Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nurse charged with murder of eight babies at a UK hospital

Still Waters

A nurse has been charged with eight counts of murder and 10 counts of attempted murder in connection with baby deaths at a hospital in Cheshire.

Lucy Letby, 30, is due to appear at Warrington Magistrates' Court on Thursday, a spokesman for Cheshire police said.

A statement from the force said Letby had been charged following an ongoing investigation into a number of baby deaths and non-fatal collapses on the neonatal unit at the Countess of Chester Hospital.

"Lucy Letby, of Arran Avenue, Hereford, is facing eight charges of murder and 10 charges of attempted murder. The charges relate to the period of June 2015 to June 2016.

https://news.sky.com/story/nurse-charged-with-murder-over-baby-deaths-at-cheshire-hospital-12130273

• Confused 1
  • Sad 9

• The title was changed to Nurse charged with murder of eight babies

OMG. Those poor families. This is just evil.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This is really disturbing. :( How can somebody look like her and be a serial killer?

• Like 6

• 10 months later...

Lucy has been charged today: 

A nurse has pleaded not guilty to murdering eight babies and attempting to murder another 10.

Lucy Letby, 31, is accused of murdering five boys and three girls at the Countess of Chester Hospital between June 2015 and June 2016.

She is also accused of the attempted murder of five boys and five girls.

Ms Letby, of Arran Avenue in Hereford, repeated "not guilty" to all 18 charges as she appeared at Manchester Crown Court via video-link.

She is due to go on trial in October 2022.

Lucy Letby: Nurse denies murdering eight babies - BBC News

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

It sadly seems like more and more sickos like this are coming out of the woodwork these days. I look forward to the justice system giving her what she deserves, although she deserves a lot worse than they can legally do.

• Like 6

I just can't understand why someone would do something like that. 

• Like 5

On 11/11/2020 at 9:21 PM, Katniss said:

This is really disturbing. :( How can somebody look like her and be a serial killer?

With crimes as heinous as THIS, I prefer to believe insanity is the cause.  For a trained professional to target babies, over and over, would take a level of evil that is unimaginable to me. :( 

• Like 6

Poor little innocent babies! How on earth can a human be that evil and cruel? I suspect that there is an underlying story here. Either she has lost one or more infants of her own, or found out she can't have babies. Maybe something happened to send her into a permanent state of evil. I don't know and don't want to, because nothing could excuse this vicious insanity. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Lucy Letby: Nurse accused of baby murders cleared of one charge

A nurse accused of multiple baby murders has had a not guilty verdict recorded for one of the charges.

Lucy Letby was initially charged with murdering five boys and three girls at the Countess of Chester Hospital between June 2015 and June 2016.

Nick Johnson, QC, said the prosecution was offering no evidence on one of the counts of murder during a hearing at Manchester Crown Court.

The defendant, of Arran Avenue, Hereford, was remanded into custody to appear for a further pre-trial hearing on 29 July.

Her trial, estimated to last up to six months at Manchester Crown Court, is scheduled to begin on 4 October.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-61759823

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

• The title was changed to Nurse charged with murder of eight babies at a UK hospital
  • 4 months later...

A "poisoner was at work" at a hospital where there was a "significant rise" in the number of healthy babies dying, a court has heard.

Lucy Letby has been accused of murdering five baby boys and two girls, and attempting to murder 10 other babies at Countess of Chester hospital.

Nick Johnson KC, prosecuting, said she was a "constant malevolent presence" in the hospital's neonatal unit.

Ms Letby, 32, of Hereford, denies 22 charges at Manchester Crown Court.

Jurors heard Ms Letby is alleged to have tried to kill one child three times, while another died as a result of being injected with air.

Family members of some of the babies concerned in the case were among those present in the court as Mr Johnson opened the prosecution.

The jury has been told the trial may last up to six months.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-63201201

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

It's too bad the UK no longer has capital punishment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A nurse accused of murdering seven babies in a hospital neonatal unit wrote: “I killed them on purpose because I’m not good enough to care for them,” a court has heard.

The trial of Lucy Letby was told on Thursday that police had recovered several handwritten documents from her home after her arrest in July 2018.

On one note shown to the jury, headlined “Not good enough,” she wrote: “I will never have children or marry. I will never know what it’s like to have a family” and “I can’t breathe.”

On another, she wrote “I am a horrible evil person” and on another in capital letters: “I AM EVIL I DID THIS,” the jury was told.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/oct/13/lucy-letby-police-found-note-saying-i-killed-them-on-purpose-court-hears

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

A nurse accused of murdering seven babies in a hospital neonatal unit wrote: “I killed them on purpose because I’m not good enough to care for them,” a court has heard.

The trial of Lucy Letby was told on Thursday that police had recovered several handwritten documents from her home after her arrest in July 2018.

On one note shown to the jury, headlined “Not good enough,” she wrote: “I will never have children or marry. I will never know what it’s like to have a family” and “I can’t breathe.”

On another, she wrote “I am a horrible evil person” and on another in capital letters: “I AM EVIL I DID THIS,” the jury was told.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/oct/13/lucy-letby-police-found-note-saying-i-killed-them-on-purpose-court-hears

If she could not care for them she could have let another nurse take charge, or quit if was too much to handle.

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

Nurse Lucy Letby has been found guilty of murdering seven babies on a neonatal unit, making her the UK's most prolific child serial killer in modern times.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-65960514

Hospital bosses failed to investigate allegations against Lucy Letby and tried to silence doctors, the lead consultant at the neonatal unit where she worked has told the BBC.

The hospital also delayed calling the police despite months of warnings that the nurse may have been killing babies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66120934

• Like 5

We have a new thread about this, it's here:

• Thanks 1

• The topic was locked