Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is there a piece of our moon behind Mars ?

UM-Bot

5 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

Scientists have discovered that an asteroid trailing behind Mars could actually be a fragment of the Moon.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/340754/is-there-a-piece-of-our-moon-behind-mars

Thanks very much for sharing, this is very interesting to me personall! Because it also makes it possible that some meteorites in people's collects could also be Moon rocks. Few people who collect them have the money to have them analyzed properly, and Moon rocks are very very valuable, so this may cause collectors to have pieces from their collections checked out which is good for Science and our knowledge in general. Moon rocks that have fallen to earth have been found at different locations over the years, but recently one that was found sold for an extremely large sum in 2020.

moon rock known as "NWA 12691" which weighs 13.5 kilograms (30 lb), was found in the Sahara Desertat the Algerian and Mauritanian borders in January 2017,[7] and later went on sale for $2.5 Million in 2020.[8]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_rock

The piece is playing Hide and Seek

On 11/8/2020 at 2:51 PM, Manwon Lender said:

Thanks very much for sharing, this is very interesting to me personall! Because it also makes it possible that some meteorites in people's collects could also be Moon rocks. Few people who collect them have the money to have them analyzed properly, and Moon rocks are very very valuable, so this may cause collectors to have pieces from their collections checked out which is good for Science and our knowledge in general. Moon rocks that have fallen to earth have been found at different locations over the years, but recently one that was found sold for an extremely large sum in 2020.

You would have to Google it for sure, but I think I read about geologists finding what they thought were Mars rocks in Antarctica.  About 8-10 years ago maybe.  Do you know of it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

You would have to Google it for sure, but I think I read about geologists finding what they thought were Mars rocks in Antarctica.  About 8-10 years ago maybe.  Do you know of it?

I wouldn't be surprised at all Tate, Alaska, Antarctica, and deserts are the easiest places to hunt for Meteorites. Because you see them or their impact sights especially against a white back ground. In the desert, at first they become buried, but as time goes by and weathering occurs they become exposed again. when hunting for them you must look for rocks that do not blend in with the material at that location. A metal detector is also a must since all meteorites contain some form of metal. I have a small collection that I found over the years none of mine are rare, but its still cool to sit and look at something that came from space. The first one I found was at the National Training Center (NTC) in the Mojavi Desert in California. Some of the military units I was assigned to would do annual rotation there for training on a rotation in 1986, i found my first meteorite just like explained above. I saw it at  decent distance, and I knew what found because like said it didn't fit into the landscape, it was the black colored rock different than any I had seen in the area. When I arrived home and had some spare to verify what I found I took the rock to the University of Washington and a professor tested it and verified that it was an Iron based meteorite which are the most common found.  

Thanks for the heads up about that, I will check it out when I have time, take care Tate.

• Like 1