pressure. 

True but when you KNOW you are dreaming/projecting your consciousness, and KNOW there is no actual body or wind resistance, it is hard to explain.

I think i explained about the time i  projected my consciousness over the Serengeti plain and got covered with dust  from herd animals 

it felt  so uncomfortable that i flew through the Zambezi/Victoria   falls, to wash the dust off, and cool down :)   

Ps Nice to see you are still alive and kicking. :) 

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

Hahah yeah I got cold once...hahaha I knew it shouldn’t be possible, but it was windy and raining so my mind told me I should be cold. Hahaha