Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Poverty in America

LightAngel

I'm studying poverty in America - it's heartbreaking!

I don't think America will be able to unite with such devastating poverty. 

What do you think?

"Millions of Americans Fall Into Poverty While Billionaire Wealth SOARS"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

Nothing will change because we have mostly rich people in politics here. They are not going to change anything that affects their wealth.

Just look at the fighting between the House and Senate over another round of stimulus checks while 22 million Americans have lost their jobs. Anything helps when you have bills and reduced or zero income.

And the video shows how pathetic our system is here, thank you for  sharing it.

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

The guy seems to just ramble without saying anything.    Why didn't he go into how the billionaires made the money?    Obviously Amazon made a fortune because so many people stayed home and ordered stuff they needed.  Not sure about the other ones because he didn't break it down.

• Like 5

I haven't watched that particular video and likely won't... don't think my heart is up to it right now to be honest.

The foundation of this transfer of wealth started decades ago and is built on the stairs of the Federal Reserve and the rise of the Military Industrial Complex.  Combined with Reagan's attack on the Unions and Clinton's repeal of Glass-Steagall that paved the way for the 2008 collapse and bailout, followed by the latest bailout for Corona, that saw billions going to the largest corporations, while the small and independent businesses are left to atrophy.  This last bailout was the single greatest monetary tax grab and redistribution to the 1% by those in power ever achieved, and no one could protest as it was illegal to go out during lockdown.

The loans that were made available to small businesses?  The lack of transparency in how those funds were distributed?  Watch the process unfold over the next few years and see how many small businesses survive and how many are gobbled up after they atrophy by the already massive corporations who received not just low interest loans, but massive grants as well.

The middle class is being fed on like a weakened, dying carcass by those with influence.  While they on one hand tell folks they can't open their businesses, they refuse to support the very citizens who put them in office with any kind of monetary support.  Homes lost, lifetime savings lost, families on the street.  Can you hear the whimpering America?  It's happening.

America is a Corporate Oligarchy that pays lip service to Democracy, but those in power, serve those with influence first and any remaining crumbs are sprinkled stingely around their table and then they b**** about how much they're spending on 'the poor'. 

Reagan really championed the sentiment held by many in power that poverty is a disease, and that if you contract it, you likely deserved it and should deal with it on your own.

Democraps and Republican'ts like to bray loudly in public about their supposed disagreements regarding budgets for social safety nets, civil unions, gun reform and everyone's favorite, abortion and keep us talking about these and feeling distant and disconnected from each other.  Yet all the while the majority of issues they agree on... namely military hegemony and a nigh on unlimited budget and military presence around the world, the steady eroding of personal freedoms and a constant, unquestioned whole hearted agreement to fully legislate and provide handouts to the most influential of corporate interests.

America is dead, for some time now.

'Murica is gasping and whimpering.

Murika will be the corpse picked clean.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, LightAngel said:

What do you think?

This fellow says that there is a fixed amount of money, if the rich have it you don’t. I don’t think it works that way. This chart shows what billionaires do with their money: 
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/07/where-the-super-rich-keep-their-money.html

The vast majority of it is invested in enterprises that provide jobs. Amazon has over750,000 employees. 

• Like 5

Lets see how babbling i can be,

poverty is heart breaking, but im not sure what the fix is, the world lives by the golden rule he who has the gold makes the rules, what part of the country are you in?

Its also perspective, there was near haiti 3 bros island, no power, no running water, work hard to survive their " poverty" is beyond imaginations, yet to them many considered to be in poverty in America would be "rich" by their standards

As far as america cant unite due to poverty what do you suggest, a star trek type world where money doesnt exist and humans are all equals working for a common goal? Great in sci fi not in real life, it just wont happen anytime soon,

Some rich people do help others but there arent many lining up to hand out all their wealth to others and its not just them being rich that causes others to be in poverty,  the way its worded i cant help but think you are blaming rich for dividing people, its not that black and white more a shade of candy apple grey. Im at my worse low of my entire life but its not preventing my unity with others nor do i blame people more well off than i am.

