Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Why so many of us believe in ghosts

Eldorado

Unlikely as it might seem in the cold light of day, ghosts and hauntings are a mainstream area of belief.

Recent studies by YouGov in the UK and the USA show that between 30% and 50% of the population says they believe in ghosts.

Belief in ghosts also appears to be global, with most (if not all) cultures around the world having some widely accepted kind of ghosts.

The existence of a ghost as an incorporeal (bodyless) soul or spirit of a dead person or animal is contrary to the laws of nature as we understand them, so it seems there is something here that calls for explanation.

Full article at The Conversation: Link

• Like 2

the13bats
53 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

The existence of a ghost as an incorporeal (bodyless) soul or spirit of a dead person

If this is the question then no, i do not believe in ghosts, i would be delighted to be proven wrong.

However, while it has a lot of holes and flaws i do in a speculative theory way think there could be some version of a "stone tape" phenomenon.

papageorge1

I would be one predisposed to not believe in ghosts but I have to say I converted to a belief beyond reasonable doubt from a thoughtful examination of the cumulative evidence.

XenoFish

I honestly think grief and the uncertainty of death fuels the belief in ghost. 

• Like 4

Desertrat56

My grandson used to talk to his deceased step dad.  Once my daughter was thinking about him and feeling guilty for his death when my grandson (who was 3 at the time) came in to the kitchen and told her "you did nothing wrong."  then he went back to playing.  There is more to us than our physical experiences, and maybe there are not ghosts but I think there is some way that we continue without our physical body.  Sometimes people will fall prey to disreputable charlatans that can convince them that loved ones are speaking to this "special" charlatan from the grave, but if we pay attention we can get our own messages and if that is just some mind trick we do to our selves to feel better, then maybe that is what it is.  But when a child knows things he doesn't understand or responds in a way that indicates someone who is no longer on the planet in a human body is communicating then how do you explain it?

Ghosts, demons, poltergeist all can be and often are a figment or manifestation of an imbalanced mind, but that does not mean every incidence is that.

• Like 3

Aroundthecorner

We are of earth and our minds have been conditioned to fear certain things all irrational from spiders to the dark, hey some people have genuine fears of spoons and red shoes.

Ghosts are nothing more than our minds playing havoc with our eyes ears and even taste buds, go walk into a cooler freezer bet you get a cold chill feeling, walk down a dark alleyway at night bet you feel like your being watched or something is going to jump out at you. My elders go mad at me sometimes, I respect our culture and the of the land part of our ways, but I draw the line at spirits amongst us.

Here in WA we have one spirit called Julana he hid beneath the hot sands and when a female walked past he would jump out and rape her, great story from the Dreaming but in reality nothing more than a warning not to go out alone. Over time this story and many others around the world get turned into other stories which in turn create sightings and the like.