Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
UM-Bot

Chinese lanterns and mass UFO sightings

TrikeTrash

As kids we launched tons of these things back in the 70's. Except that instead of paper, we used dry-cleaner bags and Sterno; that made it look much more spooky and gave it a blue glow. After launch, we'd turn on the radio and wait for the "ufo" reports. Great fun. We stopped doing it when we had one go bad - it landed on a neighbors roof and caught fire. My brother and I hid in the bushes, terrified that it was going to catch the house on fire. It eventually burned itself out and we never made another one...

• Like 4

Jon the frog

Until you know it's a lantern, per definition it's a UFO...

Edited by Jon the frog

Seti42

I've seen them. The first time I did, it was freaky, as I didn't know what I was looking at. With a little research, I figured it out.

tortugabob

Most UFO sightings turn out to Chinese lanterns, weather balloons, police drones or swamp gas. UFO whackos will even call geese flying high up UFOs. Everything is from outer space in their whacko world.

astrobeing

With all the fires that we have here in the Pacific Northwest I'm shocked that people are allowed to send floating fire up into the sky.

• Like 1

DreadLordAvatar
1 hour ago, astrobeing said:

With all the fires that we have here in the Pacific Northwest I'm shocked that people are allowed to send floating fire up into the sky.

Actually, it’s the dems and antifa promoting arson. Come on bruh, everyone knows that.

• Haha 2

OpenMindedSceptic

What a pointless, patronising article. "Slow news day for the Dorset Echo" should have been the headline.

• Like 1

Mr Walker
On 11/13/2020 at 10:48 AM, astrobeing said:

Well. kids do a lot of things they are not "allowed  to" We made them back in the 70s but the very light green garbage bin liners you can buy now would be much more effective  Ive sent a few up using just hot air but the y arent as spectacular as when they have light in them.   (perhaps a very cheap, light, flashing diode light would look good  

the13bats
On 11/12/2020 at 7:18 PM, astrobeing said:

Iirc they are not legal here ( florida ) but i see tons on the coast when we go night dirt pirating

• Like 1

Mr Walker
On 11/25/2020 at 5:24 PM, the13bats said:

Iirc they are not legal here ( florida ) but i see tons on the coast when we go night dirt pirating

Ok you got me

The term doesn't even appear on google,  so what is night dirt pirating ? closest i could find was jumping bikes  over mounds or structures a t night-time 

Unless you  are stealing someone's night soil :) 

• Haha 1

the13bats
42 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Ok you got me

The term doesn't even appear on google,  so what is night dirt pirating ? closest i could find was jumping bikes  over mounds or structures a t night-time 

Unless you  are stealing someone's night soil :) 

My dirt bike days are past, i went to 3 wheels due to inner ear issues, harder to fall off a trike, lol.

dirt pirate,  gues it sounds like i steal dirt, some call it dirt fishing but its metal detecting, i live in florida not far from the beaches and we go there but being i dont care for blazing heat, the bright sun or crowds we go at night, we use a headlight and its nice and peaceful, 

We havent been much since early 2020 but our yard is pretty full.

Mr Walker
1 hour ago, the13bats said:

My dirt bike days are past, i went to 3 wheels due to inner ear issues, harder to fall off a trike, lol.

dirt pirate,  gues it sounds like i steal dirt, some call it dirt fishing but its metal detecting, i live in florida not far from the beaches and we go there but being i dont care for blazing heat, the bright sun or crowds we go at night, we use a headlight and its nice and peaceful, 

We havent been much since early 2020 but our yard is pretty full.

Ok. I watch a lot of metal detecting and magnet fishing shows  (my fav. is GMMD ) but id never heard it called that  :) Thanks for the heads up.

My brother finds quite a lot of gold around Australia on old gold fields  using a metal detector  and also a wide range of precious stones just fossicking . He has them cut and sometimes mounted into the gold nuggets which he has given to his wife and daughters. Most years he spends 3-5 weeks on fields  from western Australia over to Queensland or Victoria.

He had a lot of trouble getting away this year, with covid, and didn't have much luck, only finding a few grams. But usually he finds at least a few ounces and has half a dozen nuggets about an inch in diameter and in various shapes 

We have quite big nuggets in Australia, and i do have a laugh at some of the Americans who get excited with tiny flakes of alluvial gold.

I guess you  are more into detecting rings coins etc  There's a bloke in Sydney who has a you tube channel, who finds lost jewellery etc., underwater and on beaches  for people,  but there isn't enough people in our area to make that viable or interesting  

the13bats
7 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Ok. I watch a lot of metal detecting and magnet fishing shows  (my fav. is GMMD ) but id never heard it called that  :) Thanks for the heads up.

My brother finds quite a lot of gold around Australia on old gold fields  using a metal detector  and also a wide range of precious stones just fossicking . He has them cut and sometimes mounted into the gold nuggets which he has given to his wife and daughters. Most years he spends 3-5 weeks on fields  from western Australia over to Queensland or Victoria.

He had a lot of trouble getting away this year, with covid, and didn't have much luck, only finding a few grams. But usually he finds at least a few ounces and has half a dozen nuggets about an inch in diameter and in various shapes 

We have quite big nuggets in Australia, and i do have a laugh at some of the Americans who get excited with tiny flakes of alluvial gold.

I guess you  are more into detecting rings coins etc  There's a bloke in Sydney who has a you tube channel, who finds lost jewellery etc., underwater and on beaches  for people,  but there isn't enough people in our area to make that viable or interesting  

Ive a lot of hobbies been into MD since i was a kid, a number of years back my wife got hot into it so i got her a top of the line waterproof minelab detector, made in your neck of the woods,  shes found cool stuff under water at boat docks.

I dont prospect per say too boring i do coin shoot and relic hunt, i enjoy every hit tina pretty much is only jazzed when its of value, over at new Smyrna beach once she hits at about a foot deep a cache of coins very oddly including modem silver dollars, odd because people dont really carry or use them here, at the same time i fine over 40 hot wheels toy cars in a spot about 2 foot deep ny about 2 foot wide where i guess some kid was playing,

My find was basically worthless but it was fun to me,

I look forward to doing our own yard better 100 plus yo place that has a cool past including being a B&B and speak easy,

• Like 1

Mr Walker
4 hours ago, the13bats said:

Ive a lot of hobbies been into MD since i was a kid, a number of years back my wife got hot into it so i got her a top of the line waterproof minelab detector, made in your neck of the woods,  shes found cool stuff under water at boat docks.

I dont prospect per say too boring i do coin shoot and relic hunt, i enjoy every hit tina pretty much is only jazzed when its of value, over at new Smyrna beach once she hits at about a foot deep a cache of coins very oddly including modem silver dollars, odd because people dont really carry or use them here, at the same time i fine over 40 hot wheels toy cars in a spot about 2 foot deep ny about 2 foot wide where i guess some kid was playing,

My find was basically worthless but it was fun to me,

I look forward to doing our own yard better 100 plus yo place that has a cool past including being a B&B and speak easy,

I was geocaching for about 10 years. It was partly the physical  activity/exploration of new places,  involved, but also the thrill of the chase /hunt, which  got to me The young relatives I often  took with me thought of it as treasure hunting. 

I imagine that metal detecting has similar rewards and benefits 

Edited by Mr Walker