Proverty is an epic issue but its only one of many issues keeping people from uniting heck racism divides people in a worse way due to its foundation in hate.

Hopefully things will across the board start getting better as far as bringing people back together here in the US.

Over 20 hrs up i need to crash.

• Thanks 1

There are many definitions of poverty, many types.  A few years ago I was officially in poverty according to the usual charts.  I had an Obama phone.  Then we got a 1.6% raise in Social Security and now I'm $33 a year above the poverty line.  So now I'm officially not in poverty, but I don't have a phone either.  They turned it off when I became too rich.  So now I'm actually worse off than when I was poorer.  I've seen food stamp offices with a drive thru window.  They assume that people who are too poor to feed themselves will still have a car.  I've seen luxury cars loading up at the Free Store, and people with mink coats, Starter jackets and smart phones claiming they need help.  A lot of poverty is in the mind.  I've always said there are two ways to be rich, have more or want less.  A rich man who wants a bigger yacht is still poor in his own mind.  I live on less than minimum wage but I have my own home and I eat well and have very few debts or worries.  Poverty is also determined by how you manage the resources you have.  Many with good incomes live like they're poor due to mixed up priorities.  Spending the rent money on a wild weekend doesn't just happen in country songs.  I don't have a cell phone or cable TV, I don't eat out in nice restaurants or have the latest toys but you won't hear me complaining or see me with my hand out because I'm not that poor, I manage well and have all that I need.  My attitude and values have always been middle class even when I have not been.  It's all in how you see things and what you consider important.  

Edited by Big Jim
one dropped letter
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

If you are really interested in this topic you should specifically look at Mountain View California.   Even years ago that particular city was known for the huge wealth disparity between people.  You have a large Mexican community often coming from Mexico just years ago.  Then you have the Tech rich who have bought up most of the available housing.  That said the Silicon Valley is odd as those who have a large amount of money often do not believe themselves Rich as the housing costs are so crushing along with taxation.  They able to lead middle class lives with some disposable income in the Valley but would be at the lower end of upper class elsewhere. 

That said though while you could argue with Trickle down economics , trickle down electronics are absolutely irrefutable.  So you can go to good will or the now defunct weird stuff and buy high end electronics for pennies on the dollar.  IE wealth vs quality of life are not equitable.  

Even Jesus said, “you will always have the poor,” which suggests a condition of humanity that is permanent.

The solution of new bodies, engineered in a better way to overcome the limitations of organic life is hard to imagine how, but I believe in the possibility.

This idea was first proposed by the same Man who said that you will always have the poor. He also said, the last will be first, which is an enigmatic forecast, until you consider that those who serve others in this life are often last. In other words, be nice to those you serve you.

Edited by Raptor Witness

If we want to make any progress with poverty we need to understand that Jeff Bezsos being rich does not make others poor.

Wealth creates wealth.

Wealth is not finite. There is not a set amount of money in the world. People use to believe their was a set amount. It was called mercantilism and was one of the reasons for colonialism. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Big Jim said:

and have all that I need

Perhaps thats a puzzle piece, wanting is different that "need" and some dont have all we "need", so move it from the need pile to the want pile and then its okay, because a "want" can be done without, no, i havent a clue what im babbling about.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LightAngel said:

What do you think?

wait up don't your comments break janteloven commenting on otherness 

16 hours ago, travelnjones said:

Huh? :lol:

I'm highly individualistic - the Jante Law does not exist in practice.

We Danes just don't like smart-asses - but isn't that a universal thing?! :)

20 hours ago, Big Jim said:

It's all in how you see things and what you consider important.  

Some of the happiest and most satisfied people I have seen were mostly middle class - or little over or under the middle class.

Some of the least satisfied people I have seen were either very poor or very rich.

Of course, we can't generalize, but I think the middle way is the healthiest for the human mind and body.

When people can't get food on the table, then I consider them to be poor.

However, poverty is a complex issue and not just a state of mind - we shouldn't ignore sociological science.

18 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

Huh? :lol:

I'm highly individualistic - the Jante Law does not exist in practice.

We Danes just don't like smart-asses - but isn't that a universal thing?! :)

Some of the happiest and most satisfied people I have seen were mostly middle class - or little over or under the middle class.

Some of the least satisfied people I have seen were either very poor or very rich.

Of course, we can't generalize, but I think the middle way is the healthiest for the human mind and body.

When people can't get food on the table, then I consider them to be poor.

However, poverty is a complex issue and not just a state of mind - we shouldn't ignore sociological science.

I'm not suggesting we ignore anything, and that includes the mental aspects of poverty.  In this country it is nearly impossible to not have food on the table, we give it away almost to the point of forcing it on people.  Meals on Wheels will bring it to your door.  No one will starve.  But how poverty affects a person is determined in large part by their own attitude.  Your opening post makes a reference to billionaires' income going up.  Dwelling on that for more than the time it takes to read it will help anyone to feel inadequate and miserable.  Envy is a great source of agony that is totally voluntary.  Would a poor person's condition be improved if there were no rich people?  Is anyone happier for despising them?  I think what makes the very rich and very poor unsatisfied is their focus on money.  The middle class benefits from balance in their lives.  Middle class is a frame of mind as much as an economic strata.  The Middle Way is a tenet of Buddhism and probably a lot of other religions and philosophies for a reason.  It applies to more than just one's income level.  Of course there is poverty, but it's companion doesn't need to be misery.  I've been much poorer than I am now.  I remember a time when I had no car, no job, no TV and I delayed eviction by repairing furniture for my landlord.  My groceries for the week were a pack of hot dogs and buns.  And a 25 cent box of brownie mix for a treat on Saturday night.  I would whistle a happy tune on my walk to the library and was no less happy than I am today.  Had I wallowed in misery I would probably still be there, or worse.

• Like 6

Big jim is hitting on some mind engaging stuff for me,

When i was in highschool needless to say i wasnt a "cool rich kid" yeah, all the cool kids at my school were rich, until i dropped out and got into the music biz and learned what "cool" was, its perception, most things are based on our own point of view.

My burner and misfit friends would see rich kids usually neglecting taking for granted a nice new car their folks bought them and get really p***ed and jealous and i never grasp that because if any of those misfit kids were offered a free whatever they are a liar if they say they wouldnt take it.

I wasnt jealous of the rich nor was i sad about it i just did what i could with what i could,

And yeah, here while the food may not be on the table no one has to go hungry, those "will work for food" panhandlers have to get a permit and thats their job, free meals and food are here.

I really cant grasp that proverty divides people unless its stuff like the poor are jealous and sour grapes over the rich and the rich arent handing out free passes to mar la go, 

How much money i have doesnt really dictate how i feel, my health does and 2020 is a evil jack hammer on my type of issues, sure extra toad pelts would make life a bit easier and in turn make me more comfortable so i guess make me happier,  maybe.

Ive been low and ive been middle all my life never been rich if anyone wants to send me a tall stack of toad pelts ill try out living high and let you know if its any better.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2020 at 8:10 PM, travelnjones said:

Isnt that related to "the borg" which also sounds Nordic

On 11/9/2020 at 12:30 AM, Raptor Witness said:

In other words, be nice to those you serve you.

Just for your information, I treat everyone the same - I don't care if people are black or white, or poor or rich, or religious or non-religious, etc.

I care about people's personality most of all!

And true happiness comes from within - it isn't about money - but when you live in a human body, you need food, etc.

So, I posted this topic because many Americans have lost their jobs because of the coronavirus, etc.

However, this topic isn't about me - so, let's get back to what this topic is about.

16 hours ago, Big Jim said:

I'm not suggesting we ignore anything, and that includes the mental aspects of poverty.  

Then show it to me!

The fact that you and others are strong enough to handle the challenges - is a great thing - but please don't ignore the fact that we are as different as our fingerprints ( and don't forget that everybody can break ).

Where is your compassion for the broken?! 

All the mentally sick people who are homeless, but belongs in a home full of love and understanding and proper treatment!?

On 11/8/2020 at 1:08 PM, South Alabam said:

Nothing will change because we have mostly rich people in politics here. They are not going to change anything that affects their wealth.

Just look at the fighting between the House and Senate over another round of stimulus checks while 22 million Americans have lost their jobs. Anything helps when you have bills and reduced or zero income.

And the video shows how pathetic our system is here, thank you for  sharing it.

You are welcome.

I wanted Bernie Sanders to win - who did you vote for?

I can create my own paradise. However, I'm the kind of person who can't close my eyes to the misery I see around me.

You also seem to care, so thank you for caring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

Just for your information, I treat everyone the same - I don't care if people are black or white, or poor or rich, or religious or non-religious, etc.

I care about people's personality most of all!

And true happiness comes from within - it isn't about money - but when you live in a human body, you need food, etc.

So, I posted this topic because many Americans have lost their jobs because of the coronavirus, etc.

However, this topic isn't about me - so, let's get back to what this topic is about.

It was the descendants of African slaves who appear to have delivered U.S. from the tyrant Trump.

• Confused 1

On 11/8/2020 at 3:16 AM, LightAngel said:

What do you think?

I think this video is naive.  I didn't need to watch more than the first couple of minutes. 

To make a connection that the wealthy getting wealthier causes more people to fall into poverty is working under a false assumption, and is factually wrong, that assumption being that there is limited wealth to be distributed.  There is not.  Most of these billionaires got where they are by utilizing their ideas to create new wealth.  Jeff Bezos for example has created 798,000 well paying jobs.  The wealth gap also works under the false assumption that a gap in wealth is necessarily a bad thing.  An example that most of us can relate to is this.  JK Rowling wrote a series of novels about a young magic user at a school for wizards.  Enough people bought these books at around $20.00 US each, watched the movies, and bought Harry Potter merchandise that JK Rowling is now a billionaire.  That's a huge gap between her and her readers.  Did the people that purchased her creations get robbed of their money?  Was there some kind of injustice here?  How about your mobile phone?  Billionaires have been created among the people who make these.  You spend hundreds of dollars or possibly more on your cell phone.  Did you get a good deal?  Has this product improved your life?  Should the companies and individuals that run them not get paid for their ideas and labor?  How many people producing these devices make a living for themselves and their families?  Hundreds of thousands?  Millions world wide possibly?  

I think people assume that billionaires are sitting on a huge pile of money, hording it while others starve.  This is false.  Probably no billionaire could show you a billion dollars because their money is invested.  It's invested in other peoples companies which provide jobs and create yet more wealth and certainly they hope to get a return on their investments. Don't believe videos like the one you posted here. With economies as large as those we live in today billionaires are inevitable and actually desirable just as millionaires were years ago.  Taking money from the wealthy in order to lift people out of poverty is a bad move. It takes away the incentive to innovate and create new wealth and thus shrinks economies ultimately driving more people into poverty.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 6

Crap like this is why socialism is so popular these days. The idea that rich *******s should be allowed to have multiple private jets while the poor starve, suffer, and can't get healthcare is sickening to me.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Autochthon1990 said:

Crap like this is why socialism is so popular these days. The idea that rich *******s should be allowed to have multiple private jets while the poor starve, suffer, and can't get healthcare is sickening to me.

Dude.....Give everything you have to the poor. 

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

cartoon-male-professional-office-worker-Clueless

cartoon-male-professional-office-worker-Archcapitalist Bootlicker

@Autochthon1990 You work for a billionaire you twit. :lol:  It's because of a billionaire that you have a job and really good health insurance.  Before Starbucks how much do you think a person in a coffee shop made?  And I guarantee you they didn't have health insurance. 

• Haha 